Swords vs. Guns.

8 replies to this topic

#1 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:50

I'm sure some of you oldies have seen a post like this from me a while ago, but nothing of this calibre.
Personally, I prefer melee weapons over guns. Why?

Anyone can point a gun and point a trigger, it takes a good deal of skill to kill an equally skilled swordsman than it takes between 2 shooters, in which is more determined by positioning. Swords are also beautiful weapons, every one is unique - whether it be in the weighting, the hilt or another customisation. Practically all guns are just mass produced boring pieces (there are some exceptions, such as antique Revolvers).

Sure, someone with a gun could beat someone with a sword any day, but who cares? That isn't what this is about. It's about the comparison of two weapon types by level of "awesomeness" and the amount of skill required to hold your own. A good swordsman takes decades to create, a good shooter takes months. On a final note, you can't slice someone's head off with a firearm.
What are your thoughts?

Edited by Alias, 27 July 2008 - 04:52.

Posted Image

#2 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:19

To be honest, I just can't bring myself to put aside the practical concerns when comparing these types of weaponry, no matter how hard I try. And I must say that while I hope to whatever there might be out there I never, ever have to even consider killing someone in my life, were I to do so, I'd probably prefer to do it with a gun. And guns can look very cool and are astonishing pieces of engineering in some cases. So yeah, I 'choose' guns.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:10

Practical issues aside, my vote goes to swords although the only one I like is the Japanese Katana. Typical choice, I know, but every real Katana is a technical masterpiece and at their time, they were way ahead of those clumsy whack-the-shite-out-of-stuff-longswords from Europe. Firearms may be superior to swords in all tactical aspects but there's comparably little expertise to the way they're made and used. Swords are something you can show off with even if you don't care about the fighting and when it does come to the fight, it takes donkey's years till you can truly call yourself a master swordsman.

Edited by Rayburn, 27 July 2008 - 06:12.

#4 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 27 July 2008 - 22:52

I actually used to fence, and I'm considering taking it up again. It's amazing watching some of the pros (unlike I was :S ) have a match or two. I agree 100% that swords are cooler.

Besides, a well made sword can do some amazing things. Watch this video: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HO8Ot10hIiA (the good bit starts at around 1:14).

#5 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 22:57

View PostRich19, on 27 Jul 2008, 23:52, said:

I actually used to fence, and I'm considering taking it up again. It's amazing watching some of the pros (unlike I was :S ) have a match or two. I agree 100% that swords are cooler.

Besides, a well made sword can do some amazing things. Watch this video: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HO8Ot10hIiA (the good bit starts at around 1:14).

Stop following my life! I used to fence.

Guns scare me, a lot. I'm not exposed to them like US citizens, so a sword. That being said I would like a 12gauge in the case of a Zombie apocalypse.

#6 Eddy01741

E-Studios Uber Computer Geek

• 2223 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 23:01

This is similar to bows vs. crossbows. Bows are beautiful and can fire faster, but take a lot of strength and skill to use, while crossbows are ugly and take virtually no skill to use.

Anyways, depends on the guns and swords in question. Rapiers definitely do it for me, thin blade, light and very quick, however, really, they are pieces for dueling and not for battle, where a heavier sword would easily knock them aside. Something like a claymore is also nice, but is a brute weapon. Katanas are also great weapons for me, simple, but ahead of their time and very effective.

Guns... well, guns that I like are generally revolvers, rifles, and assault rifles. SHotguns look brutish to me imo, muskets are even more so. Semi-auto pistols are alright, but they don't have the same look as the revolvers. I like the peacemaker since its a legendary pistol basically. Rifles I like since their wood+metal makes them look great, also the bolt assembly (on a bolt action) is always cool. I like the lee-enfields in particular, bigger magazine than the mausers and springfields (which were just mauser copies basically), and better bolt assembly. I used to be in love with the M16 (all little boys are patrotic of their countries stuff, like F22s, even though I personally hate the F22 much hatred lol), but right now, I am liking the G3, which was the most exported assault rifle ever, and had controllable recoil for a full auto 7.62 due to roller delay blowback. The FN FAL is almost as good, but I still like it. I like the G36 series rifles as well, especially the ones with the dual scope setup (red dot sight and a acog like sight for longer ranges).

EDIT: All said, they are both great weapons and I can't decide.

Edited by Eddy01741, 27 July 2008 - 23:01.

Posted Image

#7 G-sus

batshit insane

• 802 posts
  • Projects: Coding Skynet

Posted 27 July 2008 - 23:07

well, seen from the skill it takes to kill someone, a rusty spoon is a lot more awesome weapon than a sword is...
sure, a sword is easier to handle, but it takes ages to become good enough with a rusty spoon to kill someone with it...
Posted Image
(Sig by The DR)

True beauty comes from heart and mind.
(but perfection has also big boobs)

#8 Eddy01741

E-Studios Uber Computer Geek

• 2223 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 23:50

Lol, i'm sure THe_Hunter is the world champion at it, either him or the retired Deathstrike lol.
Posted Image

#9 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:22

There was a saying that "Only a big dirty rat will shoot someone in the back."

Well, I am a big dirty rat. (pops out an AK)

BRATATATATATAATTA!

Ahh, have a cheese, rat! :P
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users