E3 2012

Lets talk about it

40 replies to this topic

#26 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 18:16

Do you guys really believe The Last of Us wasn't scripted to hell?

It's the oldest lie in the entire video game industry.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#27 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 18:39

Considering it showed those icons that probably indicated which way to move the stick or something, it probably isn't all that scripted.

#28 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 20:33

The Last of Us does look particularly epic - however there must have been some form of scripting there, because I cannot imagine an AI that knows exactly where every part of the terrain is and is able to adapt combat into a seamless interaction with the environment (see the guy who was bashed into a wall then had his skull cracked open on a table). I will, however, wait and see, but if its as good as the trailers claim, then I may actually have to look into a second-hand PS3. God forbid...

Also, new AC3 Naval gameplay looks mediocre as anything aside from the sea itself, which looks swell (see what I did there? no?). Honestly can't see how a lovely calm sea changes into a massively dark, rainy scene with thunder in the space of about two minutes... (and how a British ship with about 3x the guns got smashed to piece by what is essentially a pirate vessel...).

The Far Cry 3 trailer looks exceptional. But with no knowing what the gameplay is going to be like, I can't make much of a judgement. That said, tourist who jumps on top of people and then throws knives with deadly accuracy leaves a little to be imagined, perhaps.

Edited by AJ, 05 June 2012 - 20:37.

For there can be no death without life.

#29 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 22:22

Okay, having just watched the 10-minute Watch Dogs demo, I think we have a clear winner.

I mean, christ, the graphics, the technology, not sure how much was scripted though.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#30 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 22:28

View PostSquigPie, on 05 June 2012 - 22:22, said:

Okay, having just watched the 10-minute Watch Dogs demo, I think we have a clear winner.

I mean, christ, the graphics, the technology, not sure how much was scripted though.
Looked pretty stale to me, to be honest.

To me it looks like Deus Ex without the things that made Deus Ex good.

Posted Image

#31 Liten

Morally Moose

• 326 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 22:34

View PostAJ, on 05 June 2012 - 20:33, said:

Also, new AC3 Naval gameplay looks mediocre as anything aside from the sea itself, which looks swell (see what I did there? no?). Honestly can't see how a lovely calm sea changes into a massively dark, rainy scene with thunder in the space of about two minutes... (and how a British ship with about 3x the guns got smashed to piece by what is essentially a pirate vessel...).
I'm guessing for this demo they wanted to show off the different weather mechanics for the naval combat, which is why the sudden changes were there. And more dakka doesn't mean insta-wins, it's about wether you hit or not (durr 8|), and if you watched closely Connors ship did take some damage, but it wasn't that obvious. They should probbaly work on that.
Posted Image

Kyle Carter said:

Harry Potter is the safety scissors of the Fantasy genre

#32 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 23:38

The Last of Us does look particularly epic - however there must have been some form of scripting there, because I cannot imagine an AI that knows exactly where every part of the terrain is and is able to adapt combat into a seamless interaction with the environment (see the guy who was bashed into a wall then had his skull cracked open on a table).

There's something similar in Arkham City, where batman slams dudes against walls... granted it's not quite this clean, but it's not that far outside the realms of possibility.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#33 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:44

Similar things were introduced in Uncharted 3, even the some of the character movements seems to be directly taken over from Uncharted. Having said that it looks epic. When playing Uncharted 3, u kinda get the feeling how the hell did they manage to make something gorgeous as this from hardware which is like 6 years old.

Also more good news for PS+ member cos sony has made available hell of a lot of top tier titles for free including Infamous 2 :)

#34 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:39

View PostCJ, on 05 June 2012 - 15:59, said:

I wish I could attend E3 just to be able to shout "BOOORING" whenever EA sports makes an appearance.
Seriously, it's an event for gamers, what kind of gamer cares about NHL, Madden, or Fifa?

E3 is an event for investors from now on. Withbthe Internet, do you really need such a large event for gamers anymore? That is why there is so much casual stuff. Also why Valve isn't there. They aren't in need of investors thanks to Steam.

The popularization of games was bound to happen much like the changes in the music scene a few decades ago. There will always be games made for gamers but the majority will be casual stuff, some of which can be fun too.
Posted Image

#35 Wanderer

Lurking around since 2005

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:35

If you want some games-related talking but not about something specific, I recommend checking out gamespot's bonus stage-videos. They've got some different people there visiting and talking about what they are doing and just all kinds of stuff.

#36 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:35

btw Playstation Plus subscribers are getting a great treat this month. 12 free games including Infamous 2, LBP2, Space Marine, Saint Row 2 and Just Cause 2. I don't have internet @ my place these days so no chance of downloading them. I just acquired them for future use. If you are no + member, I guess this is the best time.

#37 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:31

View PostLiten, on 05 June 2012 - 22:34, said:

I'm guessing for this demo they wanted to show off the different weather mechanics for the naval combat, which is why the sudden changes were there. And more dakka doesn't mean insta-wins, it's about wether you hit or not (durr 8|), and if you watched closely Connors ship did take some damage, but it wasn't that obvious. They should probbaly work on that.

Mhm, very true, about the weather. As to the combat, it honestly just looks a bit basic from my point of view, and much like most video games, your character and their vehicles have far more health than most. Whilst I can deal with that from a character point of view, I think if you've got cannonballs smashing into a ship its all a bit more obvious when they bounce off, but you obliterate another ship and have its masts falling off etc 8D

View PostBob, on 05 June 2012 - 23:38, said:

The Last of Us does look particularly epic - however there must have been some form of scripting there, because I cannot imagine an AI that knows exactly where every part of the terrain is and is able to adapt combat into a seamless interaction with the environment (see the guy who was bashed into a wall then had his skull cracked open on a table).

There's something similar in Arkham City, where batman slams dudes against walls... granted it's not quite this clean, but it's not that far outside the realms of possibility.

Oh I don't think its beyond the realms of possibility by any means, but I am a little suspicious of just how seamlessly it all came together; I expect the engine is probably capable of this, but in turn, I think the way the section played out was a demonstration of how the engine can do these things in the perfect case scenarios. I'd be more interested to see the level of variation it can play out in non-scripted environments, if that makes sense.
For there can be no death without life.

#38 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 13:53

Also, Dishonored, while the graffix aren't completely up to date, everything else looks awesome.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#39 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 09 June 2012 - 14:03

Star Wars 1313 looked incredible. Most definitely a next gen game.
Posted Image

#40 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 11 June 2012 - 20:03

I thought it was confirmed that none of the games on show were next gen, they were simply running on a PC.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#41 Wanderer

Lurking around since 2005

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:43

Running on PC doesn't mean it's not next-gen. Most games are demoed on PC so they can get it to look as good as possible. Other reason is that at the moment the next-gen consoles aren't public and they can't make them public by telling that "this game will be on PS4 or X720" or whatever the hell their names are gonna be, because they still want to sell as much as they can for the old consoles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users