Your Religion

407 replies to this topic

Poll: Your Religion (97 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your Religion / Belief system?

1. Christian - Covers all churches (25 votes [25.51%])

Percentage of vote: 25.51%

2. Muslim (5 votes [5.10%])

Percentage of vote: 5.10%

3. Sikh (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Buddhism (3 votes [3.06%])

Percentage of vote: 3.06%

5. Judaism (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Other (15 votes [15.31%])

Percentage of vote: 15.31%

7. Agnostic (17 votes [17.35%])

Percentage of vote: 17.35%

8. Atheist (32 votes [32.65%])

Percentage of vote: 32.65%

9. Hinduism. (1 votes [1.02%])

Percentage of vote: 1.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#301 Zero

Commander&Chief of the Order of the Black Knights

• 581 posts
  • Projects: None, unfortunately

Posted 24 May 2009 - 15:08

Really? Kind of funny actually.

And I have to agree with Dauth. The reason why, I believe, is political, so I will leave it alone. Although I will say that religion has long been used by governments as a political scapegoat for attrocities and war (Simply look at the middle Ages) and I will also say that it is bound to the human condition, or in other words, our innate lust for power and our greed. To be honest, the people who DO carry out those acts are nothing more than liars or fanatics (radicals).

Personally, I see religion as an institution, which is I refuse to subscribe into ANY. Not only so, religion is an institution created and run by man, as well as corrupted by he to the point where it can no longer be recognized in comparison as to what it once was. The world is no longer a victim of such things to the degree of which it was a few hundred years ago, and the reason might be the fact that diversity is more acceptable for the most part and that countries now depend on each other for help in almost everything (case and point America rarely manufactures ANYTHING anymore in comparison to how much it did say...100, 50 years ago, it goes to other countries to get stuff made, and hence, the World Economy).

Religion is, again, a Man-made Insitution, and just like government easily corrupted. Therefore, the beliefs of any one Church are dictated by its leader and are no different than the beliefs of any one political party/politician. Therefore I believe we should look into the theism aspect of religion and not at the institution that is it. Just like during a debate, we agree with one man on one part and his opponent on the other, religion is just as such, and we should not be afraid to say "I disagree with this, and I will NOT believe that simply beacuse you say so." Why? Because the whole point of religion to begin with, was, according to the bible, and Jesus for the Christians, to have a PERSONAL relationship with God and whatnot, so it is therefore your own point of view of what your religion should be of.
Posted Image
Posted Image
[indent]Garrod "Newtype Killer" Ran[/indent]

#302 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 24 May 2009 - 15:57

You refuse to Subscribe to any yet..

View PostZero, on 21 May 2009, 16:35, said:

As for my time away, I got Confirmed by the Catholic Church.

And even after all your hate threads on the catholic church before your absence. Do you really know what you want?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#303 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 18:02

View PostIon Cannon!, on 24 May 2009, 16:57, said:

You refuse to Subscribe to any yet..

View PostZero, on 21 May 2009, 16:35, said:

As for my time away, I got Confirmed by the Catholic Church.

And even after all your hate threads on the catholic church before your absence. Do you really know what you want?

Actually, I don't hate the Catholic Church, if it sounded like that it's probably because I have an obscure way of writing, and I think I've cleared it up...some.

But I DO hate the fact I'm forced to go to Church EVERY Sunday (and my Confirmation was pretty much forced on me too, so meh). So, no, I'm not Catholic.

Yes, I know what I want: KNOWLEDGE! LOTS AND LOTS OF KNOWLEDGEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *Evil, Maniacal Laugh*

Edited by Zero, 24 May 2009 - 18:03.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#304 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 18:14

Okay, simple question: how can you guys even LIVE in this world when you fundamentally oppose EVERY institution and organization? Why didn't you burn down your schools? Why aren't you some armed militia fighting against the state? How can you earn your money when it would automatically mean belonging to or supporting an organization? How can you even be on this very forum without fighting it whenever the possibility arrises?
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#305 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 24 May 2009 - 18:14

View PostZero, on 24 May 2009, 16:08, said:

we should not be afraid to say "I disagree with this, and I will NOT believe that simply beacuse you say so."

If you believe that why don't your actions follow suite? You didn't want to be confirmed yet you allowed it to happen anyway. And yes I know what i'm talking about, my parents are very religious.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#306 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 22:30

View PostIon Cannon!, on 24 May 2009, 18:14, said:

View PostZero, on 24 May 2009, 16:08, said:

we should not be afraid to say "I disagree with this, and I will NOT believe that simply beacuse you say so."

If you believe that why don't your actions follow suite? You didn't want to be confirmed yet you allowed it to happen anyway. And yes I know what i'm talking about, my parents are very religious.

I did, and they know full well I'm aethist, I still had to. There are things parents can do to MAKE you do things, and btw, I don't want to get punished MORE than I already am (I've averaged 3-4 punishments a month since I've left the forum) because I get bored, and when I get bored, I get depressed, BADLY depressed (although they refuse to listen to this). Besides, at least know if I run into some Catholic chick I can get "Catholic" Wedding...god I hope I never have to marry in a Catholic Church....

And I do not oppose EVERY insitution. My main concern is with ones that claim to be "free" and "good" such as some governments I will not mention. This forum is not corrupt and uses its power to manipulate people, schools do to SOME degree, but I'll just say that's nationalism and whatnot (and besides, I learn there, and except for biology and Spanish which I can already speak I LOVE learning). Belonging to an organization/group is not bad, but belonging to one that is used for malice/causes harm/is corrupt is B-A-D bad!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#307 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:58

View PostDauth, on 24 May 2009, 12:29, said:

Squig we've said nothing against Buddhism, the reason being they have done nothing to us. Other religions though, they are sometimes hostile to those of us who want to say no to a deity.

What?

I don't recall saying anything about Buddhism, besides, weither Buddhism is a religion or merely a philosophy can be discussed, Also, not all the "other religions" have something against you, merely some people with the religion. If some french guy beats you up does that make all french people/France bad?

Edited by SquigPie, 25 May 2009 - 06:59.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#308 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:24

View PostZero, on 24 May 2009, 22:30, said:

I did, and they know full well I'm aethist, I still had to. There are things parents can do to MAKE you do things, and btw, I don't want to get punished MORE than I already am (I've averaged 3-4 punishments a month since I've left the forum) because I get bored, and when I get bored, I get depressed, BADLY depressed (although they refuse to listen to this). Besides, at least know if I run into some Catholic chick I can get "Catholic" Wedding...god I hope I never have to marry in a Catholic Church....

And I do not oppose EVERY insitution. My main concern is with ones that claim to be "free" and "good" such as some governments I will not mention. This forum is not corrupt and uses its power to manipulate people, schools do to SOME degree, but I'll just say that's nationalism and whatnot (and besides, I learn there, and except for biology and Spanish which I can already speak I LOVE learning). Belonging to an organization/group is not bad, but belonging to one that is used for malice/causes harm/is corrupt is B-A-D bad!

So it's okay as long as it does you good? How practical that you won't have many problems getting catholic girls laid...
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#309 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:13

View PostSquigPie, on 25 May 2009, 7:58, said:

View PostDauth, on 24 May 2009, 12:29, said:

Squig we've said nothing against Buddhism, the reason being they have done nothing to us. Other religions though, they are sometimes hostile to those of us who want to say no to a deity.

What?

Also, not all the "other religions" have something against you, merely some people with the religion. If some french guy beats you up does that make all french people/France bad?

I agree with Golan. Just because the terrorists are Islamic Extremists does NOT mean that the entire religion is bad. As I've said before, an equal argument could be used to describe the evils done in the name of medicine, so it is the person who does the act that is to blame, religion is just too good a scapegoat to ignore and justify the terrorists' reasons, hell, it might even make it easier for them to go to sleep at night, but the fact is that acts of evil done in the "name of God" are the same as the acts of evil done in the name of "progress"

You misunderstand Golan, I was referring to a Catholic wedding, which is something you required to be confirmed for and a LOT of Catholic people want. If you honestly think I'm so short-sighted and juvenile then you don't know me. I don't care much about sex, it's like everything else and no matter how enjoyable it might be at first it'll only get boring, and as it always does for me, it'll get boring FAST. Regardless, if I'd run into a Catholic girl who wanted a Catholic wedding I'd have to do this, and so, even though I did it unwillingly, at least there's a small bright side to it (in the form of not having to waste time doing it later)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#310 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:18

``if I'd run into a Catholic girl who wanted a Catholic wedding´´

If she thinks that some old, religious reaffirmation ritual to get the approval for the most natural thing in existence is THE decisive make-or-break-criterion for the future of your relationship, I wouldn't be too optimistic about the fundamental truth and firmness of your partnership in the first place. This was one of the reasons why I refused being confirmed back in the day. I don't WANT to be confirmed as a follower of a cult which I do not believe in, simply for the off chance of pleasing anyone who does.

Edited by Rayburn, 27 May 2009 - 07:19.

#311 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:57

Well, at that point I agree with you Rayburn, don't do something that betrays you're opinions. Like turning muslim because you fall in love with a muslim girl.

View PostZero, on 25 May 2009, 13:13, said:

I agree with Golan. Just because the terrorists are Islamic Extremists does NOT mean that the entire religion is bad. As I've said before, an equal argument could be used to describe the evils done in the name of medicine, so it is the person who does the act that is to blame, religion is just too good a scapegoat to ignore and justify the terrorists' reasons, hell, it might even make it easier for them to go to sleep at night, but the fact is that acts of evil done in the "name of God" are the same as the acts of evil done in the name of "progress"

Think you made an error. First you say that you agree with Golan, but the following statement seems to agree with me.

Also: If any of you guys ever go to the DoW 2 forums, prepare for the religion flamewar of your lives...

Edited by SquigPie, 29 May 2009 - 06:20.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#312 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:41

remove this post please

Edited by SquigPie, 29 May 2009 - 06:11.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#313 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 19:07

View PostRayburn, on 27 May 2009, 6:18, said:

``if I'd run into a Catholic girl who wanted a Catholic wedding´´

If she thinks that some old, religious reaffirmation ritual to get the approval for the most natural thing in existence is THE decisive make-or-break-criterion for the future of your relationship, I wouldn't be too optimistic about the fundamental truth and firmness of your partnership in the first place. This was one of the reasons why I refused being confirmed back in the day. I don't WANT to be confirmed as a follower of a cult which I do not believe in, simply for the off chance of pleasing anyone who does.

Well, I'm not saying that. Simply put, I wouldn't do that, if someone forces me to believe something, I do not want to be in that relationship. However, as an Aethist I am bound to no Church. Regardless, when I turned Aethist, I was already thalfway through my first year of confirmation class, besides my parents would not allow me to leave. I'm simply stating that it is an upside to something, and even then, I'd rather conform a little. A marriage only happens once, ideally, so therefore it is something both parties should be able to remember. Besides, some families are REALLY fanatical about this, even if the daughter is not (I know three girls like this I mention off the top of my head) and so it also makes it easier to avoid altercations and evade problems.

View PostSquigPie, on 27 May 2009, 8:41, said:

Think you made an error. First you say that you agree with Golan, but the following statement seems to agree with me.

Oh, I'm sorry SquigPie, I meant to say I agree with you not Golan. Sorry, sometimes I tend to mess up.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#314 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 20:18

Not that it matters. Just wanted to let you know:)

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#315 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 20:59

Couple of things here. Firstly, converting to a different religion is not necessarily a bad thing, and can can bring you benefits as long as you choose to believe in the good that religion would bring, although it is also your choice to denying conversion to that religion. Secondly, the rules of marriage in the Christian church are such that one of the people being married must be confirmed or christened. As my position on religion was made a while back, I'll simply state that I'm confirmed, and I care not for or against it. It is common knowledge, however, that most women like to plan out their dream wedding while still young, and that just gets stuck in their head forever. At that age, most women don't know much about the church, or anything else like that. Therefore, many will have their dream wedding planned in a church, as that is how so many stereotypes go. While I am not in a position of caring much about whether or not I am tied to one/any religion, I am of the position that should I choose to get married, it would be to the woman that I love. In such a case, anything that I could provide for her to make the day more special for her, I would do - and if that means getting married in a church, I have that one covered. It's a perk, but one I'd rather have than not have.

Oh, and in finality, how in the name of heck did the moderators miss the DP?
For there can be no death without life.

#316 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 21:03

AJ you know well enough not to ask us to do our jobs. Admins spend far too much time doing nothing to respond to requests :pnd:

Squig, go back to the rules, read up on double posting. Also this is now a verbal warning that you should contribute to topics as opposed to pointless +1 posts. I have no problem setting your post count to zero if I have to.

#317 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 21:10

Fair dooze. My apologies - Man United match is causing abrasiveness and I needed a little vent.
For there can be no death without life.

#318 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 27 May 2009 - 22:43

View PostAJ, on 27 May 2009, 17:10, said:

Fair dooze. My apologies - Man United match is causing abrasiveness and I needed a little vent.

And you chose to vent here?

Also, @ topic, Religious Conversion is rarely an easy choice for anybody. It often has great implications on one's character especially as they feel either disappointed or unsatisfied with their beliefs. Not only that, but in many countries, it also has great social implications too. Members of his former religion will look to him as a traitor, and not all members of his new faith will be willing to trust him. Conversion shouldn't be an easy process because you have to think really hard if it is what you really want.
Posted Image

#319 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 13:19

@AJ-I agree with the marriage thing, and that is what I meant to explain. Thanks for the help!

If I remember correctly Conversion was one of the problems with the early Catholic Church. Simply put, if it is hard to join a church, then it would scared people away. Most especially those who are just browsing around for one to follow. For example, say I'm trying to choose which Christian Church I want to join...THERE ARE BLOODY THOUSANDS!!!!!!!!!! So, I would try to spend time in each one, and then choose.

It's better to keep it easy, it allows people to come and go and does not make them feel trapped in by duty/time constraints where as they disagree with some beliefs and find another church more appealing and befitting. And yeah, it does strain the person socially, but in there lies one of my biggest problems with religion.

Religion is SUPPOSED to be a PRIVATE relationship with God. In fact, I think Churches shouldn't even be allowed to the extenc that they are now, because they tend to pervert the religions and twist them to fit the leaderships' own needs, political or otherwise. Unfortunately, there seems to be no such thing as a PRIVATE relationship with God anymore, in fact it is SO COMPLETELY SOCIAL that every single little action for/against God can harm/raise a person, it should not be so. If religion has ANY social aspect, it should be limited at worshipping together and then let people make their own choices, after all, what is the point of damn free will if we can't choose what religion we want or what to do with our religion? EVERYBODY interprets a religion differently. NO TWO PEOPLE believe the exact same things about any one religion and as for that, it is easy to say that there WILL be some conflict, if not a lot, that is why religion should be something about PRIVATE relationship with god, not what church you follow, or how much money you donate, or even how often you go to church, or even whether you converted or not.

Note:Not sure if that last paragraph made sense, but I can't get myself to explain it any better right now....

Edited by Zero, 28 May 2009 - 13:20.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#320 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 28 May 2009 - 22:29

View PostZero, on 28 May 2009, 9:19, said:

Note:Not sure if that last paragraph made sense, but I can't get myself to explain it any better right now....

i understood it
Attached Image: bob.jpg

#321 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 00:50

View PostWNxMastrefubu, on 28 May 2009, 22:29, said:

View PostZero, on 28 May 2009, 9:19, said:

i understood it

REALLY?! Cool, hopefully the message got across well.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#322 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:04

View PostDauth, on 27 May 2009, 23:03, said:

AJ you know well enough not to ask us to do our jobs. Admins spend far too much time doing nothing to respond to requests :read:

Squig, go back to the rules, read up on double posting. Also this is now a verbal warning that you should contribute to topics as opposed to pointless +1 posts. I have no problem setting your post count to zero if I have to.

AHH FRAK!!!

sorry for that, intended to make them one post, just forgot to do it.

won't happen again, sorry.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#323 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 30 May 2009 - 16:53

hmm this forum has alot of christains and athiests.
Attached Image: bob.jpg

#324 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 22:18

View PostWNxMastrefubu, on 30 May 2009, 18:53, said:

hmm this forum has alot of christains and athiests.

lol wut?

Stating the obvius....

Wellcome to the internet, consisting of 20% Christian, 79% Atheist and 1% Other.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#325 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 30 May 2009 - 22:36

What happened to all the Muslim, Jewish and other believers.
Posted Image

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users