• 11705 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:21

So it really isn't much longer than the first Portal, then. :|

Posted Image

#127 Vision#

Visitor

• 27 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:16

Not to worry i found it quite long enough, it has way more chambers that portal one had :D
and the puzzles were trickier so of you don't abuse your brain powers you should be able to play this game quite a while, finished it myself and i would like to know how many of you found the "over the board" achivement,
cant say what it is cause some havent played and dont want spoilers.
Found it myself at to say was quite proud of my find |8
Posted Image
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.

#128 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 20 April 2011 - 15:25

People who think they've completed the game in 4hrs or less are either lying or using steam time (Which is currently a bit buggy, most users report low times for portal 2 despite playing a fair bit longer) - Or rushing.

The game is 2-3x longer than the original portal, but the scale of the thing? well 10x at a rough guess. I probably spent 1hr just looking at the environments, I also explored as much as I could, though couldn't get the radio to give out the secret message, must be some other knack to it. Theres also a fair amount of easter eggs and other goodies to read all over the place. The puzzles themselves are not that difficult, apart from one which stumped me for a bit. The game spends so much time introducing all the mechanics that there really aren't many tough puzzles, that said I think the puzzle difficulty was similar to portal 1, excluding challenge chambers.

I completed the single player campaign in about 8 hours, apparently the co-op one is similar in length and more challenging, it also leads on from the single player campaign.

Oh and I found "Over The Board"

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 20 April 2011 - 15:26.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#129 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 16:13

Well, according to my steam time I've played about 4hrs. I'd say that's rather buggy, and I've probably got about 6 out of it. Tbh I was a little disappointed it ended quite so quickly, but that said, the game was pure genius. Brilliant writing, fantastic environments, and (reasonably) challenging puzzles. I think I agree with Ion when he says that they spend a lot of time introducing new things, so much so that you barely get to play with them before the game is up. However, I believe the co-op almost immediately kicks off assuming you have that knowledge, and thus the puzzles are supposed to be a fair bit more demanding.

Tbh, aside from it being a little short (and still almost totally lacking in links to HL) (and there not being a huge amount of JK Simmons AKA Cave Johnson), this is a wonderful game. It looks beautiful, plays beautiful, and sounds beautiful. It's engrossing/engaging/whatever you wish to call it. Simply wonderful. |8
For there can be no death without life.

#130 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 16:37

View PostAJ, on 20 Apr 2011, 17:13, said:

Well, according to my steam time I've played about 4hrs. I'd say that's rather buggy, and I've probably got about 6 out of it. Tbh I was a little disappointed it ended quite so quickly, but that said, the game was pure genius. Brilliant writing, fantastic environments, and (reasonably) challenging puzzles. I think I agree with Ion when he says that they spend a lot of time introducing new things, so much so that you barely get to play with them before the game is up. However, I believe the co-op almost immediately kicks off assuming you have that knowledge, and thus the puzzles are supposed to be a fair bit more demanding.

Tbh, aside from it being a little short (and still almost totally lacking in links to HL) (and there not being a huge amount of JK Simmons AKA Cave Johnson), this is a wonderful game. It looks beautiful, plays beautiful, and sounds beautiful. It's engrossing/engaging/whatever you wish to call it. Simply wonderful. |8

Eh? there was loads of JK Simmons, though more wouldn't have gone amiss. Did you do all the vitrified doors?

The lack of HL links is unsuprising, afterall this is 200 years after the first Portal game which itself, occurred after Black Mesa.
Spoiler

It's more likely the next HL game will have references to Aperture.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 20 April 2011 - 16:40.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#131 NergiZed

^^^ Pronouced like the battery brand ^^^

• 2992 posts
  • Projects: Shockwave and Rise of the Reds

Posted 20 April 2011 - 17:02

Took me a little under 7 hours to complete. What a truely sublime game. Story-telling, gameplay, pacing; everything was great.

Even Wheatley comes off to be a rather strong character, though not nearly as good as GLaDOS. Cave Johnson though is a much stronger character.

Spoiler

Edited by NergiZed, 20 April 2011 - 17:04.

#132 Vision#

Visitor

• 27 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 19:36

The steam time is totally off, as i was said to complete the game in 1.5 hours. I played only SP and it took me around 8 hours aswell.

Spoiler
Posted Image
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.

#133 NergiZed

^^^ Pronouced like the battery brand ^^^

• 2992 posts
  • Projects: Shockwave and Rise of the Reds

Posted 20 April 2011 - 22:14

View PostVision#, on 20 Apr 2011, 15:36, said:

The steam time is totally off, as i was said to complete the game in 1.5 hours. I played only SP and it took me around 8 hours aswell.

Spoiler

Posted Image

#134 Magma

Regular

• 174 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:20

If Steam game time really is off, then Portal just felt way too short. |8
Gona play it second time, and play detective on every corner to try and find every secret etc.

Edited by Magma, 21 April 2011 - 04:37.

Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it... It really is worth fighting for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk everything, you risk even more.

________________________________________________________________________________
Everyone needs believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.
________________________________________________________________________________
My greatest weapon is my knowledge.... And laser beam eyes.

#135 amazin

E-Studios resident XBOX360 (not computer) player

• 1483 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:29

be sure to read the posters in the
Spoiler

they are hilarious, especially the $60 dollar yacht one

#136 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:51

I watched whole videos on youtube and pretty intersting story.

Spoiler

#137 Vision#

Visitor

• 27 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:30

Spoiler

Im gonna leave my 2nd play after i play coop though. Btw look if you can notice Big/Fat turret stuck in the elevator shafts before elevator arrives, it was near beginning the first or second row of chambers and quite an achivement for me atleast.|8
Posted Image

#138 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 23 April 2011 - 00:12

http://valvearg.com/c/o/u/n/t/down/

Just posting this here...

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#139 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 00:21

View PostCJ, on 23 Apr 2011, 1:12, said:

http://valvearg.com/c/o/u/n/t/down/

Just posting this here...

The ARG Champions who went to Valve said they would be creating more ARG's in the future, quite possibly with the help of Valve / the 13 indie devs. So I guess thats what it is.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#140 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:56

I've been playing a few custom maps recently, namely the winners of the summer initiative mapping competition and one map called Sphere:Delta bunsen. They're pretty good. Patent pending is the most challenging I think, though its easier if you use the alternate methods. Infinifling is just about portalling at the right time but it's still quite a fun map and Sphere:Delta Bunsen has some very nice mechanics and is a good length. So if your looking for more portal and more of a challenge than the official game, check these out 8|

There is also a good number of coop maps, though I haven't tried any of those yet.
Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users