Dating age differences

14 replies to this topic

#1 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:34

At my work atm there's a 21 year old dating a 16 year old, and the whole place seems pretty divided over whether this is acceptable or bad... What's everyone's opinion on dating age differences in general? What ages do you consider ok and not ok?

As for me, I got no idea. I seriously can't make up my mind.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#2 Mortecha

Semi-Pro

• Project Team
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:47

Thats ok, but I would personally find it boring and slightly anoying being with a girl thats 5 years younger than me:P

#3 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:52

I guess the ages essentially don't matter as long as they have genuine feelings for each other, but I'd find it awfully awkward dating someone 5 years older or younger than me.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#4 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:02

It's disturbing.

-Rorschach

#5 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:07

@RaiDK (and to all interested):

I have dated women aged:
1. 18-20 (too feisty for me though)
2. 25
3. 36
4. 42 (Yes, she's a single mother. And she had proven me that a woman's age is like the age of brandy. The longer the age, the better it tastes. LOL :P )

Deduction?

1. If you're 21, do not date women whose age falls below 18. What if one morning Ms. Nymphomaniac wakes up and suddenly decide to sue you after that night of carnal pleasure? Well, that's an automatic Statutory Rape for you.). I repeat, do not go for below-eighteen young feisty ones, even if they're the ones who are itching to get their <obscene term> entered (sorry for the term, but I'm quite cynical about it).

2. Since you have mentioned dating in the workplace, I view this as unacceptable. A workplace should be treated as a workplace, promoting professional growth and not of "sensual" one. Dating should never occur in the workplace. It instigates conflicts of interests (the same reaosn why teachers should never date their students, or doctors date their patients, or lawyers date their clients.)

What if your co-worker dates outside the office hours? Depends, if he'll be discreet about it (and no, he was not, since the workplace knew about it). Having a relationship with a minor (provided that the workplace knew) only gives a negative impression in the workplace that you are not a professional, and unprofessional conduct is very untolerable in any case presented. Professionalism is professionalism. Business is business. Leave your personal agendas at the door.

Some lists of sexual unprofessionalism:
a. dating minors
b. dating first graders
c. transvesitism
d. sexual harrasment (Sexual harrasment is not about sex, it's about the abuse of power through sexual means.)

Overall, just keep it clean.

I guess that's it.

P.S. I was born almost sixty-five (65) years after the Russian Bolshevik Revolution.

Edited by The Wandering Jew, 18 October 2008 - 05:11.

Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

#6 RaiDK

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:41

Yeah I pretty much agree with you there on most points I'd say.

#7 Lord Atlantis

I am Iron Man

• 3807 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:47

Dating age matters during the teens while the said male and females are developing the most of their personality and are maturing the most. Once the 20's hit then it isn't as important, but there is always the bell curve to such things like a very mature 15 or 16 year old. Since, like Wandering Jew said, it is dating in the work place, that is generally looked down upon because the work place is where you are professional and don't have/act like you have any ties to those employees in that manner.

But if it were outside of the workplace, its kinda has to be evaluated on a case by case basis. If it is working for them, then no reason why you should try and invent/point out where it is wrong or shouldn't happen.
Posted Image

#8 RaiDK

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:04

Nah I really don't care what they do tbh, I'm more just interested in everyone's opinion on the general issue rather than this one specifically.

#9 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:29

Standard rule of creepiness
Minimum partner age = (your age/2) + 7
Maximum partner age = (your age - 7) * 2

So for 21 he has the range of 17.5 (18 really) to 28 so it is creepy.

#10 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:37

I always date older women. I dunno why really. It's not a personal preference but they just are more receptive to me.
Posted Image

#11 RaiDK

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 13:35

Standard rule of creepiness
Minimum partner age = (your age/2) + 7
Maximum partner age = (your age - 7) * 2

lol! That is awesome.

#12 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 14:09

Its a common thing tbh, what's even better is for my 4 years at university, anyone was fair game.

#13 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:46

I take it that's primarily for women. Women are also mostly the gender that can get most worked up about that, so..

Being 21 year old male, dating a 28 year old woman, really, that's way beyond your league.

As an 18 year old that formula would bring me at a minimum of 16, which I can kind of support since 15 sounds superbly childish to me for some time now...
Posted Image

#14 ultimentra

Professional

• 358 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:41

Im 16 years old, and I would NEVER date a 21 year old woman even if she said "date me and well fuck tonight". It wouldn't work in the long run because of differences not only in opinion because of point of view would differ so largely because basically we would be from entirely different generations of Americans. Also it would be weird because she would be older than my older sister.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:25

Datings falls on the view of the daters involved, I reckon.

View PostDauth, on 18 Oct 2008, 22:09, said:

Its a common thing tbh, what's even better is for my 4 years at university, anyone was fair game.

Ah, yes. College days. I remember. (rubs hands and smiles devilishly) :P
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users