Rate The Last Movie You Watched

1364 replies to this topic

#1101 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 00:29

Astro Boy 4/10

More or less the very definition of mediocrity in films. Take the overall look and story of the incredibles, some of the themes from I,Robot, the robot designs from Robots and come out with a film that's nowhere near as good as any of them. The first episode of the 2003 Astro Boy cartoon does a better job at summarizing more or less the entire plot of the film.

And the dialogue... oh the dialogue.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#1102 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:51

Final Destination 4 in 3D 10/10

That is just wicked in 3D with guts and blood flying at ya story line is similar to the other ones but still AWESOME!

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#1103 NOPE

Amateur

• 147 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:42

the last movie I watched was Pulp Fiction.. like, a month ago.
10/10. Best movie ever IMO.
that and Reservoir Dogs are, admittedly, the only movies i've seen by Quentin Tarantino, but they both make it clear that he's a fantastic writer.
Pulp Fiction reminded me a bit of Alan Moore's writings, TBH.. at first the different scenes seem rather irrelevant to each other, and then by the end the whole story ties together and then you feel obliged to read/watch it again to understand better. :V
this sig is a lie

#1104 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 19 October 2009 - 17:48

PF gets better and better the more you watch it :3
Posted Image

#1105 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 18:54

Con Air: 7/10

Not a bad movie...the pros of this movie above other plane hijack movies are:

1. Originality as this was a prisoner transportation plane
2. Significant parts of the story arent placed inside the plane (which is a major plus)
3. Quite interesting potrayal of conmen

Oh and Nick Cage was good but Malkovich even better

Lord of War: 9.5/10

One of the best movies with Nicholas Cage (actually generally one of the best movies ever). This movie reminds me very much of Scarface and its quite great that some directors still do masterpieces like this. It shows only the important parts of the life of a arms dealer and despite the fact you get only small scenes the whole thing actually sums up a picture of how his career actually went and in the process shows how ignorant the Western powers can be. Would get a 10/10 if it werent for some quite ridicilous remarks.
Posted Image

#1106 RaiDK

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:52

Batman (1989) 6/10

Slog me all you want for this, but honestly... This movie hasn't aged well. Everything about it screams MADE IN THE 80s and a lot of scenes were just... really strange. Having Prince in the soundtrack really didn't help things. Dick Tracy came out a year later and was a superior movie in every way.

And yet, I'm eternally grateful to it for spawning Batman: The Animated Series.

Flash Gordon I-have-no-idea/10

Yeah I'm not sure what to make of this one. I'm all for camp in movies and I wouldn't say this one was the best or the worst when it came to things. Ultimately though it wasn't a bad movie, just not one I'd sit down and watch again any time soon.

Edited by RaiDK, 28 October 2009 - 04:19.
Movie loses 1 point for having a Batman that kills people, which more or less defies the Batman character completely. Yes it's a fanboy thing, no I don't care.

#1107 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:17

Expecting to watch Trick 'R Treat either tommorow or today.

Gonna tell ya what I think of it, when I'm done with it.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#1108 RaiDK

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:38

Rocketeer 9/10

Great movie, accurate adaptation of the comic, comic-accurate outfits, nazis, the mob, the fbi, tommy guns, a zeppelin and a guy with a jetpack. Obviously a formula for success!

#1109 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 13:18

Audition - 6/10

Convo with Wiz reminded me to review this :sly: .

The first three quarters of this movie, which are deceptively quiet, belie the fact that this movie's last quarter or so harbours some of the grossest scenes I have ever seen in a horror movie, and considering I'm a horror fan, this is saying something :mad: . The 6/10 rating is probably only valid for real horror fans - I imagine everyone else will give it a -2/10 because they will find the first part boring and the second part arguably more revolting than 2girls1cup.

About the plot; it's about a guy who wants to remarry so someone gives him the idea of setting up a phony TV audition so he can make a choice. As it turns out, he's not the best at picking partners. The movie has an (attempted) serious psychological part to it, which at some points make the movie considerably more disturbing, which is quite well done.

Concluding, I'd like to say that as a horror fan, I could enjoy the movie, mostly after having seen it. Unless you're a fan of the genre or want to freak out someone you watch it with, I'd recommend you avoid it. If not, you might just want to try it.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1110 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 22:20

View PostSquigPie, on 30 Oct 2009, 7:17, said:

Expecting to watch Trick 'R Treat either tommorow or today.

Gonna tell ya what I think of it, when I'm done with it.

There is no point in making posts about what you expect to review... if you have a review, great if you don't, don't post anything, it achieves nothing.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#1111 RaiDK

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:59

Primer 10/10

Far too hard to explain what this movie is about. Basically 2 guys accidently create a time machine and things get super confusing really quickly, but at the same time the movie stays interesting really interesting. Also it only cost $7000 to make: Yet you really wouldn't know it watching, EVERYTHING is top notch.

Edited by RaiDK, 07 November 2009 - 12:03.

#1112 General

Rude, but fair

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 20:32

2012 : 6/10

Very good visuals but that is all, they sucked to tell the story of one of the biggest conspiracy theories in the world, despite the vast material available over web and anywhere else. I personally should create a better plot than this, this movie is a disappointment for me but I will respect the hard work of those who worked in visual department and give a 6, that is all ;)

#1113 RaiDK

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:56

The Transformers: The Movie (The 80s animated movie)
10/10

Man, now THIS is how you make a movie based on a TV series. Everything that was great about the series, on a massive budget, with an over the top 80s synth soundtrack. Good stuff.

#1114 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:35

Fantastic Mr.Fox 9.5/10

It's really turuly amazing animation I never seen. I mean, it's unlike Wallace and Gromit animation.
Of coure, it's really hilarious.

Here are trailers

Edited by MR.Kim, 09 December 2009 - 03:38.

#1115 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:41

Something I've been wanting to see for a long time that Mr Kim, I'm also assuming you meant the film, not the book, so I shunted this in here :P
For there can be no death without life.

#1116 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:43

Thanks for fix it. Sometimes, my mind got stupid. :P

#1117 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:49

View PostMR.Kim, on 9 Dec 2009, 3:43, said:

Thanks for fix it. Sometimes, my mind got stupid. :P

S'allright, although I should have been in bed :P

#1118 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:45

View PostRaiDK, on 30 Oct 2009, 7:38, said:

Rocketeer 9/10

Great movie, accurate adaptation of the comic, comic-accurate outfits, nazis, the mob, the fbi, tommy guns, a zeppelin and a guy with a jetpack. Obviously a formula for success!

You, my good man, have taste. Though you forgot to mention the fact that the film includes actors such as Timothy Dalton, Alan Arkin, and Terry O'Quinn (Lost). :P

Angels & Demons: 6/10

You read the numbers right. About half way through the film, I found myself being able to pick apart the plot, much unlike the prequel, The DaVinci Code. Though the cast is well stocked, that fact alone is not enough to keep this flick afloat for me. It lacks the intellectual depth that DaVinci Code had, and when the film ends, it comes off feeling like there's something missing. It's as if some key elements were just changed deliberately, not to adapt the book to the silver screen, but just in general. Hanks, McGregor, and Skarsgård do brilliant jobs throughout the film, but as I mentioned earlier, despite the combined talent of these Hollywood heavyweights, the film squanders itself the longer it drags on. Also, I should add that there was a certain bit that left a rather foul taste in my mouth about this film. It fells like, or felt like, the author of Angels & Demons was writing about some sort of vendetta he had against the Catholic Church. Yes, I'm aware that the Catholic Church is far from infallible (oh, let's mention the Crusades, shall we?), but the entire movie seems to revolve around this sort of stab at Catholicism, or more specifically, the Catholic Church.

Edited by Sgt. Nuker, 09 December 2009 - 05:07.

Posted Image

#1119 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 15:20

View PostSgt. Nuker, on 9 Dec 2009, 4:45, said:

View PostRaiDK, on 30 Oct 2009, 7:38, said:

Rocketeer 9/10

You, my good man, have taste. Though you forgot to mention the fact that the film includes actors such as Timothy Dalton, Alan Arkin, and Terry O'Quinn (Lost). :P

Angels & Demons: 6/10

You read the numbers right. About half way through the film, I found myself being able to pick apart the plot, much unlike the prequel, The DaVinci Code. Though the cast is well stocked, that fact alone is not enough to keep this flick afloat for me. It lacks the intellectual depth that DaVinci Code had, and when the film ends, it comes off feeling like there's something missing. It's as if some key elements were just changed deliberately, not to adapt the book to the silver screen, but just in general. Hanks, McGregor, and Skarsgård do brilliant jobs throughout the film, but as I mentioned earlier, despite the combined talent of these Hollywood heavyweights, the film squanders itself the longer it drags on. Also, I should add that there was a certain bit that left a rather foul taste in my mouth about this film. It fells like, or felt like, the author of Angels & Demons was writing about some sort of vendetta he had against the Catholic Church. Yes, I'm aware that the Catholic Church is far from infallible (oh, let's mention the Crusades, shall we?), but the entire movie seems to revolve around this sort of stab at Catholicism, or more specifically, the Catholic Church.

Tbh Nuker, I prefered Angels and Demons to The DaVinci Code, it was a far more interesting premise and you didn't know nearly the entire gameplan five minutes in. Furthermore, Angels and Demons came across at less of a stab at the Catholic Church than The DaVinci Code in my eyes - a rogue element in any organisation does not mean that the entire organisation is corrupt to it's core, and tbh for the most part th film portrayed the Catholic Church as the 'good guys'. Frankly, while slightly less of an intellectual draw, I found the film itself to be far more interesting and geniunely a better attempt at filmmaking than the first one.

I also had the oppurtunity to go and see Avatar last night (release night nonetheless) and that turned out to be one HELL of a choice.

James Cameron will always be known for Alien, Terminator and the Titanic. Those are some of the big names of cinema even today. And yet not one of them has a chance of being remembered now thanks to Avatar. It's simply SO good that it will blow those other films away into the distant past. It's been twelve years since James Cameron last did a film, and he has spent almost every second of those twelve years working on Avatar in some way or another, from writing the script, to writing the language used by the Na'vi (The indigenous humanoid creatures of the moon Pandora and yes I know how mad that all sounds), to developing an entirely new cinematic approach.

The film is long, clocking in at just under three hours in length. And yet time shoots by in the cinema, quite literally leaving you wondering where you've been for the last three hours. The answer is that you've been on Pandora, especially if you've gone to see the 3D version of the film. Pandora is a moon of a giant uninhabitable gassy planet. However, Pandora is far from inhabitable, and is teeming with lush wildlife and forests, as well as a huge host of extremely wonderful animals, including the Na'vi. The protagonist of the film is Jake Sully, played by Sam Worthington (ironically who was also in the latest Terminator film), who is becoming a rising star in cinema. You can see why from Avatar. The film partly plays out in CGI, partly in live-action. In live action, Sully is a crippled marine, who's twin brother was involved in an operation to use an Avatar, a Na'vi infused with human DNA, grown by the humans, and linked to the same DNA that it is infused with - in this case Sully's brother, and of course, Sully himself. He takes on his brother's contract, but is not a researcher, instead he is a marine in a research body. Because of this, he is quickly adopted into the Na'vi tribe, as they see him for a warrior, not for someone that has come to take control of them.

Teaching him the steps of becoming a true Na'vi warrior is Neytiri, a female Nav'i, voiced by Zoe Saldana. Zoe who? Yes that's what everyone will be thinking before seeing this film. Afterwards, it'll be rolling off your tongue in seconds. The only place you may have seen her before is as the female steerswoman in the first Pirates of the Carribbean, from whom Jack stole a ship from once. Simple put, she's bloody briliant in this film, her voice acting is quite simply second to none. Other Na'vi include her brother, and her mother and father, who are the clan's leaders, spiritually and in times of war.
Other live-action characters include Sigorney Weaver, who pus on another class act as the leader of the Na'vi integratin project, Grace. Like Jake Sully, you see her in both live-action and then in her Na'vi Avatar in CGI form, and she performs exceptionally well in both, really getting you attached to her character. There's also Joel Moore (the utter dweeb that could never get a girl if he tried unless she was phenomenally ugly from Dodgeball), who shows his diverse range of talents by being the third and last Na'vi Avatar 'operator', and much like the rest of the cast, shines as a simply phenomenal character.

The basic premise for this film is that Pandora has an ore on it (humourously called 'Unobtanium') that sells for ridiculous amounts back on Earth, which in turn is dying. A company sends humans to colonise Pandora, and extract the ore from it. The leader of the company on Pandora is Giovanni Ribsi (think Pheobe's brother from Friends) who puts in a compelling performance. It is his job to see that the ore gets back, but at heart he is a beurocrat, not a fighter, and would rather negotiate with the Na'vi rather than wipe them all out, which is what Colonel Miles Quaritch (Stephen Lang who has likely never been in a film you've ever heard of) wants to do, immediately. This is where the Avatars come in - if they can gain the trust of the Na'vi, they can get them to move before Ribsi cracks, instead of doing what the Na'vi do best, which is go to war. The only downside to this is that the military have gunships, shuttles, helicopters, the lot. The Na'vi have bows, arrows, and flying pterodactyles (known as Banshees in the film). So they'll be massacred. That's the very basic premise to this film - if I go into any more depth it will inevitably spoil the part of it, as in the three hours, almost everything is there for a reason.

Backing up an already astonishing cast and script is the best CGI you will ever have seen. You think Michael Bay did it well in Transformers? Well his attempt looks like doodles with a crayon in comparison; James Cameron has surpassed everything in every way imaginable. The entire forest comes to life with wildlife, the Na'vi look so incredible you will simply drop your jaw in amazement, rush to pick it up off the floor, only to subsequentally lose it again on the very next scene. And the next, and the next, and so on for the rest of the film. Cameron has set the new industry standard, and not even the likes of Pixar can hope to compete with this technology. Every inch of the Na'vi is perfect in detail, every single leaf in the entire forest is supremely crisp, and the locations used make Lord of the Rings look like the back end of Surrey. I simply can't think of enough words to sell the CGI, but suffice to say it is the very best you will see.

Pushing the boat even further out is the music behind the film. Cameron has again partnered with James Horner, the musical genius behind the soundtrack to The Titanic, for which he won an Oscar. Once again, he delivers - pretty much every second of the film is filled with simply fantastic music that suits the mood perfectly - the man is a genius composer, and the soundtrack alone os worth the money to go and see the film, it's so evocative, and brilliant that it's astonishing. When you combine it with the phenomenal locations used in the film, you really do feel like you're been transported to another world.

And that's how it should be. Cameron has created an entire world, an entire new genre of film. It switches between CGI and live-action so seamlessly you honestly will not ever be able to notice the difference - and that is again how it should be done. You are completely drawn into Cameron's world, and by God, it is a place I could happily spend the rest of my life. Everything is so right, so perfect, so lush it simply staggers belief. I will put my neck on the line here and put this thing up for as many Oscars as there are, as I honestly haven't seen a film this good in my lifetime, and it would deserve every single Oscar that there is. Everything comes together to form a film that pushes the boundaries in every direction, if not entirely breaking them. Quite possibly the best £8 I have ever spent in my life.

If you don't go see this film, you are an utter moron (or to use the Na'vi, "skxawng"), and I say that in no uncertain terms. Cameron has produced the film of his generation, and I guarantee you will love every single second of this phenomenal film. The Na'vi have a phrase that goes "I See You", which means to see right through to the core, to the essence, of any being. Well, James Cameron, I See You.

And the tl;dr: It's phenomenal, you'll never see anything better, you don't see this you're an idiot.

10/10 - if I could have given it more, I would have.

Edited by AJ, 19 December 2009 - 15:21.

#1120 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 19 December 2009 - 15:21

Avatar is better than the original terminators u say? hmmmm, will have to see about that :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1121 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 15:27

View PostPav3d, on 19 Dec 2009, 15:21, said:

Avatar is better than the original terminators u say? hmmmm, will have to see about that :P

Unequivocaly so. Imagine, if you would, ever film Cameron has done so far as a stepping stone towards this film - there are aspects of all of his previous films in it, but by god this is the best film of his career.

#1122 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 16:09

I was thinking Avatar looked crappy - I'm guessing the trailer didn't do it justice.

I'll have to go watch it sometime then.
You almost did, didn't you?

#1123 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 16:18

The trailer doesn't really do it justice at all, it's an Epic Film, not a War Film as the trailer would have you believe. Furthermore, you need to see the CGI on a big screen in HD, preferably in 3D too, to get everything out of it. This movie will make all that HD equipment everyone goes on about actually worth it :P

#1124 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 17:40

saw it yesterday on big screen and man, AJ, you're right.

my god,that was so good. i loved every second of it. 10/10 no doubt.
it's time to wake up

#1125 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 19 December 2009 - 18:22

Hmm, I might just have to go and see this.
Posted Image

Posted Image

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users