Your Religion

407 replies to this topic

Poll: Your Religion (97 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your Religion / Belief system?

1. Christian - Covers all churches (25 votes [25.51%])

Percentage of vote: 25.51%

2. Muslim (5 votes [5.10%])

Percentage of vote: 5.10%

3. Sikh (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Buddhism (3 votes [3.06%])

Percentage of vote: 3.06%

5. Judaism (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Other (15 votes [15.31%])

Percentage of vote: 15.31%

7. Agnostic (17 votes [17.35%])

Percentage of vote: 17.35%

8. Atheist (32 votes [32.65%])

Percentage of vote: 32.65%

9. Hinduism. (1 votes [1.02%])

Percentage of vote: 1.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#176 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 27 April 2009 - 14:41

Its still killing yes but the 3 examples you provided were all very different. You cannot simply lump them all together.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#177 SorataZ

Professional

• 347 posts
  • Projects: For the hunt I sharpen my claws.

Posted 27 April 2009 - 14:52

@Alias: do you even TRY to read what I write?
@IonCannon: I have got better things to do than arguing with you wether comparing the killing of people because of different reasons is right or not.

#178 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 14:57

I can see which way this is going to go and I'd like to remind EVERYONE that EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinions on these forums and that we are discussing WHAT IS YOUR RELIGION. Not who did what to whom, when, why and is it bad.

#179 Revan

The Sneaky Cannon Fodder in the Background

• 2231 posts
  • Projects: Science!

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:46

Despite being christened cathloic and thinking of myself as atheist for a while, I am really agonistic. My mother had me christened because my grandparents on my fathers side were making fuss about it and she didn't want any to start any family wars. Not that it mattered that much, I left christianity relatively soon, at the age of 10, I think, because all the religious rituals I had to go through pissed me off. Most of my friends stayed, if only to get tons of money from all their christian relatives once they got confirmed. Either way, I do not regret my choice. For a long time I didn't really know what I was (although I am Jedi in the school database :/), until my maths teacher explained agnosticism to our class. Ever since then I've considered myself agnostic, as in my eyes it's the only "truthful" religious opinion, because it does not involve beliving in something that currently cannot be proved.
Posted Image

GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

#180 amazin

E-Studios resident XBOX360 (not computer) player

• 1483 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 14:19

they still have not proven how life started though

#181 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 14:29

How should they? Science isn't about being right, it's about not being as wrong as others.

Edited by Golan, 30 April 2009 - 14:30.

Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#182 Revan

• 2231 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 21:15

View Postumm not dachamp, on 30 Apr 2009, 16:19, said:

they still have not proven how life started though

Neither has Religion. However both sides have theories, most classic religious ones can be disproven very easily, whileas the big bang theory can not (at current) be disproven.
Posted Image

GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

#183 amazin

• 1483 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 23:29

when has creationism been disproven?

#184 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 30 April 2009 - 23:44

If your talking about true creationism. Well we know for sure the world isn't 5000 years old.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#185 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 01 May 2009 - 00:54

View Postumm not dachamp, on 1 May 2009, 9:29, said:

That's not what you asked. You asked whether or not it had been proved. Creationism hasn't. Taking the absence of disproof as proof and refusing to believe scientific evidence and logical argument that shows that the conditions described in Genesis go against all observed conclusions of the operation of the known universe is a skewed viewpoint to say the least.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#186 amazin

• 1483 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:19

have you seen the movie "Inherit the Wind"?

spencer tracy's character pretty much sums up my view in the end

#187 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:32

No, I haven't. Would you mind outlining it?

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#188 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:31

View PostCommanderJB, on 1 May 2009, 10:54, said:

That's not what you asked. You asked whether or not it had been proved. Creationism hasn't. Taking the absence of disproof as proof and refusing to believe scientific evidence and logical argument that shows that the conditions described in Genesis go against all observed conclusions of the operation of the known universe is a skewed viewpoint to say the least.
There's as much logic in a God creating the universe as there is in a magical explosion appearing out of nowhere. They both have an equal amount of evidence: none.

Due to the 'colour' of my religion, as with an afterlife I don't really need to think about what happened at the "beginning".

Posted Image

#189 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:03

View PostAlias, on 1 May 2009, 18:31, said:

There's as much logic in a God creating the universe as there is in a magical explosion appearing out of nowhere. They both have an equal amount of evidence: none.
Are you familiar with Hubble's Law? This and a whole range of other methods (such as background microwave imaging, element distribution, and examination of stellar ages and life cycles) all point toward space having expanded from a single point and peg its age at around thirteen and a half billion years. I know that you have said that you believe the Bible is more a collection of parables - I actually take much the same view - but I was referring to creationism as it is generally referred to (and, in some cases, taught as) - as the story of Genesis, that God created the world in seven days et cetera et cetera, which is using the above evidence demonstrably not correct. I do agree however that plugging a God into the Big Bang theory works quite nicely however and would explain an awful lot, and has no more or less evidence than the scientific view on the origin of the Big Bang (so much as there is one, anyway).

Edited by CommanderJB, 01 May 2009 - 09:05.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#190 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:35

The fact that matter originated from one location by no means rules creationism as 'wrong', who says that God didn't create the universe starting from this time and location? Even in a literal interpretation, the bible doesn't say that a "day" is 24 hours, you are simply taking the stereotypical interpretation. As with your last sentence, I wholeheartedly agree. No specification is said to the way the universe was created.

Posted Image

#191 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:48

You might as well argue that the universe was created, including our memories, last Thursday. The main issue with this as well as with the general argument 'God created it that way' is that it's not falsifiable, so it's not scientific. For any hypothesis to be scientific, it must be logically possible to disprove it.

Edited by CodeCat, 01 May 2009 - 10:50.

CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#192 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:52

The nature of this discussion is philosophical, not scientific, and as such does not need to be proven by science.

Edited by Alias, 01 May 2009 - 10:52.

Posted Image

#193 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:31

View PostAlias, on 1 May 2009, 10:31, said:

Did you know we can detect residual microwaves of the Big Bang, to such a degree that they disrupt measurements on Earth?
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#194 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:33

View PostChyros, on 1 May 2009, 21:31, said:

Did you know we can detect residual microwaves of the Big Bang, to such a degree that they disrupt measurements on Earth?
As I responded before, that by no means says that God did not cause the Big Bang. I never said the Big Bang never happened, I just said that it coming from nothing is as unlikely as it coming from a God, and as such the both have no evidence.

Posted Image

#195 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:42

View PostAlias, on 1 May 2009, 13:33, said:

View PostChyros, on 1 May 2009, 21:31, said:

As I responded before, that by no means says that God did not cause the Big Bang. I never said the Big Bang never happened, I just said that it coming from nothing is as unlikely as it coming from a God, and as such the both have no evidence.
I disagree there. There is no evidence God didn't cause the Big Bang, true, partly because you can always postulate a god in such a way there is no way to disprove it, but this means there IS evidence for a Big Bang. Now and seeing as how the bible (or any other religious book) describes creation as the Big Bang, I very much consider this evidence for the scientific approach and evidence against creationism.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#196 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 15:58

View PostChyros, on 1 May 2009, 12:42, said:

I disagree there. There is no evidence God didn't cause the Big Bang, true, partly because you can always postulate a god in such a way there is no way to disprove it, but this means there IS evidence for a Big Bang. Now and seeing as how the bible (or any other religious book) describes creation as the Big Bang, I very much consider this evidence for the scientific approach and evidence against creationism.

Care to elaborate this?
Posted Image

#197 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 16:47

View PostTehKiller, on 1 May 2009, 17:58, said:

View PostChyros, on 1 May 2009, 12:42, said:

Care to elaborate this?
As I said, we can detect residual microwaves of the Big Bang. So there is direct evidence for it.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#198 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 17:10

This is going way off topic.

Please lead by example, Moderating Team.

#199 amazin

• 1483 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 22:20

how do we know that microwaves are from the big bang, im sure there are different forces in space that we cannot even begin to comprehend any time soon, until we find a way to see even further into space.

that is one of the reasons i disagree with the big bang...

"first there was nothing, then there was a big ball of something, then it blew up and there was the universe"

one of the ideas presented in the movie (it is about the trail that decided if evolution could be taught in U.S. schools, which i do not disagree with) is that a "day" to god could be totally different from the 24 hour earth day. so when the bible says a day (which, as i have said, i think much of genesis is a metaphor) for all we know it could have been billions of years.

i just believe that there is wayyy to much of a coincidence that there was a puddle with some chemicals in it, then lightning struck it and single celled organisms magically came to life. and over time, those organisms evolved into multi-celled, then developed appendages, and got a central nervous system (verrry hard to believe), then got a conscience, and then you have man.

#200 Revan

• 2231 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 00:39

View Postumm not dachamp, on 3 May 2009, 0:20, said:

how do we know that microwaves are from the big bang, im sure there are different forces in space that we cannot even begin to comprehend any time soon, until we find a way to see even further into space.

that is one of the reasons i disagree with the big bang...

"first there was nothing, then there was a big ball of something, then it blew up and there was the universe"

You completely misunderstand the Big Bang theory, it does not at all state that at first there was nothing, it is not a theory about the creation of the universe itself, it is a theory (the theory supported with the most evidence) about how our current universe was created and states that at some finite time in the past all that we now know as the universe was condensed in a very small ammount of space etc... etc... it does NOT state what was before, especially not that there was nothing.

one of the ideas presented in the movie (it is about the trail that decided if evolution could be taught in U.S. schools, which i do not disagree with) is that a "day" to god could be totally different from the 24 hour earth day. so when the bible says a day (which, as i have said, i think much of genesis is a metaphor) for all we know it could have been billions of years.

It may well have been, we just do not know. However there are very fundamental creationists who try to prove that the world is only a few thousand years old and that dinosaurs lived together with cavemen (or was it in medievil? I don't remember, don't quote me on the dinosaur issue) either way, that is quite absurd in my eyes as we do have quite a lot of scientific evidence pointing the other way.

i just believe that there is wayyy to much of a coincidence that there was a puddle with some chemicals in it, then lightning struck it and single celled organisms magically came to life. and over time, those organisms evolved into multi-celled, then developed appendages, and got a central nervous system (verrry hard to believe), then got a conscience, and then you have man.

In my eyes aswell, the history of creation is a huge coincidence. I do not see, however, how that is in any way a problem. If you have billions of planets, a huge coincidence will happen on one at some point. The thing is, we are the only planet containing life that we know of, therefor we may as well be a very rare occurance.
Posted Image

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users