The Dark Knight Rises, new cast members announced

31 replies to this topic

#1 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:12

Source

Some interesting choices. I'm wondering about the direction Nolan will be taking with this thing.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#2 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:22

I don't really care, I've always found them to be pretentious overrated movies running on dead castmembers.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#3 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:24

That's good to know, thanks for that.
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#4 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:57

No problem :likey:

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#5 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:24

I'm very glad that Megan Faux was discarded as a choice for the role of Catwoman. However I have no idea about how Anne Hathaway will do. I tend to like her acting but I don't know how she will fare in a movie like this. As for the guy playing Bane, well I wonder how they will make him look.
Posted Image

#6 Mbob61

I may or may not be iron man!

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:29

I'm happy with the choice for bane but I'm not sure about Hathaway. Although, from what i read Catwoman wasn't actually mentioned so maybe its about her becoming Catwoman or something.

Mike

Edited by Mbob61, 21 January 2011 - 12:30.

Thanks to Pav3d for the awesome sigs
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 13:28

Hardy is, without a doubt, a first class actor. Although he is in danager of becoming a typecast villan. Hathaway is a good choice, if only as she is better actress than Mrs. No-pain-medication-allowed Cruise and Maggie stick-to-B-movies Gyllenhaal. Sadly the Batman franchise isn't reknown for it's lady stars, even in the modern era, where the films don't actually compare to nailing yourself to a bit of drywall.

#8 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 15:28

Interesting stuff, I'd been assuming that Hardy would be playing Hugo Strange... obviously not. That said, Bane is a very interesting character, and one that probably fits into the Nolans' interpretation of Batman a little better - he's essentially a highly trained fighter with extremely potent steroids (the Venom formula). I like the idea, the interpretation will also be extremely interesting.

As for Hathaway, I like her. Catwoman, however, I'm not sure on. Problem being that Catwoman was already monumentally fucked up by Halle Berry, thus there's going to be one hell of a lot of stigma attached to the role. That said, the Nolans did a marvellous job of the second film, and I have a lot of faith in them to get Catwoman right.

Overall, they've been extremely good with their villains so far, and have cast them in a slightly different light, but in a gritty way that suits the Gotham they've created. I say go for it.
For there can be no death without life.

#9 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 21 January 2011 - 15:49

I hope Bane will be more like he was in Batman & Robin. Infact I hope the entire film will be more like Batman & Robin

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 15:53

View PostPav:3d, on 21 Jan 2011, 15:49, said:

I hope Bane will be more like he was in Batman & Robin. Infact I hope the entire film will be more like Batman & Robin

I really, really, really hope you're being incredibly sarcastic.

#11 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 21 January 2011 - 16:02

View PostAJ, on 21 Jan 2011, 15:53, said:

If he isn't he has terrible taste in movies.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 16:05

View PostAJ, on 21 Jan 2011, 16:53, said:

Actually, ultra-camp and silly is alot more entertaining than the fake "So dark and deep and philosophical" act these movies have.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#13 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 16:10

View PostSquigPie, on 21 Jan 2011, 16:05, said:

Actually, ultra-camp and silly is alot more entertaining than the fake "So dark and deep and philosophical" act these movies have.

Batman & Robin was the ultimate in cheese movies. It was also terrible beyond words. The Dark Knight is still recognised as one of the best films of the last decade, if not one of the best films of all time. Yes, maybe its deep and dark and philosophical, but the writing was great, the acting was great, and the overall atmosphere of the film was great. It made it seem real in a world where we don't have superheroes. If you can't appreciate that magnificent ability of the Nolans to intertwine two almost completely different worlds and make it seem realistic, then you're lost to trashy films my friend :whaa:

#14 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 21 January 2011 - 16:11

Tho I was just trolling, Im agreed with this.

The films take themselves way too seriously. Its a guy wearing a bat suit for gawds sake.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 16:24

View PostAJ, on 21 Jan 2011, 17:10, said:

Batman & Robin was the ultimate in cheese movies. It was also terrible beyond words. The Dark Knight is still recognised as one of the best films of the last decade, if not one of the best films of all time. Yes, maybe its deep and dark and philosophical, but the writing was great, the acting was great, and the overall atmosphere of the film was great. It made it seem real in a world where we don't have superheroes. If you can't appreciate that magnificent ability of the Nolans to intertwine two almost completely different worlds and make it seem realistic, then you're lost to trashy films my friend :whaa:

Wait, wut?

Didn't you notice I said FAKE "deepdarkphilosophicaliness"?

Since I've read/watched/played some pretty "deepdarkphilosophically" books/movies/games, I can say that this isn't it.

Also: Bale's bat-voice, I can't it seriously when he starts talking with that ridiculous growl.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#16 Mbob61

I may or may not be iron man!

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict

Posted 21 January 2011 - 16:38

The growl was admittedly pretty stupid but overall the I personally really liked the batman protrayal in the dark knight.
Having a super hero as something more than the normal 1 dimensional cheesy hero was a good change.

Mike
Thanks to Pav3d for the awesome sigs
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 16:44

View PostSquigPie, on 21 Jan 2011, 16:24, said:

View PostAJ, on 21 Jan 2011, 17:10, said:

Wait, wut?

Didn't you notice I said FAKE "deepdarkphilosophicaliness"?

Since I've read/watched/played some pretty "deepdarkphilosophically" books/movies/games, I can say that this isn't it.

Also: Bale's bat-voice, I can't it seriously when he starts talking with that ridiculous growl.

OK, maybe I should have made this clearer:
"maybe its deep and dark and philosophical"

Note the intense sarcasm. It's a brilliant film as to what it is. Trying to lump it into a genre is practically impossible.

#18 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 16:54

Dark Night was a great movie (if not a big long winded in places, but i feel Nolan has learned from this as Inception is just win).
This one should be good, i really enjoy the fact Nolan isn't just making a Batman movie, he is making his own special brand of Batman, just like the comics and the graphic novels.

View PostPav:3d, on 21 Jan 2011, 16:11, said:

The films take themselves way too seriously. Its a guy wearing a bat suit for gawds sake.

Well thats one of the main points in Batman. The Villains in the Batman series point out that he is also wearing a costume and is just as insane as they are. If they didn't take it seriously that previous argument is invalid.

Bane and Catwoman don't sound particularly appealing, but then again Nolan reinvented the Joker into something sadistic, i hope the same is done to these two villains.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#19 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 22:51

View PostPav:3d, on 22 Jan 2011, 1:49, said:

Screw that, let's go back to 60s Adam West Batman!

On a more related note, yes Nolan Batman takes itself far too seriously but yes they're still stellar movies. 90s Batman The Animated Series was IMO the best mix of camp and seriousness.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#20 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 23:04

DCAU is made of win and awesome!

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#21 Ghostrider

Duly Appointed Federal Marshal

• Project Team
  • 991 posts
  • Projects: The Pants Party, Irradiated Inc.

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:02

How can these movies "take themselves too seriously?" The Nolan's are adding some realism to the comic book story, just like all the other superhero movies (Spiderman, Ironman, etc.)
Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#22 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:58

View PostGhostrider, on 23 Jan 2011, 3:02, said:

How can these movies "take themselves too seriously?" The Nolan's are adding some realism to the comic book story, just like all the other superhero movies (Spiderman, Ironman, etc.)

Because some people are never happy.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 13:36

View PostIon Cannon!, on 23 Jan 2011, 13:58, said:

Yes, because you an't be happy if you don't like pretentious superhero films.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#24 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 14:15

View PostSquigPie, on 23 Jan 2011, 13:36, said:

How exactly is it pretentious? Just because the film doesn't have enough camp for your liking?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 17:30

View PostIon Cannon!, on 23 Jan 2011, 15:15, said:

View PostSquigPie, on 23 Jan 2011, 13:36, said:

How exactly is it pretentious? Just because the film doesn't have enough camp for your liking?

No, because I don't like movies slaming their opinions into my face with the subtlety of a sledgehammer wielded by a raving lunatic. the intelligent media knows that people don't grow from having everything slammed into their heads. They grow from thinking themselves to it.

Edited by SquigPie, 23 January 2011 - 17:31.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users