Really concerned for Generals 2...

24 replies to this topic

#1 AfterFlash

Title

• Member Test
  • 924 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:52

Bioware as a whole has been looking to be in quite a bad state after the disappointment of their most expensive game Star Wars: The Old Republic. Not just that, but the amount of negative feedback for ME3 has shown signs that Bioware is in a bit of trouble.

For those who don't know about SWToR, I've been playing this MMO since a few weeks after launch (not anymore) and it was apparently the most expensive video game ever created by Bioware, probably ever. This game started off strong with 1.7+ million subs and has lost 600,000 subs in only 5 months. Now, the MMO has announced it was going Free to Play and many more people have unsubscribed because of it. Lots of people though it was a WoW killer (LOL) and thought it would surpass WoW in terms of gameplay. It failed pretty hard, and with the release of GW2 late this month and MoP coming late this year, SWToR could be harshly affected and possibly even kill the game.

I know this has nothing to do with Generals 2, but Bioware and EA are developing the game and I'm really starting to get worried on how Generals 2 will perform. This will be Bioware's first take on the RTS genre like SWToR was their first take on the MMO genre and look at how that turned out. I don't know, what do you guys think?

#2 Bakelitu

Casual

• 84 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:08

well Generals 2 literally died for me after seeing how some games turned up (ME3 Starwars etc).
and I am worried that they will implent a DLC system maybe like in Age of Empires online where you can buy Premium factions(persians)or premium equipment (they did want to input some rpg elements if I remember correctly) after reading this little text on the site of Generals 2.

Ever-evolving Experience – Enhance your game with an expanding array of downloadable content. From maps and units to factions, campaigns, and more, the fight against terrorism is deeper than ever.
http://www.commandan...id/cncgenerals2

If its going to be for free Ok got nothing against it but if they are planning to SELL factions/units/maps then well. I dont see a bright future then.
And cause of the DLC shit im not getting my hopes up for any mod support anymore... "we are too dumb" to use Frostbite engine 2 anyways right?^^
Posted Image

#3 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:59

I can honestly say that I'm just waiting right now. Picking another studio to re-start the franchise (hopefully) is something that, as far as I know being a less-than-average-gamer, a little bit infrequent, and thus, I'm not holding any opinions for/against the game yet. My guess is that whenever the demo comes out, I'll give it a try, and then really decide if C&C's going to be revived, or is getting its last nail stomped in on the coffin lid.

#4 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:17

Dude, Bioware is just a name now, a sticker EA use to promote their games. EA do mediocrity very well, but not much else. Bioware is dead, as are all studios acquired by EA.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:02

EA Games has become an Activision tier company, can't say that I care much about any of their games anymore...
The only studio that's still doing a good job is Dice.

Edited by CJ, 03 August 2012 - 12:04.

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#6 Krieger22

Semi-Pro

• 224 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:37

As Chyros pointed out, Bioware is nothing more than a label for several separate studios now.

While it is pointed out that Frostbite 2 isn't good news for modders, it is stated that it is easier to set the system up outside the studios, and DICE's statement on mod tools is "as of now, no", which means it might change. Might.

However, considered that we still know so little about the game at the moment, it might be best not to jump to conclusions. Time will tell...

Sareen said:

NOOO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOO ...*closes ears* lalalala that never happened!

#7 Bakelitu

Casual

• 84 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:47

my guess if they are planning to release modding tools at all then after they pumped out all the DLCs first.The best example will be BF3 about FrostBite 2. We might get modding tools after End Game if they aren't busy developing BF 4.
But I when I really think of it its far too early too make conclusion about Modding tools for FrostBite 2.
Posted Image

#8 Wanderer

Lurking around since 2005

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 15:21

Most gamecompanies are out to get as much money out of the consumers as possible and having mod-support goes agains that. There's a reason we have s much DLC and other nonsense these days. It works. There's only a few odd gamescompanies that embrace the modding-community. DICE/EA will keep telling that it's too complicated to do mods in frostbite 2, no matter is it true or not, it's a convenient way of making sure there's no modding happening and they sell more DLC. It's a sad thing, since some of my favourite games have been mods (shockwave is pretty obvious choice :D ) I'm gonna hope that generals 2 will be good, keeping my fingers crossed. If not, there's company of heroes 2 coming out, end of nations. Though no modding in either of those, but they are looking like interesting games to play.

#9 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 16:53

View PostWanderer, on 03 August 2012 - 15:21, said:

Most gamecompanies are out to get as much money out of the consumers as possible and having mod-support goes agains that. There's a reason we have s much DLC and other nonsense these days. It works. There's only a few odd gamescompanies that embrace the modding-community. DICE/EA will keep telling that it's too complicated to do mods in frostbite 2, no matter is it true or not, it's a convenient way of making sure there's no modding happening and they sell more DLC. It's a sad thing, since some of my favourite games have been mods (shockwave is pretty obvious choice :D ) I'm gonna hope that generals 2 will be good, keeping my fingers crossed. If not, there's company of heroes 2 coming out, end of nations. Though no modding in either of those, but they are looking like interesting games to play.

Indeed.

I hope they don't attempt to sell some cameos for DLC...
or we don't see things like : * Awesome new tank package, three new tank models"WITH TEXTURES!" just for 5.99 $ ! *

Edited by General, 03 August 2012 - 16:53.

#10 Bakelitu

Casual

• 84 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 17:51

Reminds me a bit of Anno 2070 with those park things some are for free and the ones that look somehow good have to be buyed
Posted Image

#11 AfterFlash

Title

• Member Test
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:33

I still have some bit of hope for this game, EA did an awesome job on the previous titles after all.

#12 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:06

View PostAfterFlash, on 04 August 2012 - 03:33, said:

I still have some bit of hope for this game, EA did an awesome job on the previous titles after all.

Are you talking about C&C3, RA3, or C&C4 here? EA only made crappy C&C Games, Westwood was behind the good ones.

#13 n5p29

Lurker

• Project Leader
  • 1417 posts
  • Projects: NProject Mod, Recolonize, Tidal Wars

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:54

RA3 is good (gameplay wise). :V

#14 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:01

Meh, BS, I agree with CJ. Previous EA C&C titles were stale, boring and most of all, lifeless. And their balancing mechanisms were ridiculous.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:06

View PostCJ, on 04 August 2012 - 04:06, said:

View PostAfterFlash, on 04 August 2012 - 03:33, said:

Are you talking about C&C3, RA3, or C&C4 here? EA only made crappy C&C Games, Westwood was behind the good ones.

CnC4 is fun, just not really a CnC, which is really my only gripe with it, RA3 was insanely fun, and made a pretty damn great CnC, my favorite one so far after TS and RA2, and before CnC3. And then CnC3: All it needed was a bit more futuristic GDI designs, and a bit darker yellow zones. Just because EA made it does not automatically make it shit. For the 11 months they had for CnC4, they did a damn great job. And for the 18 months they had with RA3, they did an epic job.

#16 CoLT

Cuboning!

• Project Team
  • 1611 posts
  • Projects: Untitled, Generation X, March of the Cursed Reich (Working Title)

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:06

My take on all this Generals 2 stuff is simple. Gameplay online will be interesting, like BF3 is for me. Modding will most likely be no since Frosbite is EA's new big thing and they aren't going release tools that might somehow allow their competitors to find out about the inner workings of the engine and then develop something similar, right?

Also, the DLC as far as I see from their info on the their site goes, it'll be a type of premium p2w scenario most likely. DLC comes in the form of factions, units, maps, almost anything. Yes even models and textures seems highly probable. And whatever you buy will be visible to other players so most of the game will be vanity gear.
We might be looking at the advent of a new type of MMORTS.

It does open up possibilities for the future of gaming in general but I, personally, do not like where I see this going.

EDIT: I hate C&C4. It's not anything like any other C&C game and the gameplay didn't make much sense to me. It was like some sort of C&C themed DoTA or LoL but with armies. Weird.... Plus it had a rushed feel to it. You might say that they did a good job within the timeframe they had. I see recycling of unused resources and rushed work. Lacks quality.
C&C3, it's unoriginal. Graphically, it's good, because it means more possibilities for modders. But all 3 sides are essentially the same. You don't need to adjust your style for a particular side, unlike every other C&C game. There's little if any, variation between GDI and NOD. The Scrin are even carbon copies of the other two sides, save for a couple of unique units. This was quite disappointing because even the original C&C had two vastly different sets of units in the GDI and NOD factions. Making different looking units that perform almost exactly the same as each other is very disappointing.
RA3 was an improvement. It had a nice art style. The gameplay in each side was unique and there were nice throwbacks and cameos from the previous Red Alert titles.

G2 is going to really decide whether the C&C name is dead and gone or not. :/

Edited by CoLT, 04 August 2012 - 12:20.

Posted Image

#17 n5p29

Lurker

• Project Leader
  • 1417 posts
  • Projects: NProject Mod, Recolonize, Tidal Wars

Posted 04 August 2012 - 16:46

I hope if Gens2 can't be modded it will have something like Steam Workshop to let community able to contribute.

#18 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 17:27

View Postn5p29, on 04 August 2012 - 16:46, said:

I hope if Gens2 can't be modded it will have something like Steam Workshop to let community able to contribute.
I don't think they'd want that. Factors that increase the longevity and replayability of the game such as modding are not really of this day and age anymore. EA and Activision want to sell you a new game every year, not one that you can play for five years. To them, a game is good if it sells well; that is, it's accessible enough to be played by everyone, and exciting on the short term, but very boring on the long term. So what they do is they dumb down every game to the level of the lowest common denominator so that even children and dumbasses can play it without much hassle, stick in some flashy graphics to blind you to the horrible gameplay on the short term, and take out all game mechanics that are fun, intelligent, unique or interesting.

Edited by Chyros, 04 August 2012 - 17:31.

TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 17:40

View PostChyros, on 04 August 2012 - 17:27, said:

I don't think they'd want that. Factors that increase the longevity and replayability of the game such as modding are not really of this day and age anymore. EA and Activision want to sell you a new game every year, not one that you can play for five years. To them, a game is good if it sells well; that is, it's accessible enough to be played by everyone, and exciting on the short term, but very boring on the long term. So what they do is they dumb down every game to the level of the lowest common denominator so that even children and dumbasses can play it without much hassle, stick in some flashy graphics to blind you to the horrible gameplay on the short term, and take out all game mechanics that are fun, intelligent, unique or interesting.

You don't know how steam workshop works, do you? Players create stuff for the game, Valve sells said stuff (giving a small percentage of the sale's revenue to the creator) and other players will have to buy said stuff if they want more content.
The average item on Dota 2 (which uses Steam workshop) costs 5 bucks, I'm pretty sure EA wouldn't say no to getting free money from the modders.

Edited by CJ, 04 August 2012 - 17:41.

#20 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 20:14

View PostCJ, on 04 August 2012 - 17:40, said:

You don't know how steam workshop works, do you? Players create stuff for the game, Valve sells said stuff (giving a small percentage of the sale's revenue to the creator) and other players will have to buy said stuff if they want more content.
The average item on Dota 2 (which uses Steam workshop) costs 5 bucks, I'm pretty sure EA wouldn't say no to getting free money from the modders.
That does not sound like something EA would buy into. These are hard businessmen we're talking, who don't want to risk losing revenue. The current scheme has worked WAY too well for them, and continues to.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:03

You don't know how steam workshop works, do you? .....I'm pretty sure EA wouldn't say no to getting free money from the modders.
I'm pretty sure you've forgotten that this is EA and they don't like Steam! Expect an Origin "Workshop" sometime soon though :P

#22 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:20

View PostWizard, on 06 August 2012 - 08:03, said:

You don't know how steam workshop works, do you? .....I'm pretty sure EA wouldn't say no to getting free money from the modders.
I'm pretty sure you've forgotten that this is EA and they don't like Steam! Expect an Origin "Workshop" sometime soon though :P

:rolleyes:

#23 Anubis

Lord of the Underworld

• Project Leader
  • 1259 posts
  • Projects: MGS projects.

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:33

To expect any kind of mod support right now is to be naive at an epic scale. Some people never learn i guess :P. First you hope for gens2 to be a true sequel, then when that is blown to pieces you hope for some other stuff. Stop hoping for good things in today's industry. It will only - ONLY - lead to more disappointment. For the last and final time, there won't be any modding support. If by any chance modding is involved, there is a risk players would make content at least at the same level as the DLC they try to sell. This means less money from DLC, which is exactly what they are trying to avoid. Believe it or not modding is a dieing hobby. If you look at the market today and in the last 3-5 years you will see that most of the games that were moddable in the past, are no longer in their sequels. However they all get DLC packs. You can't have both community free stuff and DLC, because most would chose the free stuff ofc. DLC is basicly the thing that is slowly killing modding.
Couple to this the fact that games today are launched at a incredible rate (1-1.5 years at most between 2 games) and you realize that the goal is to sell games each time they launch one, and then sell DLC's for a few months until the sequel comes out, and then repeat the cycle. It's been like this for years, and it's only getting worse. There is no more community stuff, or interest in it. It's just dust in the eyes of the few who still care. Accept it or not the new generations are extremely superficial and in many cases also extremely stupid. The need for elaborate stuff is no longer, the need for a true challange ( not cheap challange like in D3 where they artificially increase hp/dmg and call it epic difficulty ) is no more and the only thing left is a thirst for epic visuals and easy as piss gameplay with as little story or side elements as possible so their brains wont overheat. The facebook generation prefers that single action button ( that replaces the 'like' button ) and anything that goes beyond that already makes them feel uncomfortable.
This being said, tbh i find people who still have hopes from EA or any of the giant companies to simply be either naive ( if your an older gamer ) or really young and new to the market. Either way, they really need to get their feet on the ground.

#24 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 17 August 2012 - 16:44

The game has been announced to be just Command and Conquer now and will be F2P. That means no single-player, no modding or any community content, just lots and lots of DLC.

Edited by Soul, 17 August 2012 - 16:44.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#25 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 20:21

We already have a discussion about the 'new' Command & Conquer going on here.

Since this thread doesn't serve much of a purpose any more...

:locky:
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users