CoD: Black Ops announced

963 replies to this topic

#351 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:53

View PostStinger, on 26 Oct 2010, 12:03, said:

Regarding shotguns: Olin isn't going to talk about things like "hitlock modifiers" (I don't even know what this is and I don't think I want to :/)

What have you done? You do realise that you've doomed us all to a huge wall of text from Tom now, don't you? 8D

As for the potential of this game, I am going to probably hold my tongue now on it. I don't like the sounds and I think it shouldn't have been made at this stage, but I will no doubt end up getting it (if only to avoid a certain person nagging me to 8D ) just to have a few more games with you lot (you know who you are). Whatever some random Twatterer comes out with now isn't going to make much difference.

Edited by Wizard, 26 October 2010 - 12:53.

#352 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 15:06

View PostStinger, on 26 Oct 2010, 13:03, said:

Regarding reports: This is a console "feature". I think it's stupid and a waste of time. How many times does a n00b cry cheat when you best them? How can someone possibly spend their time wading through these reports (and you can be sure that there'll be a lot of them)? I don't see this as something Treyarch will be doing six months from now.
With the amount of times I get called a cheater, some "report" thingy that doesn't seem like it's based on security checks by the game but some dumbarses at Treyarch wading through 3rd person footage which doesn't seem like it would be particularly informative naturally lights the red lights for me. Bad enough to get kicked by moronic server admins, let alone this :/ .

Regarding shotguns: Olin isn't going to talk about things like "hitlock modifiers" (I don't even know what this is and I don't think I want to 8D) on Twatter. He is answering people simply, in a way that can be easily understood.
My point is that it's likely he doesn't know what he's talking about, since he's not only being extremely vague, but also says something that is very unlikely to be true. I can't know for sure until I see the game files but it would be very unlikely that he's right.

As for the changes to sniping, I am glad they have nerfed quickscoping. It's stupid when you see snipers running around getting into close quarters combat with their weapons. The lone wolf mentality that runs in CoD games is exacerbated by selfish n00bs who go 4/15 in a Domination game while forgoing objectives and attempting to pull off trick shots for their ZOMG 1337 YouTube montage that paints a one-sided picture. It's gotten so bad that CoD players now use the word "hardscoping" to describe legitimate sniping. 8D
I agree that quickscoping is rather irritating and that it should be combated, but I know the system they've put into place, and I've worked with it before. What I'm saying is is that it DOESN'T really combat the quickscoping you refer to as much as you would think, and worse, interferes with "legitimate" sniping a lot MORE than with quickscoping. In relative terms, it actually encourages quickscoping.

Of course many of these things you'd have to see in practice in BO but I've seen these things before in CoD 4 and other shooters and I'm just saying that beforehand I have my doubts on how they handled things.

That's not saying I'm not looking forward to the game - I've preordered recently as some of you have noticed, but Treyarch will have to prove me in person it's going to be better than MW2 because so far they didn't seem to have really done anything differently or fixed any of the problems in MW2, all I'm saying.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#353 amazin

E-Studios resident XBOX360 (not computer) player

• 1483 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 23:13

quickscoping just pisses me off, i mean i know games arent meant realistic, but quickscoping is not just a realism issue. its abusing features of the game (auto aim, and decreased ADS time). snipers are meant for long range, simple as that. just like how shotguns are meant for close. There is no feature in the game that you can abuse to make shotguns useful for anything other than their intended role, which is the way it should be.

#354 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:11

View PostChyros, on 27 Oct 2010, 2:06, said:

That's not saying I'm not looking forward to the game - I've preordered recently as some of you have noticed, but Treyarch will have to prove me in person it's going to be better than MW2 because so far they didn't seem to have really done anything differently or fixed any of the problems in MW2, all I'm saying.

They got your money, dawg.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#355 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:07

View Postamazin, on 27 Oct 2010, 1:13, said:

quickscoping just pisses me off, i mean i know games arent meant realistic, but quickscoping is not just a realism issue. its abusing features of the game (auto aim, and decreased ADS time). snipers are meant for long range, simple as that. just like how shotguns are meant for close. There is no feature in the game that you can abuse to make shotguns useful for anything other than their intended role, which is the way it should be.
How about a quickscope headshot over the range of the whole map?
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#356 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:50

View PostChyros, on 27 Oct 2010, 8:07, said:

That's just you not understand the rules of the game!

Honestly, seeing a guy on the other side on the map, going into scope and sniping him within a millisecond isn't abuse, IT'S BEING GOOD!

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#357 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:10

View PostSquigPie, on 27 Oct 2010, 17:50, said:

View PostChyros, on 27 Oct 2010, 8:07, said:

Honestly, seeing a guy on the other side on the map, going into scope and sniping him within a millisecond isn't abuse, IT'S BEING GOOD!

I call those sorts of players "fags".
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#358 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:46

View PostSquigPie, on 27 Oct 2010, 7:50, said:

No, it's called being extremely lucky. I doubt that there are many (less than 1% of 1% of the top QS players out there) that can QS across the length of a whole map, on a genuinely consistant basis (better than 1 in 5 shots). Lest we forget that QS'ing is the abuse of the accuracy modifier in the game over hip shooting with a sniper rifle in order to utilise the damage afforded by the rifle over other weapons, mostly in mid to close range, where sniper rifles are supposed to be weak.

#359 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:17

View PostWizard, on 27 Oct 2010, 10:46, said:

No, it's called being extremely lucky. I doubt that there are many (less than 1% of 1% of the top QS players out there) that can QS across the length of a whole map, on a genuinely consistant basis (better than 1 in 5 shots). Lest we forget that QS'ing is the abuse of the accuracy modifier in the game over hip shooting with a sniper rifle in order to utilise the damage afforded by the rifle over other weapons, mostly in mid to close range, where sniper rifles are supposed to be weak.

But still, you can't blame the game for stuff that's pure luck, blame God, or Cthulhu or Darwin etc. for that.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#360 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:33

View PostSquigPie, on 27 Oct 2010, 10:17, said:

But still, you can't blame the game for stuff that's pure luck, blame God, or Cthulhu or Darwin etc. for that.

If it's an exploit, which is fixable, and according to Treyarch, it is, then we can blame the game.

#361 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 15:34

The changes Treyarch made will interfere with long-range sniping even more though, where sniper rifles are supposed to be good instead. See where that would lead us?

Also, it's not that much about luck, or at least, it doesn't need to be. I'll go over the 1/5 ratio but that's because I don't do it very often - it's more of a "aim precisely at someone from the hip at long range, scope in, find the target is dead in your sights and fire immediately" which boils down to a reflex action done every now and then when the opportunity arises rather than something you try every shot. I'd argue it's pure skill to be able to do so, though.

Edited by Chyros, 27 October 2010 - 15:37.

TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#362 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 16:31

May interfere with...

Nothing is certain. We don't know how useful - or not, as the case may be - snipers will be in the game.

From the videos I have seen of players sniping in Black Ops, the changes will not affect the way I play the game. If it's like CoD 4, with added lag compensation, I don't think there'll be an issue for legitimate snipers.

#363 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 17:10

It's not certain, no, but it won't be the first time I've used this sniping system, so I'm not basing this completely on theorycraft here.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#364 amazin

E-Studios resident XBOX360 (not computer) player

• 1483 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 22:11

making snipers take a second to line up will definitely NOT interfere with regular sniping (hardscoping as all the quickscope kids call it), considering regular sniping takes time and patience with the whole holding your breath mechanic and such anyways

EDIT: while lurking the BO forums for some info on guns and zombies and such, i found this fine specimen of humanity and his defense of quickscoping

i do not think the devlopers understand what is gonna happen if they try to take quickscoping out of the game... thats gonna be a crap load of people who jsut arent gonna bother playing cuz they wont be able to quickscope sure they will paly it fior awhile but once it gets boring we usally resort to quickscoping for fun now we cant do it in black ops we wil be doing it in MW2 still they say it takes no skill ummm im pretty sure holding ur scope in for 5 mins starting down a hall way hardscoping people takes alot less skill then quickscopingl...the guy JD trys to say that auto aim is involed what the hell is he talking about there is no auto aim when your quickscoping across the map. another thing im pretty sure we all know Optic nation and what there known for..making quick scoping videos there jsut as upset as we are and one of the biggest clans in the game is gonna resort to quickscoping in MW2 still

so think before you take such a big concept out of the game and ruing our fun of it, thanks

Edited by amazin, 27 October 2010 - 23:15.

#365 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:49

View Postamazin, on 28 Oct 2010, 0:11, said:

making snipers take a second to line up will definitely NOT interfere with regular sniping (hardscoping as all the quickscope kids call it), considering regular sniping takes time and patience with the whole holding your breath mechanic and such anyways

EDIT: while lurking the BO forums for some info on guns and zombies and such, i found this fine specimen of humanity and his defense of quickscoping

i do not think the devlopers understand what is gonna happen if they try to take quickscoping out of the game... thats gonna be a crap load of people who jsut arent gonna bother playing cuz they wont be able to quickscope sure they will paly it fior awhile but once it gets boring we usally resort to quickscoping for fun now we cant do it in black ops we wil be doing it in MW2 still they say it takes no skill ummm im pretty sure holding ur scope in for 5 mins starting down a hall way hardscoping people takes alot less skill then quickscopingl...the guy JD trys to say that auto aim is involed what the hell is he talking about there is no auto aim when your quickscoping across the map. another thing im pretty sure we all know Optic nation and what there known for..making quick scoping videos there jsut as upset as we are and one of the biggest clans in the game is gonna resort to quickscoping in MW2 still

so think before you take such a big concept out of the game and ruing our fun of it, thanks

Posted Image

Edited by SquigPie, 28 October 2010 - 06:55.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#366 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:53

Squig, this is the one and only time that I will warn you not to post that picture again. If you want to use 4chan do so, but keep that shit off this forum.

#367 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:43

I was replying to the fact that the guy amazin quoted obviously was trolling.

Oh, since you hate 4chan so much. Guess who invented the Angry Marines? Ya know, the guys you use as avatar and signature, which is featured IN EVERY SINGLE POST OF YOURS?!

Edited by SquigPie, 28 October 2010 - 10:46.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#368 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:47

View PostSquigPie, on 28 Oct 2010, 11:43, said:

I was replying to the fact that the guy amazin quoted obviously was trolling.

Oh, since you hate 4chan so much. Guess who invented the Angry Marines?

I am well aware who invented the Angry Marines, but I don't post random pictures of them in inappropriate topics. Your post added absolutely nothing to the discussion and was essentially a +1 post, something we don't allow here. Either contribute to a discussion, or don't take part.

#369 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:57

So what do you want me to say? "I think the guy was just trolling". Problem is, THAT'S WHAT THE IMAGE MEANT! Trollface in responce to another post means:

1. I was trolling you, haha, you nub
2. You're trolling

As a response to the other post, what I said was: "The guy is probably just trolling, don't pay attention to him."

Edited by SquigPie, 28 October 2010 - 11:00.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#370 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:06

And saying he was trolling is an appropriate response and one that is directly connected to the topic? No, not really. It was just another opportunity for you to post that picture.

If you want to continue the discussion as to what is and is not an appropriate response to topics and posts on FS then you can PM me, or any other Administrator, who will say exactly the same thing. As far as I am concerned this is the /matter.

#371 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:54

Perks leaked:

-Warlord Pro: +Start with one extra lethal and tactical grenade (except smoke).

Fuck you, Treyarch. FUCK. YOU. Just when I was having a little faith in you and all...

What does this mean?

Well, you will be able to replenish "lethal grenades" with Scavenger, n00bs will be able to throw two grenades instead of one, and since Warlord changes the number of grenades you start with, we can safely assume that will replenish the count to two when there are enough scavenger bags lying around.

It's going to be like Call of Duty 4: Grenade, Grenade.

-Flakjacket Pro makes you invulnerable to fire damage. I wonder if this includes the Flamethrower attachment as well. If so, said attachment is going to be useless.

-Ninja Pro is OP. Simple as that.

@ Chyros: It looks like they took on board your idea to reduce damageviewkick with Hardened Pro.

Edited by Stinger, 28 October 2010 - 13:21.

#372 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 13:08

Unlimited Sprint, More Grenades, Faster ADS?!

are they like trying to get some 1337 perk combo's or they are just generally twats?
Posted Image

#373 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 13:15

View PostTehKiller, on 28 Oct 2010, 14:08, said:

or they are just generally twats?

This. There is so much in there that's going to be abused.

Marathon Pro and Steady Aim Pro = n00bs running around the map knifing, with the increased recovery time from knifing that Steady Aim Pro confers.

I guaranfuckingtee you the Ballistic Knife increases the knifing range so Commando is back.

#374 Stalker

All Purpose ZH Modder

• Project Team
  • 568 posts
  • Projects: secret stuff.

Posted 28 October 2010 - 14:01

View PostStinger, on 28 Oct 2010, 15:15, said:

I guaranfuckingtee you the Ballistic Knife increases the knifing range so Commando is back.

This.

I'm not really upset because Knifers weren't such of a problem for me. But it's kind of funny cause 'No Commando' was one of their major 'features' they announced.

I don't really have a problem with the 2 nades either because TBH most noobs (in MW2) were too stupid to throw grenades. It'll probably ruin some gamemodes like HQ though.

Also I'm glad there is no way to increase explosive damage.

And Flak Jacket pro will make flamethrowers even more useless.
Posted Image

#375 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 14:07

View PostStalker, on 28 Oct 2010, 15:01, said:

Also I'm glad there is no way to increase explosive damage.

That isn't technically true as you can see that in it is possible to increase several abilities and options in the gamemode menu, one of which is explosive, although you might at least expect that if you were joining that server/players match. But like you, I'm glad that Danger Close isn't available.

31 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 31 guests, 0 anonymous users