3 ways to tell if your a RTS noob

93 replies to this topic

#1 Zhao

That pro guy.

• Project Team
  • 619 posts
  • Projects: Situation Zero

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:41

i Thought this article was rather enjoyable.
Then again it can also be the biggest punch in the face :sly:
http://www.gamereplays.org/portals.php?sho...ure-an-rts-noob

What do you think of it?

Edited by Aaron, 03 June 2010 - 11:41.

#2 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:48

View PostAaron, on 3 Jun 2010, 12:41, said:

i Thought this article was rather enjoyable.
Then again it can also be the biggest punch in the face |8
http://www.gamereplays.org/portals.php?sho...ure-an-rts-noob

What do you think of it?

I don't complain about being rushed, but I do think its lame. Why? Well say the game has 3 tiers, I want a match in which all those units can come into play. I don't want to just play with T1 units. Your essentially not getting the full experience the game offers, and thats why I dislike rushers.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:48

Funny but true.

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#4 Zhao

That pro guy.

• Project Team
  • 619 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:49

I'd say rushing does not totaly bomb the game , If you can't stop the rush a simple 2 or 3 unit rush, you don't deserve quite much tbh.

And honestly any good RTS match I've played included rushing and we all managed to tier up and have fun with those units , rushing at least from ZHs point is utterly easy to stop.

Edited by Aaron, 03 June 2010 - 11:52.

#5 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:51

Funny but true.

Edit: wtf just happened here?

Edited by Major Fuckup, 03 June 2010 - 11:52.

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#6 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:30

Article is true enough, nothing new really |8

Rushing is a necessary evil, I fking hate the thing, but you have to do it/put up with it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:52

View PostAaron, on 3 Jun 2010, 12:49, said:

I'd say rushing does not totaly bomb the game , If you can't stop the rush a simple 2 or 3 unit rush, you don't deserve quite much tbh.

And honestly any good RTS match I've played included rushing and we all managed to tier up and have fun with those units , rushing at least from ZHs point is utterly easy to stop.

I can hold off a simple rush, but I don't play ZH. I prefer games with no rushing, thats probably why I tended to play DoW with FS people, although I also played it with randoms online for a short period.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 13:05

I appreciate the Art of Turtling. Condemn any form of rushing at all...

Edited by Destiny, 03 June 2010 - 13:06.

Posted Image

#9 Zhao

That pro guy.

• Project Team
  • 619 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 13:23

Nowadays i generaly do turtle , i simply enjoy it and its a easy way to stop rushes of all kinds , but still ... I think rushing needs to stay.

#10 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 03 June 2010 - 13:29

I rush only against rushers, in other words, I prepare a rush squad and leave it in the middle of the map, using it only if my enemy rushes |8
I don't really like those who do it though, I prefer long battles when I'm playing RTSes

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#11 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 13:44

View PostAaron, on 3 Jun 2010, 14:23, said:

Nowadays i generaly do turtle , i simply enjoy it and its a easy way to stop rushes of all kinds , but still ... I think rushing needs to stay.

Which makes you a noob, right?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 03 June 2010 - 13:44

Rushing is basically just attacking early to put some pressure on your enemy. What's so wrong with that? A rush of a few units will only defeat an opponent if there's a considerable skill gap, at which point you would still lose anyway.

#13 Zhao

That pro guy.

• Project Team
  • 619 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 13:50

No because when i bunker i actually EXPAND not sit in my base make it pretty and unproductive

#14 n5p29

Lurker

• Project Leader
  • 1417 posts
  • Projects: NProject Mod, Recolonize, Tidal Wars

Posted 03 June 2010 - 13:51

agree with the article.

about rushing, it's still necessary strategy. risky fast attack tactic that can be a success putting enemy in pressure or maybe a failure that cripples your economy.
but sometime rushes can kill the fun (like massed rushes, zergling rush?). it's like the rusher really want to end the match quickly.

#15 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 14:17

Subject is old. Gamereplays has had tons of threads and articles from advanced players about this.

Its a waste of time imo.
Posted Image

#16 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 03 June 2010 - 14:38

This is a bullshit article written by a rushfag (yes, I'm a turtler and I don't like rushers |8).
Posted Image

#17 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 14:46

How is it a 'bullshit' article?

If you can't hold off a rush, you deserve to lose. Just like if you cannot break a turtle, you deserve to lose.

They're both part of the game. Deal with it.

Posted Image

#18 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 03 June 2010 - 15:22

What I understand from this article is only 1 fact: the writer hates turtlers and finds this the best way to make them look silly. Both rushing and turtling are legal tactics in an RTS, and each type frowns at the other type's tactics. Rushers hate turtlers for turtling in, turtlers hate rushers for attacking early. It will never change.

Edited by Dutchygamer, 03 June 2010 - 15:22.

Posted Image

#19 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 03 June 2010 - 15:55

View PostIon Cannon!, on 3 Jun 2010, 12:48, said:

I don't complain about being rushed, but I do think its lame. Why? Well say the game has 3 tiers, I want a match in which all those units can come into play. I don't want to just play with T1 units. Your essentially not getting the full experience the game offers, and thats why I dislike rushers.

The problem is that in "no rush" games, people tend to be given enough time to tech straight to T3 before anyone is "allowed" to attack - this defeats the point of having tiers as well. In a proper game, people start out fighting with T1 units (in what would generally be a "rush" - the only difference being that both players expect it and thus don't whine about it, or get caught unprepared and get defeated in 2 minutes), then upgrade tiers when the money can be spared.

#20 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 16:50

The most pro gamers are use rush tactics, because they're use both mouse and key board(with hot keys) and so fast type.

It's not easy break with rush tactic for beginners.

#21 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 17:01

View PostRich19, on 3 Jun 2010, 16:55, said:

View PostIon Cannon!, on 3 Jun 2010, 12:48, said:

The problem is that in "no rush" games, people tend to be given enough time to tech straight to T3 before anyone is "allowed" to attack - this defeats the point of having tiers as well. In a proper game, people start out fighting with T1 units (in what would generally be a "rush" - the only difference being that both players expect it and thus don't whine about it, or get caught unprepared and get defeated in 2 minutes), then upgrade tiers when the money can be spared.

The only RTS I have played online recently - last 5 years - has been DoW. But theres no real rushing or turtling in that game. Unless you sacrifice getting up a base for a larger attack squad, which would be the rush, but it rarely / ever works so nobody does it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 18:38

i think this guys argument that rushing IS real time strategy flawed to say the least. i think proper control of available units is a far more important factor and much better shows a players true "skill".
it's time to wake up

#23 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 21:32

If two good rushing players face each other a game is rarely finished in just 2 minutes. That is just when the skill difference is too obvious. Otherwise the two factors counter each other and can come for extremely interesting games. (remembers his match ups with Stinger, Revan and Alias back in the dayz)

In any way if you face an opponent used to rushing and he decides not to and build his base for once, 19 out of 20 he will still be much faster and much more effective than you in building up his base, leaving you dead anyway only with a lot more time wasted.
Posted Image

#24 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 03 June 2010 - 23:08

Depends on the game in question really. I think raiding is far more effective than rushing in a game like Rise of Nations or DoW. I myself find turtling boring. Building a fortress puts me off, and those who bunker in just mean I'll have to make a more specialized force. As for rushing, I'd say fair game since you should be able to defend yourself from a rush. If you decide not to counter rush though, the game can extend. Problem is in ZH, the one who rushes will slowly make his money back whereas the one who got rushed is basically rebuilding his forces so is at a disadvantage. This is less of an issue in games like DoW or RoN I find.
Posted Image

#25 Kris

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 3825 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 23:32

I've read the article and i agree on all of them |8

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users