Looking for new Headphones

30 replies to this topic

#1 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 18:39

Basically, i really love my Sennheiser cans that i bought for about £20 a year ago, but the problem is you can't wear them for too long in the summer before your ears set on fire.

What i need is a new pair of headphones which aren't cans and i was wondering if anyone on here could help :P
Price should be around £20-£40, unless someone has a really good reason for me to increase the price.

Thanks for reading.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#2 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 18:47

If you want the best for summer, I'd suggest in-ear headphone - they're often very light, and yet don't bleed sound like normal headphones would. Only problem with in-ears is that they would probably set you back more around the £50-60 mark for a decent pair, but there are ones that come into your price range too.

Tbh I've been using Apple in-ear headphones for almost a year now, and they're the best £50 I've spent on headphones in a long time. Tbh though, anything from this list: http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop...mp;s=topSellers would be a good choice, although buy elsewhere to get a better deal :P

*Waits for Raptor's response*
For there can be no death without life.

#3 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 20:05

View PostAJ, on 15 May 2010, 2:47, said:

*Waits for Raptor's response*

Being the audiophile he is, maybe he'll recommend the AD1000RPM or TF2 10 :P
Posted Image

#4 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 14 May 2010 - 20:08

Klipsch Image S4:
Posted Image

Simply the best low cost in-ear headphones on the market. Equal in price to 20 pounds more than those Apple cans that AJ is raving about and blows them clear out of the water for clarity.

Also for a lower cost, you could try out the Radius Atomic Bass:
Posted Image

You should be able to nab them for half the price of the Klipsch phones.

Also if you don't mind something bigger, the Koss PortaPros will never let you down:
Posted Image
But they are an open design so they let sound out. Still they are a fantastic pair for around 20 pounds.

Edited by Scope, 14 May 2010 - 20:28.

Posted Image

#5 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects: Spam

Posted 14 May 2010 - 20:35

View PostScope, on 14 May 2010, 21:08, said:

Klipsch Image S4:
Posted Image

Simply the best low cost in-ear headphones on the market. Equal in price to 20 pounds more than those Apple cans that AJ is raving about and blows them clear out of the water for clarity.

Also for a lower cost, you could try out the Radius Atomic Bass:
Posted Image

You should be able to nab them for half the price of the Klipsch phones.

Also if you don't mind something bigger, the Koss PortaPros will never let you down:
Posted Image
But they are an open design so they let sound out. Still they are a fantastic pair for around 20 pounds.

**Claps**

Well said.

Also maybe add Head Direct RE0 if you have $79USD and its the best listed in this thread.
Normally $200+
http://www.head-dire...detail.php?p=38

Edited by ΓΛPTΘΓ, 14 May 2010 - 20:38.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

19:44 - Chyros: I'm very harmless

#6 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 20:38

FATAL1TY

That is all.

EDIT, for your conveneince :P
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Fatal1ty-...9562&sr=8-1

Edited by W!, 14 May 2010 - 20:39.

Posted Image

#7 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 14 May 2010 - 20:41

View PostW!, on 14 May 2010, 23:38, said:

FATAL1TY

That is all.

EDIT, for your conveneince :P
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Fatal1ty-...9562&sr=8-1

If you read the first post, you would have noticed that big headphones like his Sennheisers make his ears hot. Plus they don't look too portable those Creatives.
Posted Image

#8 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 20:44

LOL... Warbzy...

Klipsch Image S4 £59.98 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Klipsch-IMAGE-S4-I...9742&sr=8-1

Head-Direct RE0 £59.99 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Head-Direct-RE0-In...766&sr=8-19

SoundMAGIC PL30 £33.99 http://www.amazon.co.uk/SoundMAGIC-PL30-Ea...9742&sr=8-9

Highly recommend RE0.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#9 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 14 May 2010 - 20:51

Creative EP-630, they're supposed to have an excellent sound quality, they're cheap (can be found at Amazon.fr for around 15-20€) and that's what everybody on an audiophiles community recommended me...

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#10 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 21:29

View PostArgetlam, on 14 May 2010, 21:51, said:

Creative EP-630, they're supposed to have an excellent sound quality, they're cheap (can be found at Amazon.fr for around 15-20€) and that's what everybody on an audiophiles community recommended me...

Ooo, they look great and the price is very good :P
Unless someone comes up for a good reason not to buy them, il be getting them in the next few days.

Thanks for the recommendations guys.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#11 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 21:36

Bonus linky : TestFreaks rating center :P

EDIT : Just a thing about these earphones, their cable is not quite resistant, if you're a barbarian who doesn't take care of his stuff, you'll probably not make them last more than 3 months, and this model also tends to start deteriorating after 1 year of loyal services...

Edited by Argetlam, 14 May 2010 - 21:45.

#12 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 21:50

or you could go for Creative EP-830, which according to that handy little site, is rated even higher.

I have a pair that came with my Creative Zen X-Fi and can confirm that they have top notch audio quality. I personally don't use them because I dislike in-ear headphones because they usually fall out (especially when riding my bike) and block out too much surrounding sound (ordinarily a good thing, but I need to be able to hear on my bike).

I use a pair of Creative EP-570 clip on headphones. Great sound quality, with excellent bass and very comfortable to wear, even for extended periods of time. The only downside to them is that they are rather heavy.

EDIT: 8.7 :P

Edited by Bob, 14 May 2010 - 21:53.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#13 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 21:56

View PostBob, on 14 May 2010, 22:50, said:

or you could go for Creative EP-830, which according to that handy little site, is rated even higher.

I have a pair that came with my Creative Zen X-Fi and can confirm that they have top notch audio quality. I personally don't use them because I dislike in-ear headphones because they usually fall out (especially when riding my bike) and block out too much surrounding sound (ordinarily a good thing, but I need to be able to hear on my bike).

I use a pair of Creative EP-570 clip on headphones. Great sound quality, with excellent bass and very comfortable to wear, even for extended periods of time. The only downside to them is that they are rather heavy.

EDIT: 8.7 :P

Ooo, they look even better Bob, thanks.

However, i won't be doing any bike riding soon, so the in-ear ones will do fine.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#14 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 22:52

Oh dear... They do sound so bad compare to something just slightly more expensive.

Bloated bass and no detail, Argetlam if you go to Head-Fi you will NEVER get recommended them.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#15 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 22:58

View PostΓΛPTΘΓ, on 14 May 2010, 23:52, said:

Oh dear... They do sound so bad compare to something just slightly more expensive.

Bloated bass and no detail, Argetlam if you go to Head-Fi you will NEVER get recommended them.

You're forgetting that most people out there don't need a super highly expensive earphone... Heck I'm sticking to my genuine Samsung ones, and I'm not planning to swap them.

@Bob : Creative EP-830 didn't get a very good review at GMP3 (French specialized website), they're even recommending the EP-630 over it. Also it may have a higher rating on Testfreaks, but don't forget that they have been reviewed by 4 pros only :P

#16 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 23:02

The what do you suggest thats slightly more?
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#17 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 00:08

My experience with Creative is that they shipped my Zen with terrible headphones. I seriously expected more from them on that part. I can't say anything about the custom headphones. I have always used normal Sennheiser headphones (dislike in ear) or neckband device, and they never let me down.

Thats along the lines of something like this, the Sennheiser PMX60. Cheap but good.

Posted Image

Unlike with cheap versions of these things, I have found that unless you wear them for more than two hours straight, they will not make the back of your ear go on fire when you are not used to them. Because I avoid in-ear this is my best carryable option to get a good bass.

Edited by Trivmvirate, 15 May 2010 - 00:11.

Posted Image

#18 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:12

View PostTheDR, on 15 May 2010, 0:02, said:

The what do you suggest thats slightly more?

The PL30 is great for its price, RE0 is just really really good value. (considering it used to sell for $200)

View PostArgetlam, on 14 May 2010, 23:58, said:

[color="#2eb0b2"]You're forgetting that most people out there don't need a super highly expensive earphone... Heck I'm sticking to my genuine Samsung ones, and I'm not planning to swap them.

Read my recommendation, are they super highly expensive? I think not.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#19 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:16

I never get hot ears, and I have an afro and I live in Australia, AND use these:
Posted Image

Which mind you, are massive. And which I'd also recommend over anything posted in this thread for computer-based audio, if you're willing to push it to 100 quid. They are open so it'll be slightly less hot then full closed, but not by much. But even so, over summer just passed (as in December to February) where it usually gets ~25-35 degrees with peaks at 40 degrees never once did I have to remove my headphones due to heat.
If you're not willing for that, I'm backing the RE0. The extra money IS worth it. You'll understand once you try them. If you are really feeling that tightarse I'm backing the Portapro, but the RE0 really are worth the 60 quid.

View PostArgetlam, on 15 May 2010, 8:58, said:

You're forgetting that most people out there don't need a super highly expensive earphone... Heck I'm sticking to my genuine Samsung ones, and I'm not planning to swap them.
I wouldn't call 50 quid absurdly expensive. I paid 220 AUD for mine when I bought them (~140-150 pounds/190 USD) and they're worth every cent. Audio is probably the most forgotten part of the computing experience. You wouldn't use onboard graphics to play games, why would you use shitty headphones to listen to music (or play games for that matter)? Full open headphones such as the ones I use really expand your gaming experience, especially in the case of FPS. Remember kids, true surround sound comes in two channels!

@Bob : Creative EP-830 didn't get a very good review at GMP3 (French specialized website), they're even recommending the EP-630 over it. Also it may have a higher rating on Testfreaks, but don't forget that they have been reviewed by 4 pros only :P
I would rather go to a dedicated Headphone site over a generic hardware one. Audio is the one component where it is really necessary to get a proper opinion. Seeing that that site rates the absurdly overpriced CX400s at 8.8 something is wrong. You don't ask a nurse to diagnose your cancer, you get a doctor.

Edited by Alias, 15 May 2010 - 01:51.

Posted Image

#20 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:13

I doubt he wanted them for indoors, AD700 is great inside pretty useless outside. Outside I would rather stick to my IEMs thanks.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#21 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:15

He didn't mention what they were for, so I presumed indoors.

In that case it's easily RE0 then.

Posted Image

#22 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:22

As a owner of a pair of AD series headphones, I can surely tell that they are MASSIVE, extremely comfortable, much cooler than closed headphone but leak quite a bit of sound.

Now, get Waris. I am pretty sure he is gonna say the same too.

Indoor: AD700
Outside: RE0
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

#23 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:46

Well, Raptor is correct, they are for outdoors, mainly walking around to and from college/work. I have a set of headphones with a Mic for indoors.
RE0 are far too expensive for me, I'm not too fussed about the best quality in the world as I'd be fine with just decent quality, price is the main deal breaker.

There has to be a set of headphones for around £30 that are mid range and durable. Thanks for making suggestions so far though, if only i had the money :P
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#24 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:52

If you're that poor, then get either the:

Koss Portapro
or
Koss KSC75

Lifetime warranty, and they have a godly reputation (both use the same speaker driver, so they'll sound practically the same, the Portapro would sport a little more bass due to the pressure put on the cups by the headband). The SQ is far, far above the price, as long was you don't mind skipping buds or canals completely. Probably one of the greats of the "price-to-quality" ratio along with the RE0, et al.

Edited by Alias, 15 May 2010 - 08:56.

Posted Image

#25 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:04

View PostAlias, on 15 May 2010, 2:16, said:

I wouldn't call 50 quid absurdly expensive. I paid 220 AUD for mine when I bought them (~140-150 pounds/190 USD) and they're worth every cent. Audio is probably the most forgotten part of the computing experience. You wouldn't use onboard graphics to play games, why would you use shitty headphones to listen to music (or play games for that matter)? Full open headphones such as the ones I use really expand your gaming experience, especially in the case of FPS. Remember kids, true surround sound comes in two channels!

50$ is what I call an abusive price for a pair of headphones. 20$ is the maximum I could put in such a thing. I enjoy listening to my music with those genuine Samsung earphones, and even though I already noticed the difference of quality between them and the pro headphones, that still doesn't justify such prices.

View PostAlias, on 15 May 2010, 2:16, said:

I would rather go to a dedicated Headphone site over a generic hardware one. Audio is the one component where it is really necessary to get a proper opinion. Seeing that that site rates the absurdly overpriced CX400s at 8.8 something is wrong. You don't ask a nurse to diagnose your cancer, you get a doctor.

Yeah well that GMP3 site I was talking about is in fact a specialized website. Testfreaks link was just to show him the normal users reviews. (You know, those guys who represent 90% of the planet and who find it crazy to put 200 bucks on a silly headphone, just like me)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users