Sex vs. Violence

40 replies to this topic

#26 Eddy01741

E-Studios Uber Computer Geek

• 2223 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 19:59

The point is, movies and games are making it look like killing is better htan any sex at all, whether it is consential or not.
Posted Image

#27 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 20:03

We're reasonable lenient with films over here on all counts (violence, sexuality and swearing), however swearing is the most let-off here.
The problem here is due to lack a proper game rating system.

Posted Image

#28 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:48

Alias, on 14 Aug 2008, 4:03, said:

We're reasonable lenient with films over here on all counts (violence, sexuality and swearing), however swearing is the most let-off here.
The problem here is due to lack a proper game rating system.

ESRB doesn't count? I thought they have efficient censorship of games (GTA: San Andreas was watered down to achieve M rating instead of AO. "Hot Coffee", anyone? 8|)
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

#29 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:23

ESRB is American. We have OFLC.

For games, we lack an 18+ rating so some games are illegal - i.e. Postal 2, Vietcong, etc.
However, for films even though we do have an 18+ restricted rating, very few stuff gets it - the US rates far more things their 17+ restricted rating.

Posted Image

#30 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:42

@^:
So you mean to say that it is an issue of regulation and control, and not of sex vs. violence?
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

#31 Eddy01741

• 2223 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 15:16

I don't think they play any NC-17 movies in the theater, I barely see any NC-17 movies at all, they are simply "unrated" (meaning an R movie that put in some extra violence/sexual content).

However, that said, if the "fuck" is said twice in any american film, its an automatic R.
Posted Image

#32 Zero

Commander&Chief of the Order of the Black Knights

• 581 posts
  • Projects: None, unfortunately

Posted 20 August 2008 - 13:54

Okay, this pisses me off! First of all, violence and sex are the best things ever!!!!!!!!!! Talk about good outlets! I get mad, I play Metal Gear for a few minutes and I'm as happy as a coke fiend who just found a mother load. Sex, well, it is awesome!!!!!!!! Without sex the human culture would be bland and tasteless, tell me one thing in culture that does not relate to sex or violence (usually it refers to both). Why? Because those two things are the single most important and major things in out nature. True, violence in real life is horrible, and rape and sex based crimes are bad too, but..... if you think about it, if we expose people to it early, and explain it, it'll be fine. And stop talking about this babysitter crap, these are the same parents who expose their kids to drugs, violence, and sex in real life when they are only 3 or 4.

In my opinion, all rating systems should be done away with....period!!!! Why? Because when you control something and try to keep someone ignorant of it, they are ignorant of it. That means you have thirteen year old dudes and dudetts that are horny as fuck and screwing all over, after all, how the fuck are they supposed to know what they're doing? Instinct just takes over, screw and leave, like most animals on Earth! As for violence, again, a great outlet when in media and games. Game ratings, especially piss me off. How the fuck can you blame a video game for what you have done!?! If you kill someone you shouldn't be able to say "I learned it from playing Doom," and people actually believe you. These bastards know exactly what they're doing, but why do they do this? One of two reasons: A: they want to take something down with them. B: the more probable option is B, they use it to try to fake a mental instability, in other words they plead as insane, and lets face it, an insane asylum is about 500% times easier to cope with than jail!

I play Duke Nukem, Doom (all of them!), all the Halos, Metal Gear Solid 3+4, Call of Duty 4, Mortal Kombat (all the way up to Shaolin Monks), Medal of Honor, Command and Conquer (all of them except 3+ Kane's Wrath), and I'm only 14! What more, I have not ever commited a crime and I have never been a violent person. True, I say very violent thing, but I'm only screwing around with my friends (one my bastard "friends" knew it and still used it to get me kicked out of my ticket to free private school! Hell, he even lied and made me sound like a psycho). I have played all those games without any parental supervision (my parents don't give a damn.....anymore) and I have turned out fine. Why? Because I bet that all those bad parents don't just let their kids see it on tv, they show it to them in real life! Look at me, all that shit and I'm still perfectly sane (talkative, but sane) and perfectly fine, so tell me how that is bad!?!
Posted Image
Posted Image
[indent]Garrod "Newtype Killer" Ran[/indent]

#33 EX-P.F.C. Wintergreen

Under Construction

• 578 posts
  • Projects: School, College Applications, Competitive Swimming

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:37

It's just based on the culture of the area, and usually stems from religious views of the masses in that region which define if something is deemed inappropriate.

Alert to Moderators: This is not a politically motivated post, these are just (hopefully) the facts and please correct me if I'm wrong.

For instance:

Japan is quite sexually open and therefore nudity is general not a huge deal. Genitals is deemed partially offensive and "cubed" out but usually behinds and upper body on men or women is deemed ok. I only know this fact but I don't know exactly why, its just a cultural difference I'm assuming.

On the other hand:

The United States is historically more conservative when it comes to sex in the masses- Any sexual reference is usually deemed viewable for adults. This stems from the fact the throughout history, lawmakers and politcians have general been christian which is very opposed to nudity (in a great number of denominations).

@ tskasa- The reason there are rating systems is to help people who don't want to see those things by giving them a heads up. Also there are still studies going on that showing those kinds of things too early can be detrimental to the person's mental health.

Edited by The Basilisk, 01 September 2008 - 17:29.

Formerly:

General Admission

The Basilisk

#34 Eddy01741

• 2223 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:52

Lol at your comment about the political. "OH NOES, MEMBER "_______" MADE A POST REFERRING TO A COUNTRY, LOCKY TIME!".

Jk (but not really), but yeah, I agree with you, AMerica is so uptight about this shit, while in Europe there are nude beaches everywhere, unfortunately for me, all the women that actually go nude are not that attractive (yup, that's right, they need to stoop to such low standards as to reveal their goods just to turn on any sensible man, jk about that comment lol), well, that's what my friend told me at least.
Posted Image

#35 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:13

Really depends on what part of europe you go to..

The whole thing with " SEX IS EVIL " Really only began with the catholic church, at least thats what i've read. If you go back to the romans and greeks they treated sex as the most natural thing in the world, the base instinct - Which it is... Sure sex can inspire some nutjobs to be violent. But so can TV and videogames if you believe some people. A people that are inherently violent will be violent no matter what the stimulus.

Simply put the human race could happily live without violence, but a world without sex? The human race would cease to exist. While I don't agree with the way sex is categorised as on par with, or even above violence in terms of the censorship / ratings world. I wouldn't want my child, if I ever have one. Seeing sexual intercourse at the age of say.. 12-13.

Edited by Insomniac!, 02 September 2008 - 05:11.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 EX-P.F.C. Wintergreen

Under Construction

• 578 posts
  • Projects: School, College Applications, Competitive Swimming

Posted 02 September 2008 - 20:43

I agree with Insomniac1, that is true. Sex is a basic ANIMAL instinct, not even human, just a self sufficient thing that all beings have. I also think that with these days teen pregnancy rate, contraception, abstinence and knowledge should be pushed by schools and especially parents while not actually promoting the act until in a relationship (not necessarily marriage).

TB
Formerly:

General Admission

The Basilisk

#37 Eddy01741

• 2223 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:07

Insomniac!, on 2 Sep 2008, 0:13, said:

While I don't agree with the way sex is categorised as on par with, or even above violence in terms of the censorship / ratings world. I wouldn't want my child, if I ever have one. Seeing sexual intercourse at the age of say.. 12-13.

THe only reason you think that way is because that's what society has made you think when you grew up. That said, I am a fellow tool of society and I wouldn't want a child of mine seeing sexual intercourse at that age either....
Posted Image

#38 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:17

It has nothing to do with society, thats the way I feel. Sex is a wonderful thing it should be celebrated not locked in a closet. Violence on the other hand is the act of wanting to physically hurt / kill another human being. How are they in any way the same?

If anything I have been brought up in a society that makes sex out to be evil, but with a media culture obsessed about it. These two conflicting views have allowed me to form my own opinions about both subjects.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 Eddy01741

• 2223 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:35

Um, I was basically saying that because of society, you would want to shield your (potential) children from sex at early age, as would almost anybody, it's the way we grew up that gave us such views (IMO), we don't see primates, shielding the little ones from sex, do we?
Posted Image

#40 ultimentra

Professional

• 358 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:27

I think the reason why sex is taboo in America is because america started off as a Puritan colony, a group of people who thought if a snake crossed their path satan was about to attack them. I am pretty sure Catholicism has something to do with it too, but not as much as our Puritan roots. I also think the reason we don't care about violence as much also has to do with our Puritan roots. Ever heard of the Salem Witch Trials? Our ancestors didn't give a shit about some killing or blood or gore for that matter. The colonists would also kill Indians whenever they wanted or had a reason to without hesitation for the most part. So yea, European society has very different roots than America so we definitely have different values when it comes to topics such as these.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#41 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:55

C. Boidy, on 6 Aug 2008, 4:08, said:

Make love, not war, anyone?

-Boidy

sure i will take u up on that u do the lovin stuff and i go and find a knife to do the war bit on you XD

any one notice that on nature shows on discovery, national geographic an elephant can spoof on the presenter and its only gets a PG i was watching "Dirty Jobs" to day and Mike Row is helping farmers inseminate and help cows giving birth there was no censorship and i felt sick while eating when i saw a calf just get shit out and it only had a PG+13 rating lol

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users