CoD: Black Ops announced

963 replies to this topic

#226 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:12

What updates to the engine would you like to see? IW4.0 (MW2's engine) supports streaming textures, which allows the developers to create maps on a larger scale, like those seen in the singleplayer.

IW4.0 also features a limited amount of environmental destruction that does not impact on gameplay, which I would argue is a good thing. Also, strictly speaking, multiplayer maps are best kept small as they suit CoD's fast and fluid gunplay (we don't want Battlefield in our CoD, do we?). If it's not broken, why fix it?

From the videos, Black Ops appears to have the "feel" of MW and MW2. I have a good feeling about this game and I eagerly await its release. MW2 is ruined by cheaters and horrible lag as well as horrendous weapon balance. Call me shallow, but this looks like the new best thing... :D

Edited by Stinger, 12 September 2010 - 15:45.

#227 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:50

i think the engine's fine as it is. they can always up the graphics and performance but at it's core it handles the gameplay perfectly and doesn't immediately need any more upgrades.
it's time to wake up

#228 Wanderer

Lurking around since 2005

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:07

http://pc.ign.com/ar.../1119736p1.html

interesting reading...

#229 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:29

That's rather crappy. If they'd only impose this limit on ranked servers it would be acceptable in some way, but why also unranked servers? Some stupid piracy reason imposed by Activision, naturally.
Posted Image

#230 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:32

Well, GameServers, a I know from experience, IS a very respectable provider, but I'm still skeptical on some points. First of all, GameServers isn't small, but I'm not sure if it can handle the full volume of a Call of Duty game suddenly. Second, and much more worryingly, the servers are still based on VAC, which doesn't do jack shit. Third, having admins is only as good as the admins themselves are. With VACs inevitable flood of hackers, being able to boot someone yourself is of course great, but with a flood of hackers comes a lot of suspicion, and if there was a kick or ban option in MW2 I probably would've been needlessly booted several dozen times :D . So really, if you want it done well, you need your own server - you can't rely on stuff like Punkbuster anymore here.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#231 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5847 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:56

View PostChyros, on 12 Sep 2010, 12:32, said:

Well, GameServers, a I know from experience, IS a very respectable provider, but I'm still skeptical on some points. First of all, GameServers isn't small, but I'm not sure if it can handle the full volume of a Call of Duty game suddenly. Second, and much more worryingly, the servers are still based on VAC, which doesn't do jack shit. Third, having admins is only as good as the admins themselves are. With VACs inevitable flood of hackers, being able to boot someone yourself is of course great, but with a flood of hackers comes a lot of suspicion, and if there was a kick or ban option in MW2 I probably would've been needlessly booted several dozen times :P . So really, if you want it done well, you need your own server - you can't rely on stuff like Punkbuster anymore here.

From my experience VAC works fine in TF2 (i have met only a handful of hackers in the 600 hours i have spent on that game), i think it's the dev's implementation of VAC in MW2 that was rubbish. Unless there really are that many more hackers in MW2. I guess in a game like MW2 where winning and leveling up is everything, hackers are more likely to be prominent, no real data to back that up though :D

I won't be getting this game; i don't think i will ever get a COD game that has loads of killstreaks in it, i find they break the whole idea of a FPS. Such a shame, because some of the parts i really like, such as the customization. On the topic of customization, it's really weird they haven't made a character creation system, it seems like the game would benefit a lot from a system of custom characters.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#232 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 13:02

GS will only be providing dedicated, private servers, you can play on Trey's servers to start, as I suppose most will do. So there should be enough capacity to go around, given the fan base of CoD these days, I suspect that there will be less demand for them than in say BF:BC2 etc. They have the resources at their disposal to deal with it. It would be the end of them as a provider if they didn't. They are a good company, but I know from the feedback I have seen from paying for 3 of their servers now, they aren't that popular down under. I've seen some terrible criticism from their Australian clients.

The option for dedis does appeal to me and I will hold my hand up and say this is most certainly one part of the games development they have got spot on.

#233 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 13:27

View PostTheDR, on 12 Sep 2010, 14:56, said:

View PostChyros, on 12 Sep 2010, 12:32, said:

Well, GameServers, a I know from experience, IS a very respectable provider, but I'm still skeptical on some points. First of all, GameServers isn't small, but I'm not sure if it can handle the full volume of a Call of Duty game suddenly. Second, and much more worryingly, the servers are still based on VAC, which doesn't do jack shit. Third, having admins is only as good as the admins themselves are. With VACs inevitable flood of hackers, being able to boot someone yourself is of course great, but with a flood of hackers comes a lot of suspicion, and if there was a kick or ban option in MW2 I probably would've been needlessly booted several dozen times :P . So really, if you want it done well, you need your own server - you can't rely on stuff like Punkbuster anymore here.

From my experience VAC works fine in TF2 (i have met only a handful of hackers in the 600 hours i have spent on that game), i think it's the dev's implementation of VAC in MW2 that was rubbish. Unless there really are that many more hackers in MW2. I guess in a game like MW2 where winning and leveling up is everything, hackers are more likely to be prominent, no real data to back that up though :D
Hackers in MW2 are very rampant, you will encounter one or more in one in every three games, I'm estimating. VAC doesn't work for it because 1) it never works on the spot; it was designed to wait for a couple of weeks and lure hackers into a false sense of security, but this does still mean the hacker won't be stopped from ruining your particular game, and 2) because there is a standalone application that works as a data extrapolator for MW2 which simply uses a Windows Vista screen overlay to display the positions of the enemies that it calculates from the game's output files, and 3) VAC Chaos will disable VAC anyway so its presence doesn't matter at all. Really, these factors could apply to any game you put VAC in, not just MW2. It's easier to do it for other games that are based on the same engine though, like BO.

I won't be getting this game; i don't think i will ever get a COD game that has loads of killstreaks in it, i find they break the whole idea of a FPS.
If you don't like killstreaks, you don't have to withhold from buying it altogether - MW2 features a new set of gametypes that are free from killstreaks, for example, and I'm guessing BO will pick up on that :xD: . In fact, the Wager Matches won't feature them, come to think of it.

View PostWizard, on 12 Sep 2010, 15:02, said:

The option for dedis does appeal to me
Well, to me too, that's for sure, it's just that even dedis have their disadvantages IMO, even though they are still far superior to the matchmaking system IW yoinked off the consoles.

Edited by Chyros, 12 September 2010 - 13:28.

TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#234 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 14:23

View PostChyros, on 12 Sep 2010, 14:32, said:

Well, GameServers, a I know from experience, IS a very respectable provider, but I'm still skeptical on some points. First of all, GameServers isn't small, but I'm not sure if it can handle the full volume of a Call of Duty game suddenly. Second, and much more worryingly, the servers are still based on VAC, which doesn't do jack shit. Third, having admins is only as good as the admins themselves are. With VACs inevitable flood of hackers, being able to boot someone yourself is of course great, but with a flood of hackers comes a lot of suspicion, and if there was a kick or ban option in MW2 I probably would've been needlessly booted several dozen times :D . So really, if you want it done well, you need your own server - you can't rely on stuff like Punkbuster anymore here.

Punkbuster's real good trait is how good it is if you combine it with active admins. Punkbuster screenshots judged by admins > most hackers out there.

Hacking in games is just like hacking the games themselves in piracy. Automated protection technology will always be cracked, but in conjunction with active admin monitoring stuff like Punkbuster does really work.
Posted Image

#235 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 15:39

View PostShirou, on 12 Sep 2010, 16:23, said:

View PostChyros, on 12 Sep 2010, 14:32, said:

Punkbuster's real good trait is how good it is if you combine it with active admins. Punkbuster screenshots judged by admins > most hackers out there.

Hacking in games is just like hacking the games themselves in piracy. Automated protection technology will always be cracked, but in conjunction with active admin monitoring stuff like Punkbuster does really work.
No, I agree, Punkbuster is great, and I wish it had Punkbuster instead of VAC. In retrospect I see my words are a bit misleading :P .
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#236 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 17 September 2010 - 00:10

The madness continues with a limited edition call of duty Jeep

Posted Image

Posted Image

#237 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 00:19

That has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

Posted Image

#238 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:38

This is an audacious move to get even more advertising and raise awareness for the upcoming game.

Activision has its thinking cap on. EA isn't clever enough to come up with something like this.

Edited by Stinger, 17 September 2010 - 13:52.

#239 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5847 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:41

View PostStinger, on 17 Sep 2010, 2:38, said:

This is an audacious move to get even more advertising and raise awareness for the upcoming game.

Activision has its thinking cap on. EA aren't clever enough to come up with something like this.

This seems more like Jeep riding on the back of Call of Duty.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#240 Mbob61

I may or may not be iron man!

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:43

View PostAlias, on 17 Sep 2010, 1:19, said:

^ This. Definitely this!

Mike
Thanks to Pav3d for the awesome sigs
Posted Image
Posted Image

#241 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:46

View PostTheDR, on 17 Sep 2010, 2:41, said:

View PostStinger, on 17 Sep 2010, 2:38, said:

Activision has its thinking cap on. EA aren't clever enough to come up with something like this.

This seems more like Jeep riding on the back of Call of Duty.

Possible. It's probably a case of one scratching the other's back, although I think Activision come off better for it.

As for the jeep itself, I don't think the special edition will have anything more than a few adornments and decals.

#242 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:56

There's always people who want it, no matter what it is :P . I think even those jeeps will find a home somewhere. Like Stinger says, it's the publicity that's the real treat to Activision here though.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#243 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:08

You don't think that in today's age of "understanding of the media", that this comes across as just lame? :P

#244 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:19

View PostWizard, on 17 Sep 2010, 10:08, said:

You don't think that in today's age of "understanding of the media", that this comes across as just lame? :P
Perhaps, but I'd say that's not really relevant. It's still publicity for the game.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#245 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:56

View PostMbob61, on 17 Sep 2010, 3:43, said:

^ This. Definitely this!

Mike

Why, exactly? Its just a publicity stunt, and a unique new one, nothing wrong with that. Pretty awesome if you ask me.
Posted Image

#246 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:04

View PostShirou, on 17 Sep 2010, 11:56, said:

View PostMbob61, on 17 Sep 2010, 3:43, said:

^ This. Definitely this!

Mike

Why, exactly? Its just a publicity stunt, and a unique new one, nothing wrong with that. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

It's unique to the game industry, but not to PR in general. And it's dumb because all the voices you hear in game are traditionally those of people who can't shave yet, let alone drive, so why use a $28,000 jeep (and a fucking bad one at that) to tie up with your $50 game, designed for, let's be honest about this, teenagers!! :P

Edited by Wizard, 17 September 2010 - 11:05.

#247 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:16

Tbh it's not worse than the Bumblebee edition for the Camaro to promote the Bayformers
Posted Image

#248 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:25

Well it is worse. Bayformers was about robots that transform into cars. Bumblebee was given a facelift for the movie so they could link it in. Granted it was money grabbing, but it wasn't totally unrelated. BO is a First Person Shoot 'em up that use guns (derp) and grenades etc., and has bugger all to do with a Jeep.... You could argue that the BO guys drive around in it, but then you could say that they use Gilette razors as well.......

#249 Stalker

All Purpose ZH Modder

• Project Team
  • 568 posts
  • Projects: secret stuff.

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:30

Quite a clever marketing strategy by activision.

A good/easy way for both companys to get CoD gamers interested in Jeeps and Jeep drivers interested in CoD.

It's that simple imho.
I doubt there are fanatic CoD players who would buy this but I also doubt it will be produced in large numbers. It's a marketing stunt, nothing more. And imho a good/efficient one.
Posted Image

#250 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 00:34

Sharpshooter:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GKW0lW7orug

One in the Chamber:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV79X2MyH6I...feature=related

Camos and Theatre Mode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8UqL_r40GY...feature=related

Gun Game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blwBvnd1dVo...feature=related

ACOGs are going to be epic fail. The one on the M60 adds extra recoil and muzzle flash. Why add an attachment and doom it with these kinds of penalties?

Edited by Stinger, 18 September 2010 - 00:54.

28 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 28 guests, 0 anonymous users