Rate The Last Movie You Watched

1364 replies to this topic

#1276 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 30 March 2011 - 14:40

That can't hurt it's popularity though :)

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#1277 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:29

Sucker Punch 7/10

Didn't understand the story but it had awesome fight scenes! STEAM PUNK NAZI ZOMBIES FTW!!!!!

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#1278 CoLT

Cuboning!

• Project Team
  • 1611 posts
  • Projects: Untitled, Generation X, March of the Cursed Reich (Working Title)

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:25

Suck Punch! 9/10

Loved the story and the cinematography. They really did well on the fight as well, even they were a lil over the top at times.
Characters were likable as well, although they lacked depth.

Sucker Punch! 9/10

Loved the story and the cinematography. They really did well on the fight as well, even they were a lil over the top at times.
Characters were likable as well, although they lacked depth.
Posted Image

#1279 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:16

So good you had to review it twice? :xD:

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#1280 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:57

Nah, two different movies. One was Suck Punch, the other was Sucker Punch.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#1281 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:09

Sorry, didn't notice that :xD:

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#1282 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 14:11

Moon

One of the most original science fiction films I have seen in quite some time. It's starts off with a very cliché storyline of a Man alone on the moon, his mental stability is tested when strange things start to happen and the AI seems to be hiding something.

The visual were very good. Apart from the last scene (which wasn't awful, but didn't seem as good), I generally didn't even think of them CG, I was just too involved in the story, which is never a bad thing.

Spoiler

Spoiler

9/10

Edited by Bob, 16 April 2011 - 14:12.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#1283 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5847 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 17:33

Black Dynamite 10/10

Awwww yeah. An epic blend of comedy and action. I recommended it to anyone who enjoyed Anchorman or anyone who felt Anchorman could do with a few more nunchucks.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#1284 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 17:53

[quote name='TheDR' post='857567' date='26 May 2011, 19:33']Black Dynamite 10/10

Awwww yeah. An epic blend of comedy and action. I recommended it to anyone who enjoyed Anchorman or anyone who felt Anchorman could do with a few more nunchucks.

[/quote]

"WHO DA HELL IS INTERRUPTIN' MAH KUNG FU?!"

Hot damn I love that movie!

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#1285 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 20:39

Sorry, I totally forgot to mention Pirates of the Caribbean, On Stranger Tides.

I won't even bother to rate it. It would be an insult to the "-" sign. >:(

Edited by Wizard, 26 May 2011 - 20:40.

#1286 SorataZ

Professional

• 347 posts
  • Projects: For the hunt I sharpen my claws.

Posted 26 May 2011 - 20:40

Thor (in 3D)
Story: 8/10 - Thor, son of Odin, has been banned to Earth for risking war with the Frost Giants, and being assumed insane by the locals at first, has to find the hammer MJOLNIR and his resolve, learning and accepting what he did wrong to save Asgard and the worlds from the dangers within Asgard /in a nutshell
Style: 10/10 for sure. Very very good CG (was it even CG? I could not tell) with a great contrast between the rural USA and Asgard which is all in silver and gold, blending classic architecture with crystal spires and togas-ish technology.
Music: 7/10 - The music was mostly background and not that noticable but did not disturb either. When action was going on, it did go pretty wild.
Critics: the story is very focused on Thor, Loki and Jane (a human) and most other characters are only named once or twice, remembering their names is thus difficult - not that they are any important.
All in all very good movie >:(

#1287 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 04 July 2011 - 21:49

My review of Dark of the Moon

I could have gone on even more but the site isn't my own, so I don't want to be overly negative. Personally, I would probably have gone all the way down to about a 4 for the movie.
Posted Image

#1288 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 23:35

I'd agree with you on almost every point there, especially the summary - it's a very, very typical Michael Bay film, just (somehow) with more explosions. However, I'd disagree on Rose Whatserface's acting capabilities. Whilst Megan Faux is not exactly world class talent (read: lifeless), Rose Thingymerblob has the same acting capabilities as a small damp slug (thank god she's also a Victoria Secret's model eh?). But seriously, she somehow
Spoiler
whilst displaying all the persuasiveness and tact of a 3 year old kid desperately trying to drag their mum to the sweets section of the supermarket. Also, I do agree with you that the dragged out sort of bollocks that is the same recycled plot, just with more explosions each time, managed to get old about 12 minutes into TF2. Somehow I really did see all of it coming... :xD:

Also, I recently watched a couple of films, so:

PotC 4: Wiz above me stated how trash this was, and I cannot help but agree. It's bollocks beyond bollocks. The only redeeming feature is the wonderful Penelope Cruz looking all kinds of fine throughout it. I will make especial note of the 'love story' between the mermaid and the priest as being one of the most insignificant, useless side-plots I have ever, ever, seen in a film. Whilst it fulfils a purpose (getting one of her tears), the rest of it could have been cut out and we'd have been spared about half an hour of painful acting that could perhaps have been filled with a decent bloody plot, or some back-story. Or more of Master Gibbs, who is painfully absent from most of the film. So yeah. Pretty dire, although you still have to love Depp's Captain Jack. 4/10

X-Men, First Class: I went into this film with absolutely no hope for it at all. Its a re-hashed franchise that just doesn't want to die, and honestly, after the absolutely awful film that was Origins: Wolverine, it took one hell of an act of persuasion (and the ticket purchase) for me to even go and see it (I'd also like to note that the advertising campaign with solme of the most godawful posters ever made didn't help matters either). Thankfully, the film I had expected to be slightly dodgy CGI with slightly dodgier script, and even dodgier acting, was in fact, not dodgy at all. In fact, it was an enhoyable romp through the 60s with a bunch of kids discovering their powers, and learning how to use them effectively, whether for good or for bad, or perhaps for the moral grey area that pretty much summed up the film - Charles Xavier and Magneto portraying two opposites forced together through the love of mutation, and through all-but chance was quite something to witness on screen, if I'm honest. Plaudits go to James McAvoy for his role as Xavier - he played him almost perfectly - as the uncanny, rash youth that powerful mutations can create, tempered against the mind of a genius, and all of the persuasiveness, and intellectual ability it brings with it. It suited him, and you could feel him growing into what we know as Xavier from the first three films as time goes on - that growth is not complete and there will be two more films in which to achieve this in years to come. This, for me, also means one more thing - we get to see more of Jennifer Lawrence (Mystique), who is seriously smoking hot. Particularly with few clothes on. So anyway, I thoroughly recommend this film, which has successfully rebooted the franchise, and promises a fast-paced script that does not skimp on the details, but certainly makes you work at times, some high quality acting, one hell of a CGI package, and one (if not two) of the most attractive blondes in cinema at the moment. 8/10

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: I watched this again on TV recently, having previously watched it, but having gotten to that point where it's starting to fade from your memory. Suffice to say, I sufficiently had my mind blown. Again. Michael Cera is absolutely brilliant as a dim-witted, if somewhat lovable, loser. And he falls for a girl that just happens to have seven evil exes, including, but not limited to; a vegan-powered psychic, a movie star, and a pirate (as you do). So, immediately this makes pretty much no sense whatsoever. But the beauty of the film is that as far as reality is concerned, it doesn't have to exist, because its so much more fun without it. Its just pure, smart comedy, combined with some awesome action sequences, and sprinkled with a hefty dose of retro gaming references. If your inner geek is looking to jump out, trust me he'll be clawing at your skin whilst watching this - it's just that sort of film. Warning: Do not watch with girlfriends, parents, and most other girls. It's not suitable for them. Grab a bunch of friends that know as much about games as you do (or at least pretend to), and sit them down and watch it. Everyone will wish they had a Ramona after this 8| 9/10

Edited by AJ, 04 July 2011 - 23:37.

For there can be no death without life.

#1289 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 06 July 2011 - 13:35

Indubitably, the Megatron scene made me react as such:
Posted Image

And I agree that First Class was simply awesome. Far better than Wolverine was. Alongside Green Lantern, it was my favorite superhero movie this year. Thor was mediocre by comparison.
Posted Image

#1290 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 15:23

View PostAJ, on 5 Jul 2011, 0:35, said:

PotC 4: Wiz above me stated how trash this was, and I cannot help but agree. It's bollocks beyond bollocks. The only redeeming feature is the wonderful Penelope Cruz looking all kinds of fine throughout it. I will make especial note of the 'love story' between the mermaid and the priest as being one of the most insignificant, useless side-plots I have ever, ever, seen in a film. Whilst it fulfils a purpose (getting one of her tears), the rest of it could have been cut out and we'd have been spared about half an hour of painful acting that could perhaps have been filled with a decent bloody plot, or some back-story. Or more of Master Gibbs, who is painfully absent from most of the film. So yeah. Pretty dire, although you still have to love Depp's Captain Jack. 4/10

I completely agree with you on the pointless side plot, but would have to disagree on the Cruz thing. The mermaid is infinitely more attractive than the Cruz.... :xD:

#1291 General

Rude, but fair

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 13:02

Transformers : Dark of the Moon
Movie : 0/10
Animation and CG : 10/10

First of all; what the heck is Rosie Huntington doing in this movie ? She obviously don't know anything about acting. If she somewhat know acting; she doesn't suit to act in this movie. Megan Fox was bad enough and they bring someone more sexy yet worse.
I did not watch this movie for the story, I watched it for the cg works as I am interested in artistry. And I must say people who work on designing and animating those robots have did a very good job on it just like they did on previous movies.
I personally would like to see such good talents on better movies and doing more memorable jobs, not for a movie ruined by greedy marketing ideas.

#1292 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:31

The Human Centipede - ?!/!?

Well having seen the South Park episode on this before the actual movie some stuff wasn't all that surprising but holy fuck what the hell was that :P . Quite disgusting here and there and the guy who plays the doctor is actually quite convincingly mad. But most of all it's just really bizarre and you don't really know what to think at any one point of the movie Oo .
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1293 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 22:18

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva 8/10

Going into this film, I didn't quite know what to expect. I mean, I do enjoy the games (a lot) and when I saw this for just a £5, I bought it for curiosity's sake. At first, I was just going to give it to my nan and mum, who both love the games (they get the newest ones a day or two after release). Earlier, however, curiosity overtook me, and I watched it.

I thought it was a fantastic film. The art style translates (in my opinion) very well into film form, and the voice acting is done rather well (with a few exceptions). Not everything is explained thoroughly, but you piece it together eventually. The premise is set early, and the script is intelligent, lending itself a few technobable bits of course (the first game is about
Spoiler
for example) but it's put together quite nicely.
I do also enjoy the references to the game, such as a the puzzles in the movie being referred to as "001" and so forth.

Plus the Professor has a

Spoiler

so all is well with the world.
You almost did, didn't you?

#1294 Krieger22

Semi-Pro

• 224 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 13:03

Apocalypse Now Redux 9/10

Truly classic movie, now with more scenes (and more >:( moments). Mr. Coppola also has masterfully weaved in the extra footage so everything is totally seamless. Great movie, and no matter how long it takes I'd gladly sit through this instead of the typical Michael Bay movie.

Sareen said:

NOOO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOO ...*closes ears* lalalala that never happened!

#1295 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 22:08

Too long since I wrote one of these.

Raise the Red Lantern - 9/10

Quite impressive Chinese drama movie about a woman who doesn't care anymore and chooses to lead a life as a rich man's concubine. However, she's actually the fourth concubine and soon discovers that the household she's moved into, which is deeply set in ancient traditions, revolves all around which woman the Master decides to pick every night. As such, the main character is soon found struggling to keep her head up in this intrigue-rich family. I'm not exactly fond of dramas but this one does it just right. Exceptional movie-making skills and nothing short of outstanding acting make for a very impressive movie. Highly recommended if you fancy watching a drama movie sometime.

Edited by Bob, 13 September 2011 - 18:49.

TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1296 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 19 September 2011 - 20:02

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Most slow films I have seen have not got the balance of pace and interest in the plot/characters correct, this film nails it. Couple that with some fantastic acting from an excellent cast, a good script and a loving attention to detail and this film is a real corker. It's a spy thriller in its purest sense, the film neither indulges in violence, action or sex, but instead focusses on the intrigue and the plot. It was billed as a bit of a thinking mans film, and as compared to hollywood blockbusters I guess it is, but it's really not that hard to follow and unless you require help doing basic tasks you should grasp it in one viewing. If you want to see something a bit different, this is for you.

9.5/10
Posted Image

Posted Image

#1297 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 15:04

Se7en

Had a spare few hours and decided to watch one of my favourite films again. One of the most disturbing films that relies on completely plausible scenarios, it is, in my opinion, the best horror film of all time. David Fincher's directing is absolutely lovely (or as lovely as a thriller/horror film can be) and Morgan Freeman puts up (sorry, Shawshank Redemption, but it's true) his best performance of all time. Brad Pitt is great, too.

The ending is still the most jarring in any film I've seen and I've yet to see a better use of suspense. It's easily within my top 3 films of all time, for sure.

10/10

While I have seen it before, and it does lose a little of the suspense, seeing it the first time is truly an experience to behold and so I would suggest if you haven't seen it you get to it and watch.

Posted Image

#1298 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 26 September 2011 - 15:48

I liked Morgan Freeman more in Shawshank Redemption, but I agree with the rest of your post 8|

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#1299 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 18:06

View PostIon Cannon!, on 19 September 2011 - 20:02, said:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Most slow films I have seen have not got the balance of pace and interest in the plot/characters correct, this film nails it. Couple that with some fantastic acting from an excellent cast, a good script and a loving attention to detail and this film is a real corker. It's a spy thriller in its purest sense, the film neither indulges in violence, action or sex, but instead focusses on the intrigue and the plot. It was billed as a bit of a thinking mans film, and as compared to hollywood blockbusters I guess it is, but it's really not that hard to follow and unless you require help doing basic tasks you should grasp it in one viewing. If you want to see something a bit different, this is for you.

9.5/10

Well, I agree exactly here. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is pretty true to the book, and depends on the audience being smart enough to fathom it. Expect most people not to comprehend it, but if you are willing to stress your brain, its first class cinema.

View PostCJ, on 26 September 2011 - 15:48, said:

I liked Morgan Freeman more in Shawshank Redemption, but I agree with the rest of your post 8|

Can I just +1 this?
For there can be no death without life.

#1300 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 18:37

Morgan Freeman is excellent in pretty much whatever movie he's put in. Though I'm personally a fan of both Se7en and David Fincher, I wouldn't class Se7en in a top three myself, even though I agree it's an absolutely outstanding movie. I kind of miss references to Kevin Spacey's work in it though - he's just as convincing as the other actors IMO. Then again, this isn't anything out of the ordinary either, as Spacey as a fantastic actor as well.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users