C&C's Top 10 flawed units

58 replies to this topic

#26 TWPC920

Semi-Pro

• 220 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 14:13

I was wondering, did anyone actually use Rangers from RA1? You know, those jeep with machineguns on it, i always found it more effective to just use APCs to scout since they were quite fast anyways, Rangers just seemed redundent to me.
"Wanna know how I got these scars? My father was... a drinker... and a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself; he doesn't like that. Not... one... bit. So, me watching - he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it. He turns to me, and says, "Why so SERIOUS?" So, he comes at me with the knife, "Why so SERIOUS?!" He sticks the blade in my mouth, "Let's put a smile on that face! And... why so serious? -The Joker (The Dark Knight)

#27 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 18 September 2008 - 20:30

View PostTWPC920, on 16 Sep 2008, 23:17, said:

most flawed unit?

Yaks from RA1... completely pointless since you can get a hind and do a better job, not to mention they were not cost efficient AT ALL >.>

Not really. They take care of rocket infantry really nicely.

Also Rangers are useful as recon. APCs are slightly slower, and they turn around slowly too.

Edited by AllStarZ, 18 September 2008 - 20:30.

#28 Uber Daisy

• 536 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 20:58

View PostAZZKIKR, on 18 Sep 2008, 9:28, said:

well,the magnetron is a glass cannon. it can be very powerful, pulling vehicles and releasing them on cliffs, and it has a relatively long range. However, it does have thin armour and the inability to attack anything with legs or wings makes it useful in certain situations and a bane in others.

"Others" referring to situations that never occurred in YR. The only way the magnetron could be less than awesome is if you failed to make ANY OTHER UNITS to cover the mag's weaknesses.
Reactors Posted Image
Sensors Posted Image
Weapons systems Posted Image
All Systems Nominal.

#29 ĦѦʠʠɵƇҟ Ϣϙɩƭ

Casual

• 52 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 22:01

View PostWaris, on 17 Sep 2008, 4:00, said:

There is a mission in Aftermath where you play as the Soviets and are tasked to quell a rebellion in a village. The villagers are armed with tesla guns, one of them have a nuke strapped on him.

I love that map.

The limpet mine. What a waste. Sure you can find an enemies base, but it takes a while, It's really noticeable, and easily fixable. I'd rather send Infantry to random locations on the map, and when one dies, there is probably an enemy force there. Cheaper too.
But what is truth, is truth unchanging law? We both have truths, are mine the same as yours?
Posted Image
"Never forget 06/17/2047" Sig edited, due to it being 300 pixels to wide. -Nem

#30 Foxhound

Ain't no rest for the wicked.

• Gold Member
  • 2027 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:46

Seeker-killer drone. While not a unit per se, it still bears mention. Uncontrollabe thing that does minor damage, and you don't even know where it's going to go. Pretty useless.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#31 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:24

Is the song in the BG the new hell march?

Goddamnit wrong thread >.<

Edited by P4v3d, 19 September 2008 - 05:25.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:15

View PostDaishi, on 17 Sep 2008, 18:09, said:

Now excuse me while I attack The Wandering Stupid.
I'd recommend you actually play these games before you go on about what units' problems hurt the game.

Pardon me, that was my opinion (and I am open for corrections, mind you).However, the point is, you did dare call me The Wandering Stupid. We do not know each other personally, so that does not give us any right to call ourselves any inane names we can think of.

I give it to a point that I never offend anyone (even there were other opinions that were worthy to throw poo on), but no, I do not offend anyone else here (at least I try to be).

I am terribly offended with your name-calling, Daishi. You can correct me, but please, never call anyone stupid just out of sheer imprudence. So what if I'm misinformed? You can always correct me in a CIVILIZED way. You do not have to add that inane name-calling. If we know each other personally, sure, you can call me stupid. But no, we do not.

I am not starting a flame war with you. I am just sending my message.

What you have done is unacceptable.

Edited by The Wandering Jew, 20 September 2008 - 01:29.

Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

#33 Comr4de

DO IT MAGGOT

• Gold Member
  • 5630 posts
  • Projects: SWR Productions

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:46

I'm watching this thread. Daishi that was uncalled for and I don't want to see that again. I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about so I don't need to explain myself any further. Keep it cool.

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome
Posted Image

#34 Uber Daisy

• 536 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:55

Sorry 'bout that, I tend to treat people online like I know them, whether compassionately or indifferently. (a part of the Anonymous mentality) I'll be sure to be as expressionless as possible with you from this point forward to prevent such an interpretation from occurring again. I just hope you understand in retrospect that it wasn't designed as an attack.

If anyone else wants to tell me my future comments worded as such will be taken as terribly offensive and with utmost seriousness, The Wandering Jew has shown that this thread is the ideal place to state so and Comr4de has shown it won't be considered spam by the administration, so speak up now so we don't have to take a chance.

Edited by Daishi, 20 September 2008 - 07:56.

Reactors Posted Image
Sensors Posted Image
All Systems Nominal.

#35 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:05

Duly noted.
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

#36 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:10

View PostAlias, on 16 Sep 2008, 15:36, said:

Eh? Obviously you haven't seen the Flakbomb. Put an Ivan bomb on a a terrorist. Put terrorist in Flak track, add 4 more terrorists. Move Flak track to enemy base, eject.

More effective than a demo truck.

Have you ever tried putting an Ivan bomb on a demo truck, loading a bunch of demo trucks onto a hovercraft...
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#37 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:13

View PostDr. Strangelove, on 20 Sep 2008, 17:10, said:

Eh? Obviously you haven't seen the Flakbomb. Put an Ivan bomb on a a terrorist. Put terrorist in Flak track, add 4 more terrorists. Move Flak track to enemy base, eject.

Have you ever tried putting an Ivan bomb on a demo truck, loading a bunch of demo trucks onto a hovercraft...

But you've got to be pretty quick about using hovercrafts, and hovercrafts are not known for speed.
Posted Image

#38 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:17

View PostThe Wandering Jew, on 20 Sep 2008, 10:13, said:

But you've got to be pretty quick about using hovercrafts, and hovercrafts are not known for speed.

No, the bombs don't detonate until the truck is taken out.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#39 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:21

View PostDr. Strangelove, on 20 Sep 2008, 17:17, said:

Some sort of bug?

It's worth trying...(re-installs YR)...
Posted Image

#40 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:26

View PostDr. Strangelove, on 20 Sep 2008, 17:17, said:

Multiply this by 9, use an Iron Curtain on it just before they enter the base, and enjoy the fireworks when the Iron Curtain has worked out :P Yes, I have done that one time vs the AI...
Posted Image

#41 Uber Daisy

• 536 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 16:40

Better to teleport the 9 meganukes in with an ally's Chronosphere. :P
Reactors Posted Image
Sensors Posted Image
All Systems Nominal.

#42 TWPC920

Semi-Pro

• 220 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 17:06

i thought the Anti personel mine layer from RA1 to be pretty useless as well... most people just spammed tanks against eachother in RA1
"Wanna know how I got these scars? My father was... a drinker... and a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself; he doesn't like that. Not... one... bit. So, me watching - he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it. He turns to me, and says, "Why so SERIOUS?" So, he comes at me with the knife, "Why so SERIOUS?!" He sticks the blade in my mouth, "Let's put a smile on that face! And... why so serious? -The Joker (The Dark Knight)

#43 Destrukto

Pimped-out Warrior

• 659 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:34

Dogs/Terrorists
They walk when ordered to move, however when ordered to attack something, THEY RUN FASTER TO ANY PLACE ON THE MAP!(huge exploit)

Edited by Destrukto, 28 September 2008 - 17:57.

#44 Thez

Obviously...

• 1128 posts
  • Projects: Shockwave & Code 13

Posted 23 September 2008 - 13:36

The most flawed unit has got to be the NOD Artillery unit from Tiberian Sun, insane range & damage, easy to get and its shell could fire through the fog of war (even black fog) and the shells were homing.
A few of these would annihilate any given ground army...
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

E.V.E.: The CD is like doing a Favor for me, playing with me should Entertain yourself

#45 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 23 September 2008 - 15:32

In TS yes, when they still homed, but in FS not, unless you didn't move your army. Also, the damage vs vehicles and infantry was drasticly reduced...
Posted Image

#46 Amdrial

Naval Wrenchineer

• Project Leader
  • 3047 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 16:02

View PostDutchygamer, on 23 Sep 2008, 17:32, said:

In TS yes, when they still homed, but in FS not, unless you didn't move your army. Also, the damage vs vehicles and infantry was drasticly reduced...

As well as having a smaller AoE damage radius, not causing anymore craters, and ofcourse, another explosion FX instead of the Orca Bomber one.
Posted Image
The above signature was made by TheDR.
Posted Image

#47 Destrukto

Pimped-out Warrior

• 659 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 17:58

What about Einstein/Mobius mission unit?

#48 Uber Daisy

• 536 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 20:28

Well, what was so flawed about it? It didn't fuck anything up as I remember.
Reactors Posted Image
Sensors Posted Image
All Systems Nominal.

#49 Destrukto

Pimped-out Warrior

• 659 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:41

It was worse than a Technician.
But so were "teh cowboiz" from RA2.

#50 Uber Daisy

• 536 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 21:22

View PostDestrukto, on 29 Sep 2008, 6:41, said:

It was worse than a Technician.
But so were "teh cowboiz" from RA2.

So? They play their intended roles perfectly and not too well. This thread is about units that are characterized by bad design choices, whether they broke the game or just failed at doing what they were designed to.

Edited by Daishi, 29 September 2008 - 21:23.

Reactors Posted Image
Sensors Posted Image
All Systems Nominal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users