Creative Consultants

34 replies to this topic

#1 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 16:37

The staff are looking for active members who want to help shape and guide Fallout Studios in the future. For a long time, the staff have determined the direction that the community has taken. Like all things, times have changed, and we want to hear what little gems the community has hidden up its sleeves. This is your chance to take on an important role in the community by shaping and securing the long term future of Fallout Studios.

As for some short guidelines, we'd most certainly appreciate as much detail as possible, outlining how you see your ideas working for both the members and the staff along with the benefits for the community. It would be helpful if you avoided posting ideas such as

moar steam servers
but instead something like

The staff should use some of the money donated to the community to invest in steam servers for games such as TF2, L4D and MW2. This helps the community by adding another possible event.

This is your community and all input is welcome. Your ideas can be big or small, good or bad, you never know until you tell us.

#2 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 17:32

Maybe expand the community a bit ? Like making this place a RTS players' haven or include more place for popular games such as Half Life or any other ? and after talking to project leaders , removing the mods which have no actual future ?

#3 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 18:08

There used to be a community at pulsareffect.com

I'm not sure what happened to it but they used to host 5 GMOD servers, each with a different game mode.
I was often on 3 of the 5, a GMOD racing server, Role play lite and Role play serious, (Not as nerdy as it sounds :P).

The servers were very popular and I'm not sure why they died, maybe a GMOD fanatic among us has more info.

Anyway, key note is that they would charge $22 (about £13 or £14) for VIP access on all 5 servers.
VIP access would grant you additional features and bonuses in the 5 servers.

For example, in the racing server it would allow you to buy guns and ion cannons which normal players would not be able to use, also allow you to use custom skins for the racing car (The buggy model was used) rather than the standard rusty skin, give you an extra 25% payment* and a reserved slot.
(The actual game mode is that you start off with a standard car and as you gain money you upgrade it with Nos, brake pads, ramming spikes, armor, aforementioned guns, car radio, maybe a horn, power steering etc.)

*The payment refers to the amount of money that you win per race.

The role play server also granted you the 25% increase in payment, aswell as access to jobs that normal players couldn't get such as a place on the swat team and oher bonuses.

So, basic suggestion is to do something similar.

Edited by W!, 28 October 2009 - 18:08.

Posted Image

#4 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 19:48

View PostGabriel Angelos, on 28 Oct 2009, 17:32, said:

Maybe expand the community a bit ? Like making this place a RTS players' haven or include more place for popular games such as Half Life or any other ?

It would be great if you [or someone else] would expand on how you think we should do that. I am not being sarcastic, in fact very serious, but we can't do it all ourselves.

#5 Lord Atlantis

I am Iron Man

• 3807 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:30

Perhaps some of the people monitor some of the upcoming mods and games and advertise hosting here and try and get some big name up and coming mods hosted here.

Also, getting more traffic here should help with expanding the community. Not just RTS players, but some FPS players among others.
Posted Image

#6 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:24

How do you propose we generate more traffic, though?
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#7 Lord Atlantis

I am Iron Man

• 3807 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 16:40

Just getting more links to the forum out there I suppose. But at the same time too much traffic and people flowing in and out may not be the best for the forum.

Just thinking out loud.
Posted Image

#8 Warbz

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 16:47

Turns out pulsareffect.com was ahcked but is now back up, mostly.

http://www.pulsareffect.com/

If you wanna look.

Posted Image

#9 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 18:11

Making the forum sections only accessible to members maybe an interesting idea to take more members, 'but' it also may 'repulse' some potential members, I personally become a member to see or download something on another forum, but there is plenty more I just 'ignored' 8|

#10 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:20

Man, as much as I'm anti-censorship, I just have to get this out.

How can it be that a site which is no-sexual-content and childfriendly doesn't have a swearfilter?

Just saying thats all, if you want to have a swearfilter, make it something funny though, like funky for f*ck, or Monkeyfighting/Monday-to-Friday for motherf*cking

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#11 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:22

Whilst it isn't as much of a suggestion as a question I'll answer it anyway. It is because we value your right to freedom of speech, you have a right to swear, whether appropriate or not, likewise we have the right to slap for doing it to :mad: . We won't be implementing a swear filter.

#12 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 16:45

Are there other things that you can implement for the amount of posts you have, as giving away other things such as reduced limit on PM sending (Probably not possible) could encourage users to post more, as many there aren't many people posting outside of the spam forum.
You almost did, didn't you?

#13 Warbz

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 16:51

You could do a thing where each month every person who donates at least £5 will be entered into a draw to win a game. November could be CODMW2 or soemthing. That is, if you expect to have the amount of doantion increased by more than the cost of the game.

Posted Image

#14 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 16:52

Afaik there is a limit to what we can do with post limits as a guide. Anything else would need to be a modification to the board software or a manual change involving usergroupings, which is a lot of hassle for such things. I am not saying no, but in a global context it is a minor issue. We will consider it however.

C'mon guys, try and think BIG!!!

#15 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 17:05

While I'm thinking out loud:
This, is a brilliant idea, why it went dead, I don't know.
It really needs more use, a link on the front page, and on the bar at the top of the forums (where the other links are) would be great, while cleaning the topic regularly of course; more advertisment for this idea is a must-have really.
You almost did, didn't you?

#16 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 17:43

View PostW!, on 30 Oct 2009, 16:51, said:

You could do a thing where each month every person who donates at least £5 will be entered into a draw to win a game. November could be CODMW2 or soemthing. That is, if you expect to have the amount of doantion increased by more than the cost of the game.

If we needed more money, this would probably not be a bad way to go about it. However, as far as I am aware we're not in any dire need of monies, thus I wouldn't worry about that. What we really need is a few good ideas as to what to do with or without that money. If you think we should do something like advertise on Google Ads, then tell us :mad: As Wiz says, the bigger the idea the better!
For there can be no death without life.

#17 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 30 October 2009 - 17:55

AJ that Google Ad idea is brilliant! As Code has said elsewhere, we need more exposure.
Posted Image

#18 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 18:17

View PostViseur, on 30 Oct 2009, 17:55, said:

AJ that Google Ad idea is brilliant! As Code has said elsewhere, we need more exposure.

I didn't really want this thread to be where we said what we can't do, but we have already investigated google ads and there are issues with it regarding taxes and companies. We aren't one and it'll be my taxes :mad: I will investigate it again to see if I can find a way around it, but I am almost positive that as it stands it isn't a viable option.

#19 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 30 October 2009 - 18:24

Oh well that answers that, though we could see other advertising options.
Posted Image

#20 Lord Atlantis

I am Iron Man

• 3807 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 21:37

View PostWizard, on 30 Oct 2009, 11:17, said:

View PostViseur, on 30 Oct 2009, 17:55, said:

I didn't really want this thread to be where we said what we can't do, but we have already investigated google ads and there are issues with it regarding taxes and companies. We aren't one and it'll be my taxes :P I will investigate it again to see if I can find a way around it, but I am almost positive that as it stands it isn't a viable option.

What if we were to create a new member group for those who have contributed something like money to the forum as a whole so that we can do more things?
Posted Image

#21 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 22:47

Firstly, money goes to all of FS not just the forums.
Secondly, why should there be a reward attached to donating? Isn't keeping FS running enough of a reward?
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#22 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:31

View PostRed Medic, on 1 Nov 2009, 6:47, said:

Isn't keeping FS running enough of a reward?

Personally I think this is true.
Posted Image

#23 Mortecha

Semi-Pro

• Project Team
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 16:24

Why not start up a mini flash portal here, but instead of just having hundreds of crap ones, have afew good ones.

Modding support for more games other than cnc based ones, even though yes you support fallout 3.

Support for a small indie game development hub.

Incorporate a 3d model library where users can vote on them, this saves artists from having individual threads. Something like newgrounds for example. The same can apply to artworks, music etc etc.

Start a RA3 modding wiki.

#24 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 19:42

View PostMR BURNY FACE, on 1 Nov 2009, 17:24, said:

Modding support for more games other than cnc based ones, even though yes you support fallout 3.

We already do that.

View PostMR BURNY FACE, on 1 Nov 2009, 17:24, said:

Support for a small indie game development hub.

I'm not sure there is really a need for it. The existing forum we have for it isn't even used that much, so wouldn't a separate hub get used even less?

Edited by CodeCat, 01 November 2009 - 20:07.

CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts
  • Projects: New!

Posted 01 November 2009 - 23:43

For me, the only way of getting more visitors is making FS a mod hostee like Moddb. Not like, but with forums for new mods and modders (like Revora).
"The entire ocean. The entire world. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what Tidal Wars really is... is freedom."
Posted Image

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users