Generals 2 possibly being made..

81 replies to this topic

#1 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts
  • Projects: NLS + Situation Zero

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:22

Did a bit of Googling and found out that EA purchased the Domain "Generals2.com" Of course the link is inactive but according to this fansite That the Premier Edition of RA3 states a Beta Key to a future CNC Game.

So what's your thoughts on it?

EDIT:Of course we won't be hearing much about "Generals 2" until EA completes RA3's Expansion.

Edited by Zhen Ji, 15 August 2008 - 11:26.

Posted Image

#2 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:28

ShockWave II.

:awe

Posted Image

#3 E.V.E.

Femme Fatale Of The Army

• Gold Member
  • 6564 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:33

If Generals 2 will be released, that'll make my Day.
I just love Generals to much. :P

I hope that this is true, it would be simply awesome.

- E.V.E.

Posted Image

#4 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:46

Can they at least leave it six months or something before they gear up to full production (they've probably been investigating the concept and possibilities for years like RA3), though? One game in development is a big deal, two is a stretch, three is too much (as poor old Tiberium found out) and four would be simply impossible. Otherwise, fantastic! I love Generals at least as much if nor more than any other game; it's extraordinarily tactical, fluid and generally just plain fun. I'd also hope they're looking into something other than SAGE, though that's probably a bit too much to ask. Anyway, great news, but I hope they know what they're doing.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 E.V.E.

Femme Fatale Of The Army

• Gold Member
  • 6564 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:48

I just hope its just as easy to mod like the first Generals, though I doubt it.

- E.V.E.

Posted Image

#6 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:48

Nice find Zhen Ji!
Let's hope they fix the upgradelimit :P Then I'm happy...
Posted Image

#7 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:55

It's indicative what the new EALA project will be. In fact, they have been mentioning Generals a lot again lately in press videos and things.

Judging how Kane's Wrath was produced, as soon as Red Alert 3 is done, I imagine they will start work on Generals II and the expansion for Red Alert 3 will be handled by skeleton crew.

I think Generals II is less than two years away.

#8 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:43

View PostE.V.E., on 15 Aug 2008, 12:48, said:

I just hope its just as easy to mod like the first Generals, though I doubt it.

- E.V.E.

Considering that it'll use a the upgraded SAGE engine, I doubt it, it would most likely use the xml files thing.

@Stinger; I doubt they would rush the expansion of RA3, Because they have gone to a lot of hard work to get RA3 enjoyable.
Posted Image

#9 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:47

View PostZhen Ji, on 15 Aug 2008, 22:43, said:

@Stinger; I doubt they would rush the expansion of RA3, Because they have gone to a lot of hard work to get RA3 enjoyable.
All EA cares about expansions is the extra $50 they get from each poor soul that buys them. The amount of new content is minimal, and most of the time could've been added to the game if they added a month onto release.

/endrant

This may be the only EA made game I'll buy in the near future.

Posted Image

#10 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:47

The expansion wont be rushed but will most likely given to some noobs to make it (and as ussual go behind schedule)
Posted Image

#11 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:59

General in full high-poly glory. Heck yeah! :P

#12 E.V.E.

Femme Fatale Of The Army

• Gold Member
  • 6564 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 13:03

Posted Image

Imagine that! :P

- E.V.E.

Posted Image

#13 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 15 August 2008 - 13:05

Hmm generals 2 eh. If that does happen I will probaly get back into modding it. Hell I might do it for RA3.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 14:18

I like that there'll be a Premier Edition of RA3. Yes, despite all the negative stuff I've said about the game, I'm still going to buy it since the gameplay might still be decent and it's the only RA we'll ever get as long as there's no timewarp sending us back to the 90's to stop EA from taking over Westwood. As long as EA keeps releasing all these special editions in addition to the regular game, there's always a chance for me to get an uncensored English version in this stupid country which is great. They also look quite pretty on the shelf. As for Gens2, we'll have to wait and see but if this turns out to be more than just a hint, it's certainly nice to see that EA does no longer try to deny the existence of the Generals games.

Edited by Rayburn, 15 August 2008 - 14:26.

#15 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 15:05

Booyah!

Now let's hope EA stays true to the strengths of the first Generals: the tried-and-true build and combat systems, yet with realistic units and weaponry. Things like the Aurora, Paladin, etc. And let's hope they keep customisability in mind when making it >.>
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Sharpnessism

Custom title!

• Member Test
  • 2871 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 15:52

I hope Generals II will be akin to Starcraft II, in the way that a lot of original iconic units are kept. Dragon Tank/Lix/MiGs, Tunnels/Quads, Humvees/King Raptors.

If they make it totally different, they'll mess it up for sure.
Posted Image

#17 Eddy01741

E-Studios Uber Computer Geek

• 2223 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 17:06

I hope they have some new units, new tanks to replace the overlords (imagine the overlord being the MBT and other tanks being heavy tanks lol). I do hope that they continue with the generals franchise though.
Posted Image

#18 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 17:12

I hope they stick to the mood and theme of the original and don't come up with some shitty reason to make it "cartoony and funny". The most comical thing about this game should be the stereotypes (e.g. Americans acting like super-heroic cowboys, crazily patriotic Chinese etc.) All in all, it should be like Generals with better graphics, new stuff for the factions and a better, more character-driven storyline with FMVs which are more than those cheap news reports from ZH.

Edited by Rayburn, 15 August 2008 - 17:13.

#19 Dr. Knickers

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 506 posts
  • Projects: CnC 3: ConRed, CORE

Posted 15 August 2008 - 17:42

If EA makes Generals 2 as cartoony as RA 3, I will kill them. I'm hoping for a WiCish feel to it; more of a dusty feel to it rather than OMG IF IT'S SHINEY, IT MUST BE GOOD.

Iconic units I can live without as long as they don't replace them with something totally out of hand.
On the other hand, they could keep the iconic units in and completely screw them up too...

At any rate, I'll be keeping an eye on this. Who knows, with all the stuff they did with water and naval units in RA 3, maybe they'll put naval combat in Gens 2 also.
Posted Image

#20 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 17:47

RA2 is cartoony that's why RA3 is. As my family would say 'Stop yer wingin' Gens 2 will hopefully keep the feel of Gens however I fear the addition of a fourth side in the vein that Scrin have been added to CnC Tiberium Series and Empire have joined in on RA.

#21 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 18:28

Well Scrin was technically added in TS, And that was WestWood's idea...So...
Posted Image

#22 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 18:29

Maybe they'll nick one or two ideas from RotR and add Russians.

#23 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 18:31

With all the Russo-Chinese overlap, I expect Europe added instead, it fits into the story as Europe finally getting sick of relying on the US or China to get rid of the GLA and deciding to do it themselves.

#24 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 18:43

That would be great although I hope they're creative enough to make them more than a cheap high tech themed USA knockoff. Oh well, it's still better than in ZH where the whole of Europe fell to the GLA when the US pulled out. As if we couldn't defend ourselves at all. It was rather refreshing that China came in to save the day, though.

Edited by Rayburn, 15 August 2008 - 18:44.

#25 E.V.E.

Femme Fatale Of The Army

• Gold Member
  • 6564 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 19:11

It wouldn't realy make that much sense of EA to make Generals all Cartoonish, they already did that with Red Alert so I'll doubt that they'll also do it with a other Product of theirs.

If they don't keep the Variety up, they can only get one kind of Customer. I for example would give up on Command & Conquer if there would only be Tiberium Sequels coming out.

- E.V.E.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users