Rate The Last Movie You Watched

1364 replies to this topic

#1251 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 16:54

Wikipedia said:

Variety gave the film a mixed review stating the film had a "cold, steely blue, black and gray 'Matrix'-y look" going on to say Daybreakers "emerges as a competent but routine chase thriller that lacks attention-getting dialogue, unique characters or memorable setpieces that might make it a genre keeper rather than a polished time-filler."

I think that sums it up really. It's a good watch, but it's not something I would go out of my way to watch again.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#1252 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 18:57

Black Death

One of the more interesting Horror/Action films I've watched in a long time, taking place during the black plague, a young monk takes a group of mercenaries to a remote village which may or may not hold a witch, the film is incredible tense, relying on atmosphere and unseen evil instead of cheap shocks and gore. The ending is clever yet cruel. And there are no clear evil or good people. It was a little slow in the buildup though.

8/10

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#1253 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:12

Circle of Eight

A girl, Jessica, moves into a new apartment building, and some craxy stuff starts happening, mainly the residents acting rather weirdly and knowing things before they happen. Jessica then starts to see people, dead, but when ever she goes to get help, the dead body disappears.

Spoiler

The film was produced(?) by mountain dew... I think they should really stick to making drinks and sponsoring the dew tour. D; The plot was pretty confusing, and needed more back story. The camera moves, especially at the start, were highly annoying.

4/10

Edited by Bob, 19 February 2011 - 12:13.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#1254 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 19 February 2011 - 23:47

Double Movie Review:

Unknown

Yet another smash hit by Liam Neeson. Easily the most entertaining film I've seen in the past 6 months. The movie takes you on a roller coaster ride around Berlin, and there is even Bruno Ganz (famous for the angry Hitler video clip online). Several good plot twists that definitely weren't expected. Great music score too.

9/10

The King's Speech

This was also an excellent movie. I'll admit I hadn't seen Colin Firth in a drama before, but his acting was terrific. Really moving. The movie felt a little slow sometimes, and in some places, it could have done with some Musical score instead of silence, but overall I felt it had the right amount of comedy thrown in with the drama.

8/10
Posted Image

#1255 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 28 March 2011 - 19:42

Battle: Los Angeles - a 100 of 10 damnit, lol.

I was sceptical at first, after seeing how much its 'competitor', Skyline sucked, but Battle LA really blew my mind. Sound, Visuals, Acting, everything is perfect.
As a bonus, they have a believable alien invasion!

#1256 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 19:49

I didn't think it was perhaps as good as you let on, but it certainly amused me sometimes.

"I'm sorry, captain. We've HAD breakfast."

You almost did, didn't you?

#1257 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 20:19

For me, it was one of the best movies I've watched recently. The story itself was a bit thin, but the rest outweights it.

#1258 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 21:38

Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times panned Battle: Los Angeles in a lengthy review, calling the movie "noisy, violent, ugly and stupid" giving the film a mere half star rating. Though he praised Aaron Eckhart's performance, Ebert heavily criticised the film's writing, effects designs, camerawork and editing. He closed his review by saying, "When I think of the elegant construction of something like "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral," I want to rend the hair from my head and weep bitter tears of despair. Generations of filmmakers devoted their lives to perfecting techniques that a director like Jonathan Liebesman is either ignorant of, or indifferent to. Yet he is given millions of dollars to produce this assault on the attention span of a generation."

I think I'll be skipping it.

Posted Image

#1259 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 23:17

Wat. The critics don't like it, because it's new. And because of prejudice coming from Skyline. It's simply unlike most of today's movies - as in, it's story and it's plot makes sense, mostly. And, here comes the crasher: The aliens aren't superadvanced. And vulnerable to human weaponry. The film INTENTIONALLY shits on a generation of advances, because it intends not to look shiny and with a magic camera that despite nukes going off right in front of it says steady, but rather make it feel like you're right in there, and that it acomplished very well.

#1260 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 23:39

The critics don't like it because it sucks. It's not just Ebert who hates it, it's all of them (even though I trust Ebert's opinion the most).
http://www.rottentom...le-los-angeles/

Summary:

Overlong and overly burdened with war movie clichés, Battle: Los Angeles will entertain only the most ardent action junkies.

Edited by Alias, 28 March 2011 - 23:42.

Posted Image

#1261 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 28 March 2011 - 23:41

View PostSgt. Rho, on 28 Mar 2011, 21:19, said:

For me, it was one of the best movies I've watched recently. The story itself was a bit thin, but the rest outweights it.

Didnt the stupendously overdone bravado get to you? They're tired and hungry, them going back out into the field again (because they already had breakfast figuratively speaking) would make them a liability. Its such a silly film.

Edited by Pav:3d, 28 March 2011 - 23:41.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1262 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:21

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928).

An old silent Carl Dreyer film, The Passion chronicles Joan of Arc's last few days, her trial, her interrogation/torture, and finally, her death. It's mostly famous for 2 things, one of them is Dreyers famous camera-technique. Another is the legendary performance of Renée Jeanne Falconetti as Jean. Falconetti's performance is considered one of the (if not the) greatest in film history. This was also somewhat due to Dreyer whipping her like a mule (figuratively...I hope) until she did exactly what he wanted. Even today, the film has awesomeness en-mass. Apart from Falconetti's performance and Dreyers camera style. The other actors also show great acting skills. And Richard Einhorns latin choir soundtrack (Voices of Light) hits you right from the opening credits.

If you're a film geek, you should watch this films.

10/10

Edited by SquigPie, 29 March 2011 - 06:21.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#1263 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:47

@Alias: So you base your opinion about the movie solely on the opinion of critics?

And I doubt a movie that 'Sucks' is going to gross 151.8 million $...in 9 days.

View PostPav:3d, on 29 Mar 2011, 1:41, said:

Didnt the stupendously overdone bravado get to you? They're tired and hungry, them going back out into the field again (because they already had breakfast figuratively speaking) would make them a liability. Its such a silly film.

Not really, no. I doubt any of the soldiers going back into the field are any more rested than they are.

Edited by Sgt. Rho, 29 March 2011 - 09:51.

#1264 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:18

View PostSgt. Rho, on 29 Mar 2011, 11:47, said:

Nonono, I agree with you on the other things, but never EVER use that argument. By that logic Seltzer and Friedberg make masterpieces.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#1265 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:19

View PostSgt. Rho, on 29 Mar 2011, 20:47, said:

@Alias: So you base your opinion about the movie solely on the opinion of critics?
Of course not, but if the verdict is that unanimous than there must be a pretty good reason for it.

The Bayformers movies grossed 1.5 trillion dollars, doesn't make them good movies by any stretch of the imagination.
Then you have films like Donnie Darko which didn't even break even at the box office yet is a cinematic masterpiece.

Posted Image

#1266 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:26

View PostAlias, on 29 Mar 2011, 12:19, said:

Of course not, but if the verdict is that unanimous than there must be a pretty good reason for it.

Which is, that these critics seem to find everything that is actually good about the movie bad - like the shaky camera for example.

#1267 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:33

View PostSgt. Rho, on 29 Mar 2011, 12:26, said:

Which is, that these critics seem to find everything that is actually good about the movie bad - like the shaky camera for example.

Shaky camera is something that your opinion may vary on. Some people hate it (it does give many people...whats the english word? Bad stomach?) and think it's becoming overused. Other people like it and think it makes it more athmospheric.

For instance. Shaky camera made 'Gamer' SUCK. I had no idea what was going on the last 30 minutes and action scenes was confusing as hell.

Edited by SquigPie, 29 March 2011 - 10:35.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#1268 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:35

View PostSgt. Rho, on 29 Mar 2011, 21:26, said:

Overly cliched, cardboard characters with brainless dialogue and repetitive combat scenes don't sound particularly like desirable characteristics.

If I want to watch a recent alien movie I'll watch District 9, at least that was a brilliant film.

Posted Image

#1269 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:37

View PostAlias, on 29 Mar 2011, 12:35, said:

View PostSgt. Rho, on 29 Mar 2011, 21:26, said:

Overly cliched, cardboard characters with brainless dialogue and repetitive combat scenes don't sound particularly like desirable characteristics.

If I want to watch a recent alien movie I'll watch District 9, at least that was a brilliant film.

District 9 was awesome, although I first found out after having watched it that the Prawns were supposed to have subtitles. Did make it more confusing for me.

Edited by SquigPie, 29 March 2011 - 10:41.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#1270 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 29 March 2011 - 17:29

Watched a trailer for Battle:LA. Wasn't impressed. Too much shaky-cam. Reminded me of Cloverfield.

A good movie to look out for is Cowboys & Aliens :)
Posted Image

#1271 Z_mann

Professional

• 327 posts
  • Projects: Zero Hour Unleashed

Posted 29 March 2011 - 21:49

Black Swan infinity/10

To say anything about the quality of this movie is to mock in the face of his creator and cast. This is a landmark film, in my opinion, one that appears after years of waiting, one that pushes the boundaries of the cinematic art and forever improves the cultural heritage of mankind.

If you are in any capacity to see this picture, go do it now. See it alone, or at least with the intent of embracing it fully; also, preferably in a theater so you can experience the music and the visuals and be overwhelmed. Do not miss it out under any circumstance!

I intend to do a full review of it once a DVD becomes available in stores.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Science is magic, only complicated.

#1272 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:26

View PostScope, on 29 Mar 2011, 19:29, said:

Watched a trailer for Battle:LA. Wasn't impressed. Too much shaky-cam. Reminded me of Cloverfield.

A good movie to look out for is Cowboys & Aliens :)

Me neither. I was thinking Battle:LA would be just as shit as Skyline. I mean really? Steven Hawkings singing as trailer-theme?

#1273 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:11

View PostZ_mann, on 29 Mar 2011, 22:49, said:

Black Swan infinity/10

To say anything about the quality of this movie is to mock in the face of his creator and cast. This is a landmark film, in my opinion, one that appears after years of waiting, one that pushes the boundaries of the cinematic art and forever improves the cultural heritage of mankind.

If you are in any capacity to see this picture, go do it now. See it alone, or at least with the intent of embracing it fully; also, preferably in a theater so you can experience the music and the visuals and be overwhelmed. Do not miss it out under any circumstance!

I intend to do a full review of it once a DVD becomes available in stores.

oh fuck yes.

theater all the way. you need to experience it that way to be truly "hit" by it's marvel.
it's time to wake up

#1274 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:23

I heard there's lesbian sex.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#1275 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 14:36

yes, but that's hardly what makes this film great.
it's time to wake up

43 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 43 guests, 0 anonymous users