OK Britain WTF happened?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 21:04

Campaigners have called for a judicial inquiry after Alan Johnson and David Miliband admitted the Government could not guarantee that information used by the security services was not obtained through torture.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...-admission.html

Just how the blazes we expect to win the hearts and minds of the Afgans and Iraqi's is now quite beyond me. We have an INVASION FORCE in another country for several years and expect people to welcome us? Most of the troops will not speak the language (understandable since our education system involves hitting intelligent students with stupid ones), and we walk around in fucking sunglasses! People will not trust you if they cannot see your eyes!

@Topic at hand. I, obviously quite naively thought there were some things that the UK, a founding and permanent member of the UN security council and on of the signatories of the Human rights act and Geneva convention, would not do. I know the forces do a tough job and I thank them for that but it is a well known fact information gathered under torture is worthless, to quote Reservoir Dogs "If you fucking beat this prick long enough, he'll tell you he started the goddamn Chicago fire, now that don't necessarily make it fucking so!".

This world is far from perfect but its obvious that something is very wrong and I'm pretty sure its a lot closer to home than Iraq.

#2 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 21:24

I'm confused.
Are we talking about our troops mistreating those foreigners?
Or are we talking about how information collected during torture is?
Or are we talking about that WE as a nation have information aquired through torture?

Any of those, is a disgrace, to our country, our ideals and our responsibilities as human beings.
You almost did, didn't you?

#3 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:55

Torturing for gaining information is wrong. Torturing with intention to kill someone is twisted

all in all torture is something that horribly wrong. No matter what the intention is (whether a counter terrorism act or a sadistical way to kill) there is and will be always false (especially when done on innocent civilians)
Posted Image

#4 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:43

Welcome to the club, you aren't the only country with such an alarming decline of morals.

However, the statement of your government is simply the acknowledgment of reality. With security services working together, it is simply not possible to determine the origin of informations, including whether or not they were gained by means of torture. Ignoring valuable information because they might have been gained through amoral means is, realistically, not an option depending on the significance though.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#5 amazin

E-Studios resident XBOX360 (not computer) player

• 1483 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 16:39

i think it also depends on where you draw the line between interrogation and torture.

Physical torture is obviously wrong
And causing permanent damage to person's body/mind it is wrong

not saying i agree with torture, but where do you draw the line? because you still need information out of these people

Edited by umm not dachamp, 12 August 2009 - 16:40.

#6 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 20:12

Well, the worst that have happened here in Denmark is that we allowed the CIA to transport a group of suspected terrorists over our country in plane (to be tortured in USA).

I'm sure we got a torture camp somewhere, but its not been out in the puplic yet.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#7 Ixonoclast

Amateur

• 103 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 21:46

Getting tortured by the Danish must be truly the most horrible experience ever...

"OH NO, NO MORE LEGO! OH GOD! I'LL TELL YOU ANYTHING!"

*nidface*

But anyway, torture. Blah. The world of intelligence is vague and far-away. All we can do is shout "NO" when things leak, but meh. I doubt it has a real effect.
Posted Image

#8 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 23:03

Ixonoclast, on 12 Aug 2009, 22:46, said:

Getting tortured by the Danish must be truly the most horrible experience ever...

*nidface*

But anyway, torture. Blah. The world of intelligence is vague and far-away. All we can do is shout "NO" when things leak, but meh. I doubt it has a real effect.

Leave out the spammy content in the PA please.

We can rally in the streets, we can vote against people in the polls. We can do more than just shout.

#9 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:58

Dauth, on 13 Aug 2009, 0:03, said:

*nidface*

We can rally in the streets, we can vote against people in the polls. We can do more than just shout.

But then to be fair, is that fighting the right fight? Everyone moans about how torture and inhumane means of treating are terrible, terrible things, but so are the atrocities committed upon our own soil. I don't think there's any way of saying who started this 'War' that we have going on at the moment, but as long as the other side does this sort of thing, and worse *remembers bloke having head cut off with machete on TV*, then I'd say that it's not unreasonable to protect ourselves in a way that we see fit. I doubt anyone here would have a problem with being saved from danger through the torture of the person planning the event to begin with, which would kill or maim you if let be.

It's not nice, and in a time of peace I'd condone it as it would be pointless. However, it serves a point, and are we so stupid as to take the high ground so that we can 'lose' this 'war', just because we have a few people marching through the streets complaining about how it's not completely fair. Life isn't fair, they made their choice, and we have a right to defend our country.
For there can be no death without life.

#10 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:51

The terrorists very reason for doing all of this shit is to change our mind, change how we think, and if we downgrade ourselves to the very same things they do, then haven't they won?

Meh, I think that we could come up with something worse than lego to torture prisoners with "NOOO! NOT ANY MORE "NICK OG JAY" MUSIC! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!"

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#11 Ixonoclast

Amateur

• 103 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:43

Dauth, on 12 Aug 2009, 23:03, said:

Well, that's what I meant by shouting "NO". But my point is that the world of the secret services is so far away and so secretive that we'll never know what goes on there.

Warden Norton, on 13 Aug 2009, 1:58, said:

But then to be fair, is that fighting the right fight? Everyone moans about how torture and inhumane means of treating are terrible, terrible things, but so are the atrocities committed upon our own soil. I don't think there's any way of saying who started this 'War' that we have going on at the moment, but as long as the other side does this sort of thing, and worse *remembers bloke having head cut off with machete on TV*, then I'd say that it's not unreasonable to protect ourselves in a way that we see fit. I doubt anyone here would have a problem with being saved from danger through the torture of the person planning the event to begin with, which would kill or maim you if let be.

It's not nice, and in a time of peace I'd condone it as it would be pointless. However, it serves a point, and are we so stupid as to take the high ground so that we can 'lose' this 'war', just because we have a few people marching through the streets complaining about how it's not completely fair. Life isn't fair, they made their choice, and we have a right to defend our country.

If we degrade ourselves to their level, we've become the terrorists ourselves, it completely negates our democratic system. When we torture, we can just as well join up with the terrorists, because we've become the same evil oppressive warmachine.
Posted Image

#12 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:09

Warden Norton, on 13 Aug 2009, 1:58, said:

The problem with torture, notwithstanding moral aspects, is that it is ultimately the most unreliable "tool" to gather information. Even the basic premise of torture is "the subject lies" or at least "the subject doesn't cooperate" and "we don't know the truth", i.e. "his statements are worthless" because there's no way to verify them. Now, the idea is to change this by subjecting the subjects to physical and mental torment to the point at which they stop lying and start telling the truth - problem being, for any neutral observer (i.e. anyone who isn't the poor bastard being tortured), there's still no way of telling whether the subject lies or not as his statement's still can't be verified.

Besides that, forgive me for beginning to be a total asshole, but statistically and objectively speaking, saying that "their atrocities allow us to do the same" lacks
the foundation to have the meaning needed for your point.
First, it's a double-edged sword - it's not them who attacked us, so the statement could just as well be "our atrocities allow them to do the same". We are the ones having heavy military forces deployed in foreign countries and meddled with their affairs and life far earlier. Life isn't fair, we made our choice, and they have a right to defend their country.
Second, in accordance to this, the battle is hardly fought "on our soil". Look at how many people have been killed by terrorism over time. Every friggin car driver is more of a threat to the general populace then ten terrorists. But, let's just stay with this cretinous analogy for a moment, shall we? I'm a bicyclist and can reliably count on having at least two situations per week in which a car driver intentionally ignores my safety, which could very easily lead to killing me, maiming me or reducing my brain to a smear on his windshield. So is it justified for me to demand torture being used against these obvious aggressors? Can smokers demand the CIA to start torturing Marlboro CEO's to find out about their schemes of adding addictive and poisonous substances to their products? Can homeowners demand the NSA to abduct waste disposal clerks to uncover their plans of saving 10$ each year by dumping hazardous materials near housing estates?
Third, we're not gonna loose this war if we refrain from torturing people. It's not a question of live and death, not a question of survival, it's a matter of convenience. We torture people because we are afraid of what we turned them into, not because it's a matter of achieving victory. The irony being that our undifferentiated actions are very likely to create even more of those monsters we are afraid of, to the point were we will one day (or perhaps already did) reach the moment in which for every death prevented, more people will die by the hands of those people our actions drove into fighting us.

Edited by Golan, 13 August 2009 - 10:11.

Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#13 Ixonoclast

Amateur

• 103 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:59

Applause to Golan, if I wanted to add anything to this topic, Golan already did.
Posted Image

#14 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 17 August 2009 - 22:19

Warden Norton, on 13 Aug 2009, 4:58, said:

Dauth, on 13 Aug 2009, 0:03, said:

*nidface*

AJ two wrongs don't make a right. You have to set the example for the others. By performing atrocities like this, you reasoning becomes circular in logic and can apply to them again. By avoiding the torture methods you keep your opponents in the wrong. And besides, torture has proven to be fairly ineffective or at least the CIA torture methods. Apparently the torture methods used by Arab intelligence agencies is supposed to be far more efficient though I don't know how or else I wouldn't be here talking with you.

Edited by Scope, 17 August 2009 - 22:20.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users