Red Alert 3 expansion pack announced!

437 replies to this topic

#26 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 20:55

Looks like they drew inspiration from the Turtles' nemesis the Shredder for that Steel Ronin.

#27 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 20:59

I have to say the concept art for the gunship is superb. A really nice model imo.

#28 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts
  • Projects: NLS + Situation Zero

Posted 08 January 2009 - 22:05

Skirmish mode is confirmed.
Posted Image

#29 KiraSama

Vago Profesional

• 2145 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 22:12

View PostZhen, on 8 Jan 2009, 23:05, said:

since is a stand alone and they have said it wont be multyplayer on it

is there anyword about the units being added either by patch or by the pack instalation to RA3? or something about you needing RA3 to be able to use multyplayer?

also:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 22:14

View PostWizard, on 8 Jan 2009, 20:59, said:

I have to say the concept art for the gunship is superb. A really nice model imo.

Have to agree with you there, it's an awesome bit of work, loving that page at this moment in time.

Download-only isn't too much of a problem really, as long as they provide people a means to re-download if it all goes pearshaped. Downside is that people on limited broadband contracts will have some issues trying to download that stuff. Good to see that EA is getting more stuff out - will not be too happy/surprised if Yuriko gets a campaign to herself - why can't they choose a character that has been around for ages - Kane's Wrath focused on the main guy, why not focus on someone a little more 'central' to the RA series? Ah well.... plus it won't work too well with FMVs as they have no actress for her. I wonder......
For there can be no death without life.

#31 TunguskaM1

Regular

• Project Team
  • 187 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days

Posted 08 January 2009 - 22:14

Totaly doesn't look like the first Red Alert or at least as the second one. Not interested.

#32 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 08 January 2009 - 22:20

Here is some info.

Watch.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#33 TunguskaM1

Regular

• Project Team
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 22:28

Yea I just did. Nice new additions but still not the kind of game I wish to play. Just my thought.

#34 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts
  • Projects: NLS + Situation Zero

Posted 08 January 2009 - 22:28

View PostKiraSama, on 8 Jan 2009, 22:12, said:

is there anyword about the units being added either by patch or by the pack instalation to RA3? or something about you needing RA3 to be able to use multyplayer?

also:
Posted Image

They pretty much done what David Silverman said, Booster packs. Multiplayer will apparently get these units and maybe more.

@AJ they said that Yuriko will get a semi-campaign, call it a "4th faction if you will" :P
Posted Image

#35 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 22:39

View PostZhen, on 8 Jan 2009, 22:28, said:

View PostKiraSama, on 8 Jan 2009, 22:12, said:

also:
Posted Image

They pretty much done what David Silverman said, Booster packs. Multiplayer will apparently get these units and maybe more.

@AJ they said that Yuriko will get a semi-campaign, call it a "4th faction if you will" :P

Supposedly it's a 'dungeon-mode' kind of thing - a bit like the old Zelda games.... still - could have done one for Tanya who has been around forever :P Anyways, I do wonder as to why it's Standalone - it makes good financial and commercial sense (more people buy it one the cheap and see it as a sort of demo and that entices them to get RA3 etc.), but for all of us who bought RA3, you have to wonder what bonuses if any there are for having both, unless it's just using these units in multiplayer etc.... I'd prefer greater integration to be frank.
For there can be no death without life.

#36 TunguskaM1

Regular

• Project Team
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 22:47

The concept for that gunship looks very cool.

#37 KiraSama

Vago Profesional

• 2145 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 22:58

View PostTunguskaM1, on 8 Jan 2009, 23:47, said:

The concept for that gunship looks very cool.

i think we all can agree about all the concept art being fucking awesome

about units as far as i know EA said it will be 11 new units:
Allied:
Gunship(protocol power?)
Gryolegionary

Soviet:
Desolator
Grinder tank thingy

Japan:
Bowmen
Steel Ronnin
Giant Head
what looks like a sea building with many cannons(campaing only?)

Edited by KiraSama, 08 January 2009 - 23:04.

Posted Image

#38 D.K.

Semi-Pro

• 298 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 22:59

Is it just me, or I see that "reactor-gravity stabilizer" is ripped off those power cores on floating forts?
Requiescat in pace, James.

18.11.1991. REMEMBER VUKOVAR!

#39 Max Firestorm

• 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 23:40

'scuse me while I go die of awesome O_o;
Current Hamachi Status
Posted Image

#40 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:16

View PostDrugKoala, on 9 Jan 2009, 8:59, said:

Is it just me, or I see that "reactor-gravity stabilizer" is ripped off those power cores on floating forts?

Is it just me, or does the new Desolator look like a modified Nod Engineer?

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#41 Sharpnessism

Custom title!

• Member Test
  • 2871 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:35

Hmmm commander's challenge... sounds similar to general's challenge, awesome :P
Posted Image

#42 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:59

You get new tech while playing through the CC.

#43 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:46

View PostKiraSama, on 9 Jan 2009, 9:12, said:

also:
Posted Image
Flying heads as well as bowmen?

Honestly, what the fuck. :|

Edited by Alias, 09 January 2009 - 05:46.

Posted Image

#44 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:46

I don't really like the Allied Gunship. It appears to just be the Century Bomber with just some new bells and whistles (and new colours). Very uninspired.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#45 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:59

It doesn't really look anything like a Century to me. It has its engines in pods, landing gear sponsons, is about twice to three times the size, howitzers in the side and an autocannon in the nose, a large reactor/antigravity/VTOL/something else pod in the middle, a completely different tail configuration, and a rounded profile and nose. Just about the only thing it shares is chunkiness, which is pretty much part of the Allies' design aesthetic.
@topic, I am both looking forward to this and feeling a bit of trepidation. While I'm particularly interested in the Generals' Commander's Challenge and the mini-campaigns for each side, the Yuriko campaign with its 'dungeon crawler' mechanic would seem to represent everything I hate in RTS games at first glance. While we've yet to see their exact utility, again, at first glance, the archers and floating heads are a little wacky even for the EotRS. Still, I'm very glad we'll see a Rocketeer Gyrolegionary and Desolator again, and I hope that the rest of the additions are also along these classic lines. Whatever they are, I'm sure they'll be well-implemented, it's just a matter of taste.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#46 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:00

Posted Image

Oh my god! It's the great head of the samurai Namakubi and he's going to save humanity by destroying EVERYTHING!

I'll be honest: This degree of weirdness didn't quite surprise me. After all, it's the Empire we're talking about, a faction which seems to be entirely designed upon the phrase 'so bad, it's good'...okay, and japanophile fanservice. I actually like the looks of the Steel Ronin and the concept art of what SEEMS to be a Desolator.

#47 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:18

Mammoth Tanks: Memorable. Tesla Coils: Memorable. Chronosphere: Memorable. None of the new designs in the current game, nor as it appears, the soon-to-come expansion, reach that kind of iconic status like the ones I've just described. In Red Alert 2, we had the Allies' Prism Towers and Tanks, the Soviet Kirov Airships and Terror Drones, but nothing of RA3 meets that kind of standard either. Everything seems a bit stale for some reason.

The great thing about Starcraft is that a lot of the units in it have become iconic, if not by virtue of the designs themselves, then the game.

#48 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:25

View PostAllStarZ, on 9 Jan 2009, 18:18, said:

The great thing about Starcraft is that a lot of the units in it have become iconic, if not by virtue of the designs themselves, then the game.
MY LIFE FOR AUIR!

Posted Image

#49 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:29

Posted Image
Maybe possible that giant flying head is mission unit. Just like a Shogun Executioner.

#50 Red

Smell No Evil!!

• 581 posts
  • Projects: Nothing but posting...

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:49

Commander Challenge? wow Red Alert 3 is becoming more like ZH..
I sure hope they add World Domination/Conquers in..

View PostMR.Kim, on 9 Jan 2009, 15:29, said:

Posted Image
Maybe possible that giant flying head is mission unit. Just like a Shogun Executioner.

Thats one big flying head.. The design reminds me of yuri's barracks in YR.. And they're 3 possibilities about the unit..
  • Mission Unit
  • Epic unit (which is something i dont like.)
  • Or just some powerful unit

Fav. mod:
-SWR
-Contra
-Tiberium Essence

Got juice!?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users