Custom maps on the FS TF2 server.

22 replies to this topic

Poll: Custom maps (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we add them?

1. Yes, add them (8 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. No, stock only (3 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. I don't use the server (null vote) (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote

#1 Slye_Fox

FOXTec Leader

• Project Leader
  • 2351 posts
  • Projects: CnC: Condition Red, Sigma Invasion, Armoured Sky: Ethereal Dawn

Posted 12 October 2010 - 15:12

This a poll to decide if custom maps are added to the FS server.
I request that only people who use the server actually vote.
Also, you may leave a comment if you wish.
Posted Image

#2 Amdrial

Naval Wrenchineer

• Project Leader
  • 3047 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 15:14

I myself would rather have stock maps on the server only. People have already reasoned that a custom map discourages people to join, and I'll stand with that opinion.
Posted Image
The above signature was made by TheDR.
Posted Image

#3 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 15:14

I would certainly like to see pl_frontier return again. Perhaps we could also add prophunt and dodgeball maps but that seems like a better idea for specific days only. For example a 'dodgeball day' once each week.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#4 Kaido

The one who screams.

• Member Test
  • 898 posts
  • Projects: Nothin'

Posted 12 October 2010 - 15:15

Depends on the maps of course, and how we vote for a map. But otherwise I'd like to have few non-stock maps.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Enthusiasm

Visitor

• 27 posts
  • Projects: Zero. None. Love. Nothing. Sad.

Posted 12 October 2010 - 15:26

YES! Give me Lazytown! As long as there's voting I don't see a problem with it.
NZXT Hush :|: GTX 260 :|: Corsair TX650 :|: Corsair 2*2GB :|: Asus P5Q-E :|: E8400 :|: WD Blue 320GB+640GB :|: Syncmaster 2493HM :|: Razer Lycosa :|: Qpad 5K :|: Qpad CT Large 1.5mm :|: Sennheiser PC 350 :|: Xbox 360

Steam ID :|: Showcase 2008 Q4 :|: Desktop

#6 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 15:49

If you can fix the literally retarded (well true definition of retardation is slowing down) download speed then I wouldnt mind customs

Edited by TehKiller, 12 October 2010 - 15:50.

Posted Image

#7 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 16:36

TehKiller, on 12 Oct 2010, 16:49, said:

If you can fix the literally retarded (well true definition of retardation is slowing down) download speed then I wouldnt mind customs

No, we can't unfortunately.

Edited by TheDR, 12 October 2010 - 16:37.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#8 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 12 October 2010 - 16:39

Personally I'm for new maps being added, however I do have some reserve as to which maps are added. Certain maps don't have the same sort of "feel" you get from the official maps. Yes, I understand that official maps are that way for a reason, it shouldn't be too difficult to find maps that have the same quality appearance.

Picking up on what Code said, dedicated maps like the one for dodgeball may not be such a bad idea. It's something different and may actually attract more players than it would repel.
Posted Image

#9 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 12 October 2010 - 18:32

TheDR, on 12 Oct 2010, 17:36, said:

You know my opinion on the subjet, either you can speed up the dl, or it's a big nope.
However, Codecat's suggestion (especially for the dodgeball maps) is, IMO, a great idea!

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#10 Mr Pixel

• 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 20:39

There, finally registered to the forums :P

In my opinion, yes, we should defiantly add custom maps to the server. There is a huge amount of good maps we're missing by just playing the officials, and a lot of them add very much to the game (such as the new Dogdeball gametype).

However, I certainly think the same way as TehKiller and CJ: slow download times are messing it up for many us. This can obviously not be fixed for random users of the server, but for us Fallout members, there might be a solution: Map packs.

If we add custom maps to the server in packs, and then bunch the maps together into an archive (.zip, .rar... yeah, you get it) and put the archive up to a file sharing site such as Mediafire, at least the members of group can download the maps fast. The map packs could then be released once a month or something like that, where - the top 5 or maybe top 10? - voted maps are added. What do you think about that?

#11 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 15:23

TheDR, on 12 Oct 2010, 18:36, said:

Yes you can. Use the webserver for the downloads.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#12 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 15:47

But we have to shell out additional cash to do that with Gameservers. A better alternative would be to link to the maps here on FS, let people download them, and leave the customs out of the mapcycle. That way people can simply vote for them.

#13 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 15:55

Hobbesy, on 13 Oct 2010, 16:47, said:

But we have to shell out additional cash to do that with Gameservers.

Where did you get that from?

#14 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 16:26

You can get a web server from them by dishing out extra cash, but I get the feeling we could just use our server for it.

#15 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 17:08

Hobbesy, on 13 Oct 2010, 17:26, said:

You can get a web server from them by dishing out extra cash, but I get the feeling we could just use our server for it.

We could indeed use Nagini to distribute custom content to anyone playing on our server. We simply use sv_downloadurl in the server config, but that generates several issues that are not really open to discussion here.

#16 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 22:05

Then, instead of using a server function, why not dedicate a thread to the downloading of custom maps that the users have already voted on? This way people that actually play on the server will have easy access to the new maps, and no extra funds need be spent.
Posted Image

#17 Slye_Fox

FOXTec Leader

• Project Leader
  • 2351 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 22:19

Sgt. Nuker, on 13 Oct 2010, 23:05, said:

Then, instead of using a server function, why not dedicate a thread to the downloading of custom maps that the users have already voted on? This way people that actually play on the server will have easy access to the new maps, and no extra funds need be spent.

We actually did that, before the custom maps were removed.

Anyway, here's how I think we should do custom map adding;
1. Anyone can suggest a map
2. Server admins play the map to test it's validity
3. A admin vote is done, if is passes go to step 4
4. Players then vote if the map is added
5. is it passes, it's added tot he server
Posted Image

#18 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:46

What if 3 fails when 4 passes with an overwhelming majority?
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:09

I believe it's safe to assume that if 3 fails, step 4 doesn't happen.
Posted Image

#20 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:18

Slye_Fox, on 13 Oct 2010, 23:19, said:

2. Server admins play the map to test it's validity

I think that the phrase "validity" is more to do with it's integrity and server issues, rather than "whether the admins like it". We'd probably vote for it or not in the same way as the rest of the members.

#21 MiraclePig

• 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 14:50

I really want custom maps, and i don't see how its a problem if they aren't in the rotation.
Having a "Fun Night" or something with several different mods and maps would be awsome, and i think that it might also attract more players to become regulars.
As for the system Slye proposed, I think it might turn out to be a very slow process, thus not very good IMO. I don't see why it would have to be so much work adding a map, since they wont be in rotation you can just remove the maps that we don't play.

I would love to see "Stag" again, i really enjoyed that map and all its rockety fun. And I would like the Donkey Kong Payload map, as a Fun map ofc. If there where to be a special day for weird stuff I would also like to play the mod, One Vs. All.
I havent played the dodgeball thing yet, but if yo guys like it im sure its great and i would love to play that as well.

So YES, Custom Maps and soon!!!

#22 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 15:18

MiraclePig, on 14 Oct 2010, 15:50, said:

As for the system Slye proposed, I think it might turn out to be a very slow process, thus not very good IMO. I don't see why it would have to be so much work adding a map, since they wont be in rotation you can just remove the maps that we don't play.
Any system for determining what maps get in is dependent on the outcome of this topic, so it's not really up for debate at this moment in time.

MiraclePig, on 14 Oct 2010, 15:50, said:

So YES, Custom Maps and soon!!!

This is what we want to know 8D

#23 Slye_Fox

FOXTec Leader

• Project Leader
  • 2351 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 17:14

The poll has ended.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic