←  Science

Fallout Studios Forums

»

LHC Countdown

Waris's Photo Waris 13 May 2008

Merely a day away!

Also any discussion about the LHC goes here.

Dauth's Photo Dauth 13 May 2008

Yep, they will run at 5 TeV before turning off and redoing parts of it ready for the full 7 TeV runs later on. Recently they've been overheating the magnets to make them sit properly, now that is done it's almost ready.

CoLT's Photo CoLT 13 May 2008

Does this mean we could potentially have a Half-life 1 scenario tomorrow?

(yes I'm serious)

G-sus's Photo G-sus 13 May 2008

well in a good case. in a bad case we could maybe end with a black hole around there where once earth was... :P

Waris's Photo Waris 14 May 2008

5hrs and 36mins left :P

Destiny's Photo Destiny 14 May 2008

Everyone, get to your units! PREPARE TO DESTROY THE weapon of...err...mass destruction! Man, I hope it really doesn't kill us or something :P

Dauth's Photo Dauth 14 May 2008

13hrs after a tweak by CERN, will be nice when she fires up for the first time

Alias's Photo Alias 14 May 2008

3 hours and 46 minutes until we divide by zero.

Rich19's Photo Rich19 14 May 2008

12 hours exactly on the dot when I posted this.

Cuppa's Photo Cuppa 17 May 2008

51.5 more days till they fire it up again? D:

Jazzie Spurs's Photo Jazzie Spurs 17 May 2008

The hell is that?

General's Photo General 17 May 2008

Just wait a minute, its done? lol I though they will announce it atleast from their own website, I don't think so this one is the 'real test' they are preparing for :P

Edit: I just saw that countdown timer was not correct aswell as its noted in clarification, so whats the meaning of it really, they delay it for months again >_>
Edited by General, 17 May 2008 - 19:54.

Dauth's Photo Dauth 17 May 2008

You would be amazed how complex this thing is, I don't expect any data for another 6 months

General's Photo General 17 May 2008

I know how complex it is , I am following it for months but they delay it everytime, I think I will die by myself before they activate it :P

CommanderJB's Photo CommanderJB 18 May 2008

Well, good to hear they didn't blow the entire thing off its tracks this time. By the way, did any of you see the Horizon documentary (supposedly) about the LHC? It almost gave me a migraine...

Libains's Photo Libains 20 May 2008

Good to know we're not all in some sort of vortex created by this thing now.. Seriously - a very nice piece of kit that will be most beneficial to science for many years to come!

Dauth's Photo Dauth 20 May 2008

and in about 10 years the Super LHC will be implemented to give us better results, and FP420 which will look for Higgs Bosons made a gluon exchange reaction.

CommanderJB's Photo CommanderJB 21 May 2008

I thought the LHC was already looking for evidence of Higgs Bosons?

Dauth's Photo Dauth 21 May 2008

They are, but it's a addon that looks for it in a different way.

CommanderJB's Photo CommanderJB 21 May 2008

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Jamie^'s Photo Jamie^ 02 Sep 2008

OH MY GOD THE LHC IS THE END OF THE WORLD DAMN YOU CERN WHY MUST YOU DO THIS TO US!
If people did a bit of research they would realise how daft they sounded. Plus in the sun today they did an article about it talking about the "end of the world" and how it will create "hundreds of micro black holes" lol.

Jazzie Spurs's Photo Jazzie Spurs 02 Sep 2008

Wen blackhole 0.1?

Well since it's in a vacuum and there isn't really too many particles, IF a micro black hole is made, there isnt enough particles in the machine to get it built up in size, and since its in a vacuum, no more particles will be able to get into it, so if it DOES survive, it will be slowly but surely dragged to the center of the earth by gravity...

Rich19's Photo Rich19 02 Sep 2008

View PostJamie^, on 2 Sep 2008, 1:22, said:

OH MY GOD THE LHC IS THE END OF THE WORLD DAMN YOU CERN WHY MUST YOU DO THIS TO US!
If people did a bit of research they would realise how daft they sounded. Plus in the sun today they did an article about it talking about the "end of the world" and how it will create "hundreds of micro black holes" lol.

Why on earth do you read The Sun?

View PostJamie^, on 2 Sep 2008, 15:47, said:

Well since it's in a vacuum and there isn't really too many particles, IF a micro black hole is made, there isnt enough particles in the machine to get it built up in size, and since its in a vacuum, no more particles will be able to get into it, so if it DOES survive, it will be slowly but surely dragged to the center of the earth by gravity...

It'll evaporate within milliseconds, I thought.

Uhh, page 3? ;)

Anyway, theres a very slight chance of one being created, and theres an even slighter chance of it staying alive, we just gotta depend on Hawking Radiation for that one!