Modern Warfare 3

637 replies to this topic

#226 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:05

Read the article, it gets better |8

They are going to charge a monthly subscription fee for "Call of Duty Elite". I really hope people say NO to this and that it doesn't spread to other games.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#227 Wanderer

Lurking around since 2005

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:18

oh ffs, so they are using the mmo-payment method on a non-mmo game?

#228 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:56

View PostWanderer, on 31 May 2011, 10:18, said:

oh ffs, so they are using the mmo-payment method on a non-mmo game?

Not really, its just on things like map packs and... not sure what else really, unless they release a new map pack every month its hardly going to be worth subscribing to.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#229 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:03

Maps, facebook whoring and stat fagging. Nothing to see there, people. Personally, I can live without all that very well (in fact I'm glad they got rid of the stat fagging, something which hampered Black Ops).
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#230 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:10

It'll probably make a killing, knowing the majority of their customers.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#231 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:21

Mwah. The MW2 map packs didn't sell THAT well either. There's plenty of people who didn't buy them. A monthly fee will probably reduce that percentage too. I'm sure it will make millions but don't forget about half of the CoD community doesn't even touch MP.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#232 Liten

Morally Moose

• 326 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:25

The worst part about this is, that if it does give Activision X million dollars more, they will consider it a success and do it on every major game from now on |8

I have officially lost all hope in the CoD series now, lets hope other developers don't follow their lead.
Posted Image

Kyle Carter said:

Harry Potter is the safety scissors of the Fantasy genre

#233 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:30

I think it might cause a clear division between types of game. Premium games, made by the major game studios, and non-premium games. It will give more incentive to buy indie games, that's for sure.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#234 Wanderer

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:26

https://twitter.com/#!/michaelcondrey/s...392521097838593

"COD Elite will be free to all COD players – paid aspects TBD, and as promised, no charge for MP. Many more details in the AM."

also http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/31...te-the-trailer/

Edited by Wanderer, 31 May 2011 - 12:19.

#235 Pav:3d

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:40

More info on CoD Elite, in trailer form!

(skip to 6:13 if you want to see a few seconds of MW3)

Edited by Pav:3d, 31 May 2011 - 12:45.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#236 Jinzor

Amateur

• Project Leader
  • 148 posts
  • Projects: 2142 Northern Excursion Mod

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:54

[quote name='Pav:3d' post='858225' date='31 May 2011, 13:40']

More info on CoD Elite, in trailer form!

(skip to 6:13 if you want to see a few seconds of MW3)[/quote]

That trailer has made me feel sick. I just... *gets all stressed*... can't believe they actually did this. I hope this trailer was just a massive trolling-joke.

Edited by Jinzor, 31 May 2011 - 12:55.

Posted Image

Steam: Jinz
X-Fire: jinrenegade

#237 Wanderer

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 13:02

That's basically what they've used to sell the idea around... It was leaked by someone under NDA

#238 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 14:04

If that trailer is true then I don't mind it. Like I said, it would be just stat fagging and "community" BS for players that don't have friends.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#239 Wanderer

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 17:56

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/31...elite-features/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/31...elite-thoughts/

Edited by Wanderer, 31 May 2011 - 18:07.

#240 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 18:48

Sounds very much like I wouldn't really want in in the first place anyway.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#241 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 19:16

View PostChyros, on 31 May 2011, 9:59, said:

View Postdeltaepsilon, on 31 May 2011, 7:01, said:

More news on the subscription thing: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405..._LEFTTopStories

Activision Blizzard Inc. plans to launch an online service called Call of Duty Elite this fall that will work with the next major edition of the game, "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3," and future installments of the hyper-realistic combat-simulation game.

"hyper-realistic combat-simulation game."

Posted Image
They better keep realism out of my series goddammit. They can stick it somewhere the sun don't shine >.> .

Realism on a FPS ? I don't think so |8 Noone will want to die with a hit, and fans' response to such a thing will be awful, Activision will be burned :xD:

#242 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:15

I bolded that particular quote from the article to express my exasperation towards the lazy, ignorant journalism that goes towards things like this. It's CALL OF DUTY, not ARMA or Red Orchestra. It's pretty much a given that the next CoD will be marginally more realistic than a Saturday morning cartoon, so Chyros shouldn't have much to worry about in that respect.
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#243 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:32

Look what even marginal pieces of realism fagging did to CoD though.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#244 Wanderer

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 22:15

http://pc.ign.com/ar.../1171984p1.html

Some info about the Multiplayer, including some perks and killstreaks. Though not confirmed!

Edited by Wanderer, 01 June 2011 - 22:17.

#245 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 22:51

I wouldn't be surprised if they are leaking half-true information just to get more attention |8 .
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#246 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 22:50

View PostWanderer, on 2 Jun 2011, 0:15, said:

http://pc.ign.com/ar.../1171984p1.html

Some info about the Multiplayer, including some perks and killstreaks. Though not confirmed!
And now it's unconfirmed. From 402's twatter:

@crecenteb I gave direct confirmation that SP isn't a perk in any form, denied Team Perks, and that all other MP is unknown due to not done.

No stopping power, no team perks. Also, no Commando or One Man Army. Also, they are actively gearing the game towards the use of GUNS, not explosives (:beer:):

@Jayyden1 Balancing of explosives in general was a key design point for #MW3. As I said, fast pace gun on gun focus is where its at.

Oh and they didn't noobify it by removing all the sound like they did in BO:

@RaptorClaw141 I agree, sound is key in awareness. Determining an enemy location by footsteps and the sounds of shots fired is important.

Edited by Chyros, 02 June 2011 - 22:52.

TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#247 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:24

this is good news :O
it's time to wake up

#248 Pav:3d

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:37

NO STOPPING POWER?! HOLY HELL.
So it means one of my perks will not have to be solely dedicated to one perk because Ill be instantly disadvantaged if I dont?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#249 Stalker

All Purpose ZH Modder

• Project Team
  • 568 posts
  • Projects: secret stuff.

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:33

View PostPav:3d, on 3 Jun 2011, 13:37, said:

NO STOPPING POWER?! HOLY HELL.
So it means one of my perks will not have to be solely dedicated to one perk because Ill be instantly disadvantaged if I dont?

And you'll not have to use an UMP if you want to use another perk than SP :-)

Well, good news.. now lets just hope it won't be another Black Ops.
Posted Image

#250 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 13:33

Personally I'm convinced they could've made SP a balanced choice if they optimised the damage values a bit but I guess this works too. It does mean that unless they are very creative, weapons will not differ that much from each other though, an outstanding but extreme example of this is BO where most weapons are all but identical. It also means that SMGs are very much at the danger of becoming underpowered, because a 30-20 SMG will never work against a 40-30 assault rifle (let alone a 50-50 LMG or equivalent) - this has so far been true in every single CoD game to date. As I'm pretty convinced there will always be 40-30 ARs in CoD, this means that weak SMGs will need to do at least 40 or eq. base damage up close and by extension that strong SMGs will need to do at least 50. This in turn means that shotguns will need to be pretty strong to have any chance to be viable at all, and that in turn SMGs become too much of a niche to function effectively (as shotguns would utterly destroy them at short range while everything else would destroy them at range). This is also why I would opt for the complete removal of shotguns by the way - they simply have no place in the game as the are by definition always overpowered or underpowered (it's a pity, I like shotguns, but they will simply never work well). With 50-x SMGs and 40-30 ARs though the game will take place VERY quickly and I fear this may come at the cost of the game as you can not really counter an offensive that kills you as fast as that, striking a certain element of skill from the game. In other words, removing stopping power actually has a strong tendency to dumb down the game.

Again, it's possible that they do it well. But it will mean striking either 40-30 AR or 30-20 SMG classes from the game, and I don't see them doing that anytime soon.

Edited by Chyros, 03 June 2011 - 13:46.

TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users