Metal storm

119 replies to this topic

#1 Eureka Seven

Regular

• 162 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 21:06

Metal storm the fastest weapon to ever be made. to bad humans cant shoot them, unless operating a computer and telling to shoot counts(which i think it does lol) but it cant be hand held is what im getting at, at least not yet, they are working on a hand gun for this though, get ready to break ur wrist! :rolleyes: :minigunner: muhahaha.
Metal storm

Edited by Davey Jones, 07 September 2006 - 21:08.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/RICHARDHOWLETT/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Shockwave%20sig.png
Was davey jones, shas'O kais

#2 BillyChaka

The word is law. The law is love.

• Member Test
  • 4358 posts
  • Projects: stayin' alive

Posted 07 September 2006 - 21:36

Yeah, it's cool, but it's name is as cliche as the next Vin Diesel movie. I mean really. I think it looks ugly.

Posted Image

Ion Cannon in IRC said:

[19:11] <+IonCannnon> Basically, billychaka is a heartless bastard.

#3 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 07 September 2006 - 22:06

Yeah i have to agree, saw this about a year ago. I think were already too capable at killing and destroying, and investing in a gun which needs that much ammo will be impractical. Why cant we stop thinking of new ways to destroy things *sigh*
Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Eureka Seven

Regular

• 162 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 22:44

well the use of the high rate of fire i would say, well for example hundreds of men are chargeing you position, just set that thing up and fire, there all dead. and ion cannon there will never be peace on earth, as long as humans have differences the fighting will never stop, so basically u would have to wipe out the human race in order to have tranquility. and i agree it looks ugly , i was hopeing for something more round lol.

Edited by Davey Jones, 07 September 2006 - 22:44.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/RICHARDHOWLETT/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Shockwave%20sig.png

#5 Eddy01741

E-Studios Uber Computer Geek

• 2223 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 22:58

View PostDavey Jones, on 7 Sep 2006, 18:44, said:

well the use of the high rate of fire i would say, well for example hundreds of men are chargeing you position, just set that thing up and fire, there all dead. and ion cannon there will never be peace on earth, as long as humans have differences the fighting will never stop, so basically u would have to wipe out the human race in order to have tranquility. and i agree it looks ugly , i was hopeing for something more round lol.

Does it matter, lets say you have a battalion of troops spreading accross... lets say one km to emphasize it, and lets say a 5 rows of men in depth. Now, if you had one metal storm, you fire off all the bulets, it eliminates... one column, so you have 6 feet out of 1km eliminated, big deal, the thing is, you'll waste so many bullets, especially with that RoF, i mean, like 10 bullets will go into each body since people don't instantly fall when they get hit and will get hit multiple times. If you had a machinegun, you could sweep across a wide range of men and eliminate more, saying that you had a lot of replacement barrels and tons of ammo, metal storm doesn't really have a use imo, i mean, the gattling cannon (and guns based ont eh gattling like the vulcan cannon) are already irrelevant for basically everything but shooting down aircraft and mounting them in aircraft. Beccause they use so many bullets so fast. Basically, this thing will do no better of a job than a conventional GPMG, probably worse, i mean, even if you could have a machinegun and not some like 60 barreled not soldier portable weapon that has metal storm tech, it's not that great, i mean, metal storm relies on bullets stacked in front of each other, and being launched with some kind of ellectrical charge instead of the regular firing pin detonating gun powder, well, you can't realy stack that many bullets into a conventional MG barrel, can you? IMO the metal strm is for bragging rights and nothing more.
Posted Image

#6 BillyChaka

• Member Test
  • 4358 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 23:04

The man who invented a gattling gun wanted to create a weapon that would scare human kind so badly, they would never start a war again. VOILA! Now we've got metal storm up to bat. Fuck metal storm, man.

Posted Image

Ion Cannon in IRC said:

#7 Eureka Seven

Regular

• 162 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 23:33

eddy u dont know the power of this thing, its like a freken shot gun but probebly 5 times better, heres the video of this thing in action, WATCH TO THE END, its shows what i belive is 9+ things of ply wood being riped stright through.
and then there are different fireing rates to so... :rolleyes:
video

Edited by Davey Jones, 07 September 2006 - 23:35.

#8 BillyChaka

• Member Test
  • 4358 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 23:39

I agree with Eddy. This thing is just for show. Pretty useless if you ask me. What will we use it for, anyway? 180 rounds in less than a second. That's just stupid. Miss and that's 6 magazines of shots that could have been somewhere else.

Posted Image

Ion Cannon in IRC said:

#9 Eureka Seven

Regular

• 162 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 23:41

i can see we are deprived of completly reading the first webpage i posted, there are other uses for this thing besides bullets,and i belive this would make a formidable anti air gun.

Edited by Davey Jones, 07 September 2006 - 23:43.

#10 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 23:43

It'nt it made to fire older rounds so we don't have to make new ones?

#11 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 23:47

Such as grenades.

Anyway, the thing CAN be hand held, its bullets backed up in a barrel that are fired electronically, on Future Weapons, they kept showing how it could work in a pistol. 3 shots could get off before any recoil what so ever, that is how it could be useful.

#12 Moosy Crisp

GHERUG!

• Banned
  • 1529 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 00:16

The thing can possibly shoot down missles and planes and stuff like that. I agree that 1 million rounds a minute might be overkill, but I don't think it will take a minute to destroy your target :rolleyes: I don't there are many things that could withstand such firepower. I think it's a good investment, as long as they can come up with a solution to the ammo problem

#13 Eddy01741

• 2223 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 16:51

View PostDavey Jones, on 7 Sep 2006, 19:33, said:

eddy u dont know the power of this thing, its like a freken shot gun but probebly 5 times better, heres the video of this thing in action, WATCH TO THE END, its shows what i belive is 9+ things of ply wood being riped stright through.
and then there are different fireing rates to so... :rolleyes:
video

Yea right, it can kill like one line of troops, can it spray along a whole line of incoming soldiers, i don't think so, and imagine how long it would take to reload the thing. Metal storm is obviously unuseful, i mean, if gattling like guns are already mostly redundant, the metal storm is just basically made to break records. I mean, if there were 1000 men coming to my position, iwould get 5 machine guns and troops to operate them and mow the oncoming troops down.
Posted Image

#14 BillyChaka

• Member Test
  • 4358 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 20:48

(Gattling guns are mounted on planes and helicopter side gunner doors already, Eddy. Definetly not redundant.)

Posted Image

Ion Cannon in IRC said:

#15 Mathias

we dont need i to c

• 3831 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 23:27

It will be useful for shooting down missiles, for one.
Lifes a shit.. deal w/ it..its impossible to have a good day wow fuck this gay earth much??
Posted Image
Ask me questions about audio technical matters or DAWs!

#16 BillyChaka

• Member Test
  • 4358 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 23:32

How so?

Edited by BillyChaka, 08 September 2006 - 23:33.

Posted Image

Ion Cannon in IRC said:

#17 Eddy01741

• 2223 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 23:33

View PostBillyChaka, on 8 Sep 2006, 16:48, said:

(Gattling guns are mounted on planes and helicopter side gunner doors already, Eddy. Definetly not redundant.)

You think of all my military knowledge i wouldn't know that a f*cking M134 'Minigun' on a blackhawk and such? I mean, if you got well trained crews, put a M240 or a M2HB on there and it should do just fine, as well as expend much less ammo, I ALREADY MENTIONED PLANES ANYWAYS, i mean, if a jet is going over mach 1, you can't really expect a 500-600RPM M2 'fifty cal' to hit a plane, but guess what, i think we have many more machine guns in teh army and marines than minigun type weapons in planes. Anyways, i agree that the Metal storm will be a great phalanx replacer in the navy, especialy if fitted with explosive proximity shells. BUt it'd have to go against the RAM (rolling airframe missile) as a replacement to the phalanx.
Posted Image

#18 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 00:29

The best thing about it is it's Australian :rolleyes:
Otherwise... think how many millions of dollars worth of bullets it would go through.

Posted Image

#19 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:59

Its going to use old shells that would go to waste so don't worry about high ammo prices.

#20 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts
  • Projects: Americas Rage

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:04

OMG- WDF is the USA looking into this and not Australia?

Australias army could be amazing if they used this sort of thing- could this kill a tank?

#21 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:03

Tanks aren't really alive Smooder.

Anyway, Australia is so isolated this weapon is useless. We have only had 1 major attack and that was the Darwin bombings by the Japanese 50 years ago.

Posted Image

#22 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:50

Yes, smooder, it can decimate a tank. Why? Because the thing can be equipped with high explosive 40mms

#23 Mathias

we dont need i to c

• 3831 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 18:25

View PostBillyChaka, on 9 Sep 2006, 01:32, said:

How so?

Because it will have such a large volume of fire that even the fastest or smallest missiles can be shredded before they get to the target.

Edited by Cycerin, 09 September 2006 - 20:32.

Lifes a shit.. deal w/ it..its impossible to have a good day wow fuck this gay earth much??
Posted Image
Ask me questions about audio technical matters or DAWs!

#24 MLRS

Raining heavy metal!

• Banned
  • 858 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 18:34

Take the wasting ammo complaint and killing 1 line for guys complaint. SOLVED. How? Because those bullets were 40mms, so all the infantry are dead!!!! :dope:
Posted Image

#25 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 19:15

Um thats not how its done.Why?Cuz its not about the caliber of the bullets its the amount of bullets...
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users