Last Person to Post Wins.

68 replies to this topic

#51 Arkhadancia

Amateur

• Tester
  • 134 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days Beta Tester.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 20:51

View PostStinger, on 6 Oct 2008, 22:22, said:

Okay, so if people wouldn't make meaningful posts elsewhere, then I don't think they have much to contribute to this board anyway, do you?

How's that for logic?

So now, if someone does nothing to the forum, he's useless, I'm right ?
And what about fun, sympathy, friendship ?
Where is the word "community" in that ?

I didn't think at all find that kind of mentality here, I'm disappointed...

- Arkhadancia

#52 E.V.E.

Femme Fatale Of The Army

• Gold Member
  • 6564 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 20:56

I can't remember that something realy bad ever happened in there.
If we would close it down, it would only do the Forum harm.

It's the longest Thread on E-Studios, and sometimes People just want to post something that makes no sense.
I never saw a Problem with it and I don't see one now.

That's what I said in a other Thread, and I still have this Opinion.
Sometimes I just want to post something that makes no Sense (nearly everyone does), and the Last Person to post wins Thread is the perfect choice for this.

Since I have visited this forum, I have never seen anything negative in that Thread, there's not a Reason good enough for me to close it down.

- E.V.E.

Posted Image

#53 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 06 October 2008 - 22:49

I can imagine closing the LPTPW thread might revitalize the IRC channel which potentially sounds good to me. One thing I don't like about the thread is the fact that if you leave it for a few hours, it'll grow by about nine pages and therefore you lose track of the conversation and it simply becomes like IRC only not that instant. I must admit it can be quite fun though I'm sure independent threads could have been created with the same sort of fun or the convos could have been held in IRC.
Posted Image

#54 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 23:19

View PostArkhadancia, on 6 Oct 2008, 21:51, said:

Okay, so if people wouldn't make meaningful posts elsewhere, then I don't think they have much to contribute to this board anyway, do you?

How's that for logic?

If someone joins and doesn't post I would say that they have not yet contributed to the board.

If someone doesn't post on a regular basis I would say again that they do not contribute. I would not go so far as to say that people useless. So you work in a computer game store. Imagine now you owned it. You would like to see people buying rather than just browsing. 8|

#55 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 23:34

View PostStinger, on 7 Oct 2008, 0:19, said:

View PostArkhadancia, on 6 Oct 2008, 21:51, said:

How's that for logic?

If someone joins and doesn't post I would say that they have not yet contributed to the board.

If someone doesn't post on a regular basis I would say again that they do not contribute. I would not go so far as to say that people useless. So you work in a computer game store. Imagine now you owned it. You would like to see people buying rather than just browsing. 8|

This has nothing to do with LPTPW, let's stick to the topic.

Edited by Bob, 06 October 2008 - 23:34.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#56 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 06 October 2008 - 23:47

View PostStinger, on 7 Oct 2008, 6:53, said:

If people weren't posting in that thread every minute like their life depends on it then I think they might be forced, in a sense, to channel their energy into something more productive instead. The thread detracts from the productivity of the board. Ergo, for every post made in LPTPW, a better one could be made elsewhere.

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree. People do not have a post quota which can be filled with different proportions of intelligent or non-intelligent responses, they post what they like, when they like, where they want to.
I would admit that some people spend excessive amounts of time in there, but to state that they'd automatically spend that exact same amout of time elsewhere is IMHO very gravely mistaken. If they're not posting elsewhere, it's because they don't want to, which is a separate issue entirely. You can't blame that on LPTPW.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#57 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:49

LPTPW is like a ghey topic, no harm but some peoples may hate it because what it includes, pointless yes but can be nice sometimes... I personally not really care despite I am posting to there time to time...

Edited by General, 07 October 2008 - 01:50.

#58 Ghostrider

Duly Appointed Federal Marshal

• Project Team
  • 991 posts
  • Projects: The Pants Party, Irradiated Inc.

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:23

I would really like to see the normal poll back for this topic.

I look at the forums several times a day, and if there are no topics for me to post in, I enjoy posting in the LPTPW thread, just for some harmless fun. 8| If the thread distracts staffers from doing their jobs, tell them that's not appropriate, but leave the thread for regular members. As stated, I'm sure there is PLENTY of server space to host the LPTPW thread, so what harm can it do? If you don't like the thread, just stay out.

Oh, and if you feel you really need to close a thread, be my guest to close the Wat thread. It's run its course, and as original poster I give you permission.

Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#59 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:34

View PostE.V.E., on 7 Oct 2008, 7:56, said:

It's the longest Thread on E-Studios, and sometimes People just want to post something that makes no sense.

Sometimes I just want to post something that makes no Sense (nearly everyone does), and the Last Person to post wins Thread is the perfect choice for this.

Since I have visited this forum, I have never seen anything negative in that Thread, there's not a Reason good enough for me to close it down.

- E.V.E.

As been said before, MSN is just as good an outlet to post something that doesn't make sense, WITH the added positive that you aren't disturbing/distracting anybody else.

So countless two letter posts aren't negative? I'd say they are. The reason for action is that it breaks forum rules (which I hope you are aware of) and it serves no purpose, along with the fact that several staff members don't post outside of it.

View PostGhostrider, on 7 Oct 2008, 13:23, said:

The poll was removed because I want to see discussion here, not just voting.

Posted Image

#60 Ghostrider

Duly Appointed Federal Marshal

• Project Team
  • 991 posts
  • Projects: The Pants Party, Irradiated Inc.

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:58

View PostAlias, on 6 Oct 2008, 23:34, said:

View PostE.V.E., on 7 Oct 2008, 7:56, said:

- E.V.E.

As been said before, MSN is just as good an outlet to post something that doesn't make sense, WITH the added positive that you aren't disturbing/distracting anybody else.

So countless two letter posts aren't negative? I'd say they are. The reason for action is that it breaks forum rules (which I hope you are aware of) and it serves no purpose, along with the fact that several staff members don't post outside of it.

View PostGhostrider, on 7 Oct 2008, 13:23, said:

The poll was removed because I want to see discussion here, not just voting.

What about people in my situation? I cba with MSN and adding everyone who posts in the LPTPW thread to my MSN friends list, and I can't access the IRC because of my school. In this case, the LPTPW thread serves the purpose of an outlet very well. If people get disturbed by posts in that thread, they should not enter it. And if mods/staff get distracted by the thread, well, they should receive a verbal warning, yeah? Perhaps from the community leader?

Also, I think you'll get plenty of discussion if you bring back the poll... plus we'd get to see how many people want this or that. 8|

Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#61 Izzy

Regular

• Project Team
  • 179 posts
  • Projects: Gen X Co leader and modeler

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:04

Leave that thread alone, It doesn't harm anyone. Anyway...

If you hate that thread or the entire section so much, why do you even bother looking at it (or post in it)? I know it's "USELESS" But that's the remaining fun part of this forum. If you lock it, it would take the fun out of the forum and eventually, this board might die due to it..

We're not a military camp for crying out loud, this forum is supposed to be a "Fun" community and not a strict military forum..>_>
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#62 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:29

*reads every single post in this thread*

I don't go very often, but occasionally it an be very fun. Wizard already said it won't happen, so I guess it just won't seeing as Alias is a representative ruler and has no power whatsoever.

Could be the Staffer Strike all over again though. Maybe even Alias getting banned. O_o
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#63 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:14

View PostDr. Strangelove, on 7 Oct 2008, 5:29, said:

*reads every single post in this thread*

I don't go very often, but occasionally it an be very fun. Wizard already said it won't happen, so I guess it just won't seeing as Alias is a representative ruler and has no power whatsoever.

Could be the Staffer Strike all over again though. Maybe even Alias getting banned. O_o

Bit far fetched dont you think?
Posted Image

#64 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:24

Ehh, its just idle speculation, but doesn't seem as unlikely as it used to.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#65 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:06

Yes, it won't be happening so let's lay off the "oh just lock it" and other associated nonsense please.

If this thread is to continue then I suggest, for the last time, you all start to discuss the content of the thread, which is actually Alias' biggest gripe, rather than anything else.

#66 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:13

Alias you should be able to see by the responses people have made, that alot of people want it to stay. Your supposed to be the voice of the community your not supposed to argue against the majority of the forum because of your own personal views.

The content of the thread is of very low quality yes, but so is the majority of the spam forum. I mean the "wat" meme, how pointless can you get?

Does the way people post in the LPTPWs thread make the forum any less enjoyable for you? No, alot of the people that post in LPTPW are quite capable of making intelligent posts in other threads outside the SYD. I can't see the fun myself in posting pointless two word phrases, but alot of people obviously enjoy it, so just leave them be.

Edited by Insomniac!, 07 October 2008 - 12:17.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#67 Jazzie Spurs

[Pantsu-Dan]

• Project Team
  • 4073 posts
  • Projects: Commanding the ECA 33rd Ground Assault Team.

Posted 07 October 2008 - 13:11

Lulz Poor Alias Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImageBlack Lagoon OST
Posted Image

#68 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 13:26

View PostInsomniac!, on 7 Oct 2008, 23:13, said:

Alias you should be able to see by the responses people have made, that alot of people want it to stay. Your supposed to be the voice of the community your not supposed to argue against the majority of the forum because of your own personal views.

The content of the thread is of very low quality yes, but so is the majority of the spam forum. I mean the "wat" meme, how pointless can you get?

Does the way people post in the LPTPWs thread make the forum any less enjoyable for you? No, alot of the people that post in LPTPW are quite capable of making intelligent posts in other threads outside the SYD. I can't see the fun myself in posting pointless two word phrases, but alot of people obviously enjoy it, so just leave them be.
Just because I hold a "vocal" position doesn't mean I lose the right to voice my opinion. Yes, I am meant to communicate the community's opinion to the staff even if I disagree with it, however this is a external not an internal matter. If there was someone who wanted to tell the staff "I love the last person to post wins thread and want it pinned!", I would not hesitate to notify the staff even if I disagreed with what was in the message. My personal bias does not and will not effect my duty.
I supported the "wat" meme for the first page or so, when it was a fresh idea and there was original content in it, however that died after about page two and I personally would've left it there. I am not against harmless fun, but sometimes there is such thing as too much.

Now, it seems the public doesn't think it is "too much", but I sincerely hope you at least consider raising the quality of the posts in there or I can promise you I will not remain silent (currently it is a breach of rules). Requesting lock, this has served its purpose... for now.

~A

Posted Image

#69 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 13:27

At OP request

:lock:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users