Deep End closed

75 replies to this topic

#1 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:20

After all the trouble and infighting we've seen with the Deep End, we've decided to close it indefinitely. We've set up an alternate forum where non-political discussions can be had: Philosopher's Corner. The Deep End forum will stay up as a read-only forum for a while, so people can save any topics they still want from it.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#2 E.V.E.

Femme Fatale Of The Army

• Gold Member
  • 6564 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:28

It was the place with the most trouble in the Threads.
So I can say, that this doesnt suprise me.

- E.V.E.

Posted Image

#3 Mathias

we dont need i to c

• 3831 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:44

Won't miss the political jabbering. Philosophical topics was always where I actually bothered to contribute to the discussion anyway.
Lifes a shit.. deal w/ it..its impossible to have a good day wow fuck this gay earth much??
Posted Image
Ask me questions about audio technical matters or DAWs!

#4 Futschki

Duh!

• 2835 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:54

Yea That's Better Now Even Tho I didn't participate in any political thread :joint:
Posted Image

#5 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 13:29

Way better..
Posted Image

#6 spiderspag

Blah.

• 3650 posts
  • Projects: C&C Shockwave and War Games ZH mapper

Posted 23 April 2007 - 13:42

Personally I think this is incredibly ridiculous.
The deep end thread was my favourite place in E-Studio's, and I never took anything anyone said, even if it was about me, personally. Furthermore, most of the more controversial posts that have been made I believe have occoured in the General Discussions forum. Not that they can't be deleted anyhow. I enjoy debating a great deal and am very disappointed that this forum for political debate among people from such diverse political and geographical backgrounds has been closed. I urge you to reopen it again, and would encourage moderators to simply close threads in the future or use warn increases if topics are getting too heated/personal. It is beyond me why you would get rid of the best part of the forums itself, apart from the mods of course.
I don't feel I am alone in this matter.

Yours sincerely,

spiderspag

EDIT: Furthermore, the Deep End was a great place for discussing news events as they happened. For example, some of you may not know that Boris Yeltsin has just died.

Edited by spiderspag, 23 April 2007 - 14:41.

Posted Image
This sick sig was made by da man, Cattman2236. Yeeh boii!
Posted Image
Check da myspace @ Spiderspag's Myspace
You killed my entire family... and I don't like that sort of thing...
Technocracy- it's our only hope.

#7 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 14:00

The problem with locking topics is that you'll always get people complaining that you're picking sides. We can't win them all, so we're doing what seems best to us.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#8 spiderspag

Blah.

• 3650 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 14:05

Yes but that's going to happen when you lock any topic... especially in the ShW suggestions thread.

Has it really been so much trouble lately? I am assuming that you have received some complaints.

Edited by spiderspag, 23 April 2007 - 14:41.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 LCPL Carrow

You want my guns? Come take 'em!

• 753 posts
  • Projects: ZH Unleashed

Posted 23 April 2007 - 14:51

I'm with spidersag on the disappointment at the closing, but at the same time, political debate is rather pointless because none of us are ever going to change anyone else's minds or ideologies.

The staff know what they're doing, and it's up to them to do it. So whatever.

The news/current events will just have to come up in the General Discussion forum, I guess.
Semper Fidelis

0311 Rifleman

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
Posted Image
Posted Image

<Aqua> 0311 Roflemen.

#10 spiderspag

Blah.

• 3650 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 15:02

View PostLCPL Carrow, on 24 Apr 2007, 00:51, said:

at the same time, political debate is rather pointless because none of us are ever going to change anyone else's minds or ideologies.

But that isn't really what debating is all about. It is nevertheless interesting to hear everyone's opinions tested against one another, however.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 15:31

I agree with spiderspag on this one. Besides, political and philosophical topics are usually somewhat cross-related.

Couldn´t we "just" have some sort of "locking-poll"? Let´s say you choose moderators from several political sides, as soon as one thinks that a topic should be locked a poll gets started so that the users themselfs can decide wheter they want a topic to stay or not.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#12 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts
  • Projects: Americas Rage

Posted 23 April 2007 - 17:02

View Postspiderspag, on 23 Apr 2007, 14:42, said:

Another example of over policing.

[How many people have got banned?

Now the whole forum has gone.

Pathetic is the word.

#13 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 23 April 2007 - 18:22

I don't really care that the Deep End is locked, I never really posted in there anyway, unless I actually had something of use to post, but that's about it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#14 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 23 April 2007 - 18:54

Debating was at best a waste of time and space since it really got nowhere.

#15 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 19:17

View PostSmooder, on 23 Apr 2007, 18:02, said:

Pathetic is the word.

Hardly the end of the world as we know it, is it?

#16 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 19:23

You're acting like this forum should be an all-in-one solution to your discussion needs. It isn't. It's a games modding/hosting forum, specifically for C&C series games. Anything else you get is extra, but not required. Don't complain about losing something you might never have got to begin with. We don't owe each other anything, you're free to leave if you don't like it.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 19:31

I think E-Studios shouldnt limit itself to gaming/modding. IMO i think E-Studios is a whole lot more then that.

Edited by Crazykenny, 23 April 2007 - 19:31.

Posted Image

#18 E.V.E.

Femme Fatale Of The Army

• Gold Member
  • 6564 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 19:39

I think E-Studios shouldnt limit itself to gaming/modding. IMO i think E-Studios is a whole lot more then that.

You are right there, it could be more. But I dont know if Politics should be part of it.

- E.V.E.

Posted Image

#19 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 19:43

Well its ok if people discuss it. I dont mind, but not if it turns into a flame war..
Posted Image

#20 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 20:05

View PostStinger, on 23 Apr 2007, 20:17, said:

View PostSmooder, on 23 Apr 2007, 18:02, said:

Pathetic is the word.

Hardly the end of the world as we know it, is it?

No its not. You are right. But.. Why shut it?

View PostCodeCat, on 23 Apr 2007, 20:23, said:

You're acting like this forum should be an all-in-one solution to your discussion needs. It isn't. It's a games modding/hosting forum, specifically for C&C series games. Anything else you get is extra, but not required. Don't complain about losing something you might never have got to begin with. We don't owe each other anything, you're free to leave if you don't like it.

Then why was it there in the first place? it shouldnt be shut just because you dont like other peoples oppinions. We should all know and respect other peoples beliefs, not shit all over them. I dont think the deepend creates any problems at all. And as we cant talk about things now. I think you should remove your sig. It is offensive.
It states 2 political beliefs.
That belongs in the deepend.

Oh no.. because its gone now!

This forum is turning into a dictatorship more and more every day.

Really this has only just come on... Bannings, locking forums, "if you dont do this i'll ban you" "Consider this a warning because you dont think the same way as me"

#21 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 20:27

And what if it is a dictatorship? We're trying to create an experience that appeals best for the purpose we (staff) have set for it. We can't appeal to everyone, but this is not a matter of who screams loudest will be heard best.

The Deep End was, right from the beginning, created as an experiment. I can even quote you the topic where the idea of the Deep End first came up. It was created as an experiment to see how well a political discussion forum would fare on this forum. And now, staff believes that the experiment hasn't lived up to what we expected of it. So it has been closed. We're now trying a different approach with the Philosopher's Corner.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 20:33

I wasnt talking about just stuff in the deep end anyway. I'm talking about the forum in general.

I dont like the fact Kacen spams in the spammy yummy discussion. I'll ban him.

I don't like ellezark, lets ban him.

I dont agree with your oppinion, I'll ban you.

I don't like the fact your asking for an explanation, I'll lock the topic and warn you.

I dont agree with you "consider this a warning"- for not having my oppinion

#23 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 20:36

That's ironic, because right now you're more or less wanting to get us sacked for not doing what YOU want.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 Athena

Embody the Truth

• Gold Member
  • 2672 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 20:39

We try to lead the forum the way we think is best for everyone. We don't force you to stay here, you are free to leave and visit other places.

#25 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 20:46

I think you guys are missing the point really, the fact is, the deep end IS closed and ISNT gonna be reopened anytime soon, no matter how much whining you do, infact the whining is really supporting our decision... these kind of arguments, backed up with political beliefs dont end pretty in the slightest :/

This forum is primarily about modding cnc based games, not discussing political views, if you wish to do so, then join a forum with that as its main aim, i havent looked, but im sure there are some, you can find anything if you look long enough...

I would also like to add, this was not a spur of the moment thing to close the deep end, we have been discussing it and best possible options for several months now, we even discussed some of the ideas proposed in here, however we feel that this is the best option for everyone

and my final point:

It states 2 political beliefs.

state being the optimum word, not discuss
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users