Simcity 4 ( Warning, big images)

441 replies to this topic

#201 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 17:06

Yes, quite extreme :D

Why not build recycling stations or garbage burning plants? Sure, they do cost a lot of money, but wouldn't it be better, though?

#202 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 29 December 2010 - 17:14

I have 4 waste incinerators in that city, they are just barely off-screen. they couldn't keep up anymore tho.

#203 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 29 December 2010 - 17:47

Edge of the world garbage dumping at your service.

I've never seen those before, quite snazzy.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#204 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 17:48

Linky to epic lot.

Posted Image

Pretty much ran out of space. Do you think I should demolish the airport and replace it with more commercial/resitential/IHT?

Edited by Sgt. Rho, 29 December 2010 - 17:50.

#205 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 17:57

View PostSgt. Rho, on 29 Dec 2010, 17:48, said:

Posted Image

Pretty much ran out of space. Do you think I should demolish the airport and replace it with more commercial/resitential/IHT?

Depends if you need the airport. Airports just raise the CO caps by the capacity of the airport. Nice looking city you have there. Whats the population?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#206 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 18:15

The population is somewhere between 180k and 190k, I'd need to check to give you exact numbers.

Edit: Has 193k inhabitants, the entire region has about 400k

More pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Smallville has been obliviated and redone, and I've done some extensive suburbs there, all the power and water come from Arcadia, and all the garbage goes there, and into the abyss. Suburbia is with 1.1m$ the richest of the cities.

Edited by Sgt. Rho, 29 December 2010 - 19:09.

#207 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 22:45

You can turn off the grid by pressing g. It makes everything look a bit nicer :D

The sims who live at the top of Suburbus must be very fit, thats a pretty steep hill they live on. You also have an avenue which stops, then starts again straight away. For continuitys sake and to make it look a little nicer the avenue should just go all the way through. With 400k population your well on the way to getting large commercial buildings as well |8

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 29 December 2010 - 22:45.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#208 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 23:08

actually on the hill, it's 2 roads, I couldn't be bothered to fix it yet :D

I know how to turn the grid on and off, I turned it on however, to make zoning, etc easier.

And another question: how many squares are skyscrapers big?

#209 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 23:38

View PostSgt. Rho, on 29 Dec 2010, 23:08, said:

actually on the hill, it's 2 roads, I couldn't be bothered to fix it yet :D

I know how to turn the grid on and off, I turned it on however, to make zoning, etc easier.

And another question: how many squares are skyscrapers big?

They vary. But for the large commercial ones alot of them are 4x4, all the maxis ones are 4x4 I think. Though some of the smaller maxis ones are 2x3 or 2x4. Residential skyscrapers (Maxis ones) are more variable. 2x3, 3x3, 3x4, 2x4, 4x4.

EDIT : Remember how I was going to rezone my big industrial city in the middle as Hi-Tech / Residential / Commercial? Well heres a little teaser of the nearly finished city. It has 1018k sims, 215k High-Tech and 84k Commercial.

This is the commerce district.
Posted Image

Same area at night, love this shot.
Posted Image

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 29 December 2010 - 23:49.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#210 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 23:49

Those look a bit bigger than 4x4 O.o By size, I mean grid-squares, of the grid you get when you hit 'G'.

#211 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 23:54

View PostSgt. Rho, on 29 Dec 2010, 23:49, said:

Those look a bit bigger than 4x4 O.o By size, I mean grid-squares, of the grid you get when you hit 'G'.

Thats what I meant ^ Most of the big maxis commercials are 4x4, maxis residential skyscrapers are much more variable.

Its also worth noting there aren't that many BIG maxis commercials. Theres only 6 that are CO$$$ and 6 which are CO$$. And the CO$$ while having alot of jobs, aren't that tall.

Heres a useful list - http://www.simcityce...glist/index.php View it as developer type or it will take forever to find stuff.

Big Maxis CO$$$ (All 4x4)

Pedriana Pharmaceuticals 7k jobs
Hurt Enterprises 7k jobs
Cahalane Communications 5.4k jobs
Lind Entertainment 5.7k jobs
Hogan and Wallace Insurance 5.6k
Van Pro(something) trading 4.5k

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 30 December 2010 - 00:09.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#212 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:05

Pro tip : Don't Alt-Tab for too long on the region screen...
I just did that while I was installing all the custom content I've grabbed and this is what I got :
Posted Image

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#213 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:06

Owned by clouds?

Clowned?

CLOWNS?!

#214 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:15

View PostCJ, on 30 Dec 2010, 10:05, said:

Pro tip : Don't Alt-Tab for too long on the region screen...
I just did that while I was installing all the custom content I've grabbed and this is what I got :
Posted Image

Yeah I think I know why that happens. It should dissappear soon though or if you turn your monitor on and off it may fix itself. Sometimes if I alt tabbed then came back the entire sky would be full of planes moving really fast. It's basically just showing you what you missed when it was alt tabbed or something. Sometimes I would be unable to click my cities after alt tabbing or have other graphical bugs, turning the monitor on and off a few times generally fixes all the above. You also sometimes need to re-minimize then maximise again.

Theres also no point installing custom content while alt tabbed as I think you need to restart the game to take effect anyway, though I'm not sure on that.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 30 December 2010 - 12:16.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#215 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:27

View PostIon Cannon!, on 30 Dec 2010, 13:15, said:

Theres also no point installing custom content while alt tabbed as I think you need to restart the game to take effect anyway, though I'm not sure on that.

I did restart the game, it's just that I forgot to exit it before starting my installs :D
Didn't try it yet though, too busy for that D:

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#216 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:39

View PostCJ, on 30 Dec 2010, 12:27, said:

View PostIon Cannon!, on 30 Dec 2010, 13:15, said:

I did restart the game, it's just that I forgot to exit it before starting my installs :D
Didn't try it yet though, too busy for that D:

Ah I see, another problem you may come across after installing is sometimes the game won't start. It will say its running, it will use up your system resources but nothing will actually happen. Again, easily fixed, go into control panel, end the program and load it again as normal.

Just a small note as well, if anyone sees anything they like in my screenshots, circle it or describe it and I'll do my best to find the link to the download.

I completely underestimated the amount of traffic on this road. It was an avenue, then I made it ground highway, but its still carrying 100k vehicles or more. I'm not entirely sure how much as the game traffic numbers don't go any higher than 65335. But from adding up the onramps its at about 102k. I was hoping I wouldn't need to lay any subways, but it seems I will afterall.

Posted Image

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 30 December 2010 - 12:40.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#217 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 14:12

Posted Image

Update. I've built a highway into Arcadia now, due to long commute times, which thanks to the highway dropped like a rock.

Cyberia, House. and Moneria respectively are purely IHT, 60% R, 30% C and 10% IHT and 90% C and 10% R.

#218 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 17:15

View PostSgt. Rho, on 30 Dec 2010, 14:12, said:

Posted Image

Update. I've built a highway into Arcadia now, due to long commute times, which thanks to the highway dropped like a rock.

Cyberia, House. and Moneria respectively are purely IHT, 60% R, 30% C and 10% IHT and 90% C and 10% R.

Looks like your region is coming along nicely. Could we see a transport map? or maybe some closeups of the cities?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#219 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 18:35

Posted Image

Here.

A little story about this region and why I am incredibly tempted to nuke it.

I had the first skyscraper, but it got abandoned immediately, because of high commute times...but the highway led down into residential and industry areas. Then it catched fire, and for some reason the firefighters couldn't but it out, so it burned to the ground >.>

Edited by Sgt. Rho, 30 December 2010 - 18:44.

#220 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 18:55

View PostSgt. Rho, on 30 Dec 2010, 18:35, said:

Posted Image

Here.

A little story about this region and why I am incredibly tempted to nuke it.

I had the first skyscraper, but it got abandoned immediately, because of high commute times...but the highway led down into residential and industry areas. Then it catched fire, and for some reason the firefighters couldn't but it out, so it burned to the ground >.>

Whats your average commute time?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#221 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 19:03

In New City it's wavering between 50 and 55.

#222 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 19:28

View PostSgt. Rho, on 30 Dec 2010, 19:03, said:

In New City it's wavering between 50 and 55.

Thats not to bad. Try putting subways in the densest areas though, that should cut down on commute times a bit. It may not effect the average much but it should stop places abandoning from commute times.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#223 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 19:32

Yeah, it helped quite a bit, I've also completely restructured the subway system, to be more efficient.

In New City I have a whole area 'abandond due to lack of water', even tho it is shown as watered and I have much more water than I use...

Edited by Sgt. Rho, 30 December 2010 - 19:37.

#224 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 19:44

View PostSgt. Rho, on 30 Dec 2010, 19:32, said:

Yeah, it helped quite a bit, I've also completely restructured the subway system, to be more efficient.

In New City I have a whole area 'abandond due to lack of water', even tho it is shown as watered and I have much more water than I use...

If an area is cut off from water it abandons quite quickly, even though it's watered now it may take a while for sims to move back into the abandoned buildings. Pipes also start to reduce in water radius before your water usage has reached the water capacity. It's a pain that.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 30 December 2010 - 19:45.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#225 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 19:48

I checked everything. It never was unwatered, and the pipe runs right in front of that area...

22 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 22 guests, 0 anonymous users