441 replies to this topic

#151 PT2

• Project Team
  • 4 posts
  • Projects: Dawn of Warhammer 40k: Firestorm over Kronus

Posted 08 December 2010 - 16:34

View PostAdmiral FCS, on 8 Dec 2010, 4:17, said:

Another question.

I've got the Census Repository Building. Now I'm wondering what's cap.

Try hovering the mouse over numbers in the query itself and you will see the descriptions.

It is used to determine if your region has reached the population caps. If your cities experience stagnant growth, then mostly probably they have reached the population cap (100%), which can be relieved by building additional recreational parks, airports etc, depending on the type of the population (Residential, Commercial or Industrial).

#152 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 09 December 2010 - 16:47

I don't know how I did this... the commute time was 25, then I went into another city, expanded a bit, came back and BAM - 0.6 minutes..

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#153 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 17:00

Warp drive upgrade?! 8|
Posted Image

#154 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 18:36

Just two pretty night shots showing off some lovely custom buildings.

Posted Image

Heres the real thing for comparisonPosted Image

Posted Image

And the real one Posted Image

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 12 December 2010 - 18:47.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#155 NergiZed

^^^ Pronouced like the battery brand ^^^

• 2992 posts
  • Projects: Shockwave and Rise of the Reds

Posted 12 December 2010 - 20:48

Damn, those looks nice. Is there a nice pack of quality custom buildings and other accessories somewhere? I think I'll reinstall Sim City 4 over the break. :P

#156 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 23:01

View PostNergiZed, on 12 Dec 2010, 20:48, said:

Damn, those looks nice. Is there a nice pack of quality custom buildings and other accessories somewhere? I think I'll reinstall Sim City 4 over the break. :P

Unfortunately no, though there are packs so to speak on Simcity Devotion. Simtropolis files use minimal dependencies. On SC4 Devo they use a different method. The model files are released in packs (Or at least older ones are) and then you download a seperate file for the data. So you might have 5 modelpacks(each containing 2-8 buildings), and one data file would provide all the stats ect for all the buildings in the packs.

The only way to get a huge lump of custom content is to pay / donate to the sites. If you donate 20$ (or something like that) they'll send you a disk with all the custom content you could ever need plus some exclusive extras.

Some of the custom content also takes a bit of finding. For example I had to trawl through various japanese sites to get the Roppori Hills Mori tower. It was worth it though, the model quality is excellent and its a wonderful building. I would post the link, but I can't seem to find it anymore..
Posted Image

Posted Image

#157 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:33

Why not bundle some of the best you've found together for everyone else here :P

#158 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:43

I'm not really supposed to do that. But I suppose I could bundle a load of stuff together and people could PM me for the download link.

It's also worth noting that alot of my downloads are there to build massive populations, something not everybody wants. For example I have several R$$ buildings which contain 6k pop each, the normal game has a max of 4.6k, at least for R$$ anyway. That said if people inquire here about the kinds of things they want I'll have a trawl through my plugins folder and put it into packs.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 13 December 2010 - 12:20.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#159 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:21

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Random shots from one of my cities.

#160 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:36

Looks nice and spacious, nice use of the NAM as well.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#161 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 17:09

I've been building some suburbs this afternoon, heres the result. - Region population now 20,850,000

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#162 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:57

Still looks like the middle of nowhere. |8

Too bad SimCity 4 makes those diagonal roads look ugly.

#163 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:40

View PostJJ, on 18 Dec 2010, 2:57, said:

Still looks like the middle of nowhere. |8

Too bad SimCity 4 makes those diagonal roads look ugly.

Well that was the look I was going for. I don't want my entire region to by skyscaper forests, just 50-60% of it |8

Heres a showcase of the city of Hitchcliffe, population 580,000. 120k commerce, 80k high tech industry. The grid parts were created a while ago, the sort of scenic bits - The big industrial park / suburbs bit and the central commerce area were all created today.

Construction of the Hi-tech park commences, played around with some nice pipeline lots.
Posted Image

Expansion of the Hi-tech park
Posted Image

Overview of the suburbs, I plan to build them all the way up the hill.
Posted Image

View of the Hi-tech park and the central commerce area.
Posted Image

Suburbs and out of town offices.
Posted Image

Better view of the central commerce area.
Posted Image

Overview of Hitcliffe, the new areas are alot more aesthetically pleasing than the super grid skyrises. Or at least I think so..
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#164 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:52

So many mod buildings and stuff...... I guess I'm going to get more of these.

Well, guess I'm going to post mine later.

#165 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:25

View PostAdmiral FCS, on 18 Dec 2010, 3:52, said:

So many mod buildings and stuff...... I guess I'm going to get more of these.

Well, guess I'm going to post mine later.

Yeah, I have a buttload of custom content. Its mainly commercial high rises. But I have more of everything really. Looking forward to your screenshots.

I've also modded most of my HT industry to have more jobs. Or they came that way, if I find a nice model but it has low jobs then I mod it. The big white industrial unit has 3.1k jobs each. The cool greenhouse thingy has about 1400. Heres a link ( - http://simcitymemo.seesaa.net/ - The creator, Raika, has some nice stuff, english translations are included, most japanese bat makers don't bother. All the downloads can be found in the "Category" side menu.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 18 December 2010 - 04:32.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#166 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 23:21

I fixed a problem that I think Jinzor was having earlier in the thread.

If after installing the NAM your sims won't use elevated rail / rail / monorail you probaly installed the wrong driving side version. I made this mistake myself, I installed the right hand driving side NAM, but my game is a left hand driving side version. This is easily fixed by uninstalling the NAM and reinstalling it with the correct drive version.

Oh and heres a very busy junction. It has about 150k vehicles going through it.

Posted Image

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 19 December 2010 - 23:22.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#167 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 17:04

Attached File  Suburbia_Jan._7__711292863702.png (1.08MB)
Number of downloads: 16

I admit I'm too lazy to get an ImageShack account :lol:

#168 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 20 December 2010 - 17:28

You don't need an imageshack account.

I got a question about suburbs: What is their functional purpose in a city? As in, do they give any benefit exept for looking nice?

#169 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 17:33

IMO the thing that suburbs do is to provide a base for future growth; you don't build Rome in one night, as the saying goes, and you need to build wide before build high. Once you get a suburb that has lots of demands, growing other cities become much easier, and then you can start planning the skyscraper forest almost everyone's dreaming for.

EDIT: Um, I think I need an account, simply because it's 1mb for each pic and the max attachment size is 4 mb >.<

Edited by Admiral FCS, 20 December 2010 - 17:34.

#170 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 18:05

View PostAdmiral FCS, on 20 Dec 2010, 17:33, said:

IMO the thing that suburbs do is to provide a base for future growth; you don't build Rome in one night, as the saying goes, and you need to build wide before build high. Once you get a suburb that has lots of demands, growing other cities become much easier, and then you can start planning the skyscraper forest almost everyone's dreaming for.

EDIT: Um, I think I need an account, simply because it's 1mb for each pic and the max attachment size is 4 mb >.<

You don't need an account, SC4 saves album images as PNG, use a basic graphics program like irfanview or something to convert to JPG.

Suburbs are neccessary in the beginning, because they are your city. At my stage they just look nice / realistic. It looks a bit odd to have only highrises. Suburbs are also much much less dense, so you don't get traffic problems with them.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#171 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 21:50

Am I supposed to build that many I-HT in a suburb?

#172 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 22:22

View PostAdmiral FCS, on 20 Dec 2010, 21:50, said:

Am I supposed to build that many I-HT in a suburb?

Well if you have the demand for it, you can have as much or as little as you like. I-HT doesn't create much pollution at all, so its not detrimental, if you find its still making a bit of pollution, build some parks, they're quite effective at reducing it. I build alot ot I-HT myself, because its the only form of industry I have. And that city isn't really a suburb, its a transistion. It still has nearly 600k sims after all.

I notice you have some no job icons on your pic? is that because of commute time or lack of jobs?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#173 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 23:29

TBH, IDK. With NAM and the transportation network in this suburb I would guess it's not commute time, and there is a I-D and I-M town right next to it with subways and buses too, so can't really figure it out.

#174 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 00:23

View PostAdmiral FCS, on 20 Dec 2010, 23:29, said:

TBH, IDK. With NAM and the transportation network in this suburb I would guess it's not commute time, and there is a I-D and I-M town right next to it with subways and buses too, so can't really figure it out.

There are times that happens still, in one of my cities three buildings always have no job, can't work out why. Still the incidence of it occuring is much less than it was pre-NAM.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#175 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 23 December 2010 - 21:03

I found that zoning some commercial as close as possible to the jobless area helps, usually. If nothing helps: Demolish and let it rebuild.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook