#1 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:02

Look at what cool stuff they've made this time. :P

Linky here.

Edited by Soul, 26 September 2008 - 03:02.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#2 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:08

Can you say "Holiday Decorations"?
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#3 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts
  • Projects: Hangar 13 Projects

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:11

HoShit! The problem with that, tho, is that most satellites nowdays used for military reconnaissance have either thermals, or high enough zoom to see the stiches on the damn things. As in- it wouldn't work in use against most modern countries.
Swimmer
kinda, sorta alive.

#4 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:16

View PostSwimmer, on 26 Sep 2008, 3:11, said:

HoShit! The problem with that, tho, is that most satellites nowdays used for military reconnaissance have either thermals, or high enough zoom to see the stiches on the damn things. As in- it wouldn't work in use against most modern countries.
Swimmer

Actually, these could definitely fool satellites, but probably not spy planes.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#5 Waris

Endless Sip

• Gold Member
  • 7458 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days, DTU Donutin Council Co-Chairman

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:28

Spy drones, you mean. Planes like U2 and SR71 flies so high up there the photos taken from these will look similar to their satellite counterparts'.

#6 Zeke

The X General

• Project Team
  • 3504 posts
  • Projects: Deep Impact (formerly EC)

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:34

lol that's awesome :P

#7 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:49

LOL.

-Rorschach

#8 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:52

View PostWaris, on 26 Sep 2008, 4:28, said:

Spy drones, you mean. Planes like U2 and SR71 flies so high up there the photos taken from these will look similar to their satellite counterparts'.

Well, lower altitude surveillance craft.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#9 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:08

Pilot: Sir, we have bogeys at 12 o' clock.
Commander: What is it?
Pilot: Fourteen S300s!.
Commander: Wipe 'em out!
Pilot: Yessir!

(after a salvo of anti-ground ordnance...)

Pilot: Sir, I think we have a problem... :lol2:
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

#10 AZZKIKR

I am sarcastic and evil

• Project Leader
  • 2215 posts
  • Projects: beta tester of world at war cnc and situation zero concept art

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:10

the russians are full of hot air...

y is this in warfare tech?
Posted Image
Posted Image
RIP CommanderJB

#11 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:59

That is ever so clever. And impressively realistic looking for their simplicity of 'construction' - what with the high-pressure nature of modern warfare and split-second decision making forced upon participants due to the sheer speed of combat, it's extremely unlikely that you'd have time to verify one of these as a target before loosing an entire salvo's worth of weaponry on a pile of balloons. I wonder if you could rent one out at a military open day as a uniquely-styled bouncy castle...
Oh, and as for why it's in Warfare Technology, I would suspect it's because it's, umm, technology to do with warfare? I mean, it might not be high technology, but where exactly would you have put it? SYD? To do so would end any hope of sane discussion on the matter and attract voluminous amounts of, well, spam. It's much better off here, believe me.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 26 September 2008 - 14:14

This reminds me of what the British did in WW2. We painted the roofs of some military buildings so that they looked like ponds, or hills. Unfortunately they just decided to bomb our cities instead, so we created - fake cities!

A team of people would set up lights and oil drums then arrange them on a field somewere to look like a settlement, this was during the blackouts so they were prime targets for german bombers, when the bombs landed the team would blow the oil drums so that the german pilots didn't become suspicious. Saw it a while back on a documentary.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Rade

Veteran

• 443 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 14:17

Well first of all using decoys is nothing new in warfare and there are numerous examples when the warring sides used decoys, just one recent example is 99 NATO bombing of Serbia, during the conflict NATO claimed they have destroyed over 200 tanks, and as it turned out in the end there was only 13 or 14 tanks destroyed, and only about half of those where destroyed from the air while the rest where taken out by RPGs.
Heres just one link that illustrates what kinds of decoys where used
http://members.tripod.com/YUModelClub/war_.../woodenmigs.htm
Posted Image

#14 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 26 September 2008 - 14:44

Indeed, using mock-ups is almost as old as warfare itself, though I'd never heard of blow-up ones before (I'm actually surprised we haven't had any 'in Soviet Russia' jokes yet, although admittedly I have so far failed to think of one which actually works).

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 14:52

View PostCommanderJB, on 26 Sep 2008, 15:44, said:

Indeed, using mock-ups is almost as old as warfare itself, though I'd never heard of blow-up ones before (I'm actually surprised we haven't had any 'in Soviet Russia' jokes yet, although admittedly I have so far failed to think of one which actually works).

In Soviet Russia, you blow up tank :P

(yes I know it's not the right format, so sue me :P )
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#16 DerKrieger

Hillbilly Gun Nut

• 1758 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 20:06

Yea, prior to the D-Day invasion the Allies did create some inflatable decoys to fool German spy planes into thinking that the invasion force was larger than it actually was.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 partyzanpaulzy

Professional

• 316 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 21:46

Posted Image
baloon army :lol2:
Posted Image
(I'm making RA2YR mod, check Revora Forums for more info)
Posted Image
Posted Image
+ equivalents :p

#18 General Kirkov

The very model of a modern major general...

• 1749 posts
  • Projects: MOF book!

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:40

View PostBob, on 26 Sep 2008, 10:52, said:

View PostCommanderJB, on 26 Sep 2008, 15:44, said:

In Soviet Russia, you blow up tank :D

(yes I know it's not the right format, so sue me :P )

edit: I just may.

During the cold war, the Russians would send over hot air baloons and unmaned dirigables over the Arctic into Canadian and US airspace forcing the scrambling of fighters only to see unsavory remarks on the sides of said decoys. The plan was to keep NORAD on it's toes until it get fed up so a real strike could be launched when the fighters needed maintenance or they tought it was another "Balloon Raid."

Edited by General Kirkov, 27 September 2008 - 01:41.

All Proud Canadians put this Mapple Leaf Ribbon in your Signature! Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Clicking on the picture will bring you to the latest part of the stories.
The Terran Invasions: A New Threat Part 5 is now up!
MOF: Lost and Found Epilogue is now up!

Red Storm, TI-Prologue, TI-Chapter 1, MOF #1, MOF #2, MOF # 3, MOF # 4, MOF # 5, MOF # 6

#19 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 27 September 2008 - 04:40

Eventhough the term camouflage was of French origin, it was the Russians that have elevated that term to new heights. During the peak of the Sino-Soviet relations strain, bunkers were made (as ordered by over-stressed Nikita Khruschev) along the border, but not all were working. Some of them were intended as decoy by installing ancient KV2 turrets. So the advancing Chinese forces (they did not, fortunately) will blow up the dummies, only to get immolated by the real bunkers.

These balloons almost convinced me that they were real installations (as seen from afar, they would!)
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

#20 Eddy01741

E-Studios Uber Computer Geek

• 2223 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 15:39

Reminds me of what the allies did on D-Day, make mock up forces near the beaches of Calais to fool the Germans, who also thought that they would attack from Calais, and they hid their forces near the beaches of Normandy.

Anyways, are those first pictures of tank turrets supposed to represent defensive structures (made up of a tank turret and a concrete bunker underneath), or is it supposed to look like camoflauged tanks (since from a satellite, it'd be hard to see if it's a tank or just an emplacement).
Posted Image

#21 Jazzie Spurs

[Pantsu-Dan]

• Project Team
  • 4073 posts
  • Projects: Commanding the ECA 33rd Ground Assault Team.

Posted 28 September 2008 - 19:08

GAHAHAHAHAHAHA! XD
Anyway, Good Idea... XD I think :rofll:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImageBlack Lagoon OST
Posted Image

#22 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 20:29

Posted Image

However much they camo the boxes or whatnot, those missiles are still an eyesore. lol

Posted Image

#23 Pulse

• 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:34

inflatables lol clever though

#24 tank50us

Professional

• 345 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:42

hey, it worked in the lead-up to D-Day, why wouldn't it work in todays enviroment?
Anyone have a BBQ Lighter?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dauth edit: Sig removed for height violation.

#25 Thorazine

Semi-Pro

• 281 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:18

Inflate-a-base? *shrugs* There might be a crazy mod suggestion in here somewhere. Maybe.

Still, it's definitely a fast and easy way of "doubling" one's forces.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
This is my signature. If you like it, good. If you don't, I don't care.
"The walls we build around us to keep out the sadness also keep out the joy" -Jim Rohn
Final Fantasy VII - Voices of the Lifestream

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users