Rise of the Reds Recruitment Station N34

179 replies to this topic

#51 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:43

I'll make my decision when we're ready to go. I will be talking to the rest of the team as soon as I can about finalising the rules, but unfortunately my schedule has been put on hold for the last couple of days thanks to having building work done. However I should now be able to participate on an approximately normal basis so the start of the RP is now very close indeed.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#52 Rai

Forum Volcanologist at your service!

• Member Test
  • 859 posts
  • Projects: Volcano researcher and geological services.

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:18

Hmm I didn't quite see Scope's post about him wanting to take that position. Well if he wants to be part of the RP really badly I would be happy to give him that position, but if he doesn't well I would take that position with pride and honor. But still the decision is in your hands JB, who will you choose?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#53 Electron

Visitor

• 29 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 22:28

I cant wait until the rules come out!!! I just hope that the rules actually apply as if we were on the battlefield in realtime.

Well..... mabye i should :P

THE ANTCIPATION..... ITS KILLING YOU!

#54 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 02 February 2009 - 22:44

View PostElectron, on 3 Feb 2009, 9:28, said:

Well..... mabye i should :P
That would probably be a good idea at this point, yes. Don't worry, we're all still actively engaged here and you'll all agree the results are worth it in the short time it takes to sort them out. Until then there's little point commenting unless you have a direct question. But it's good to see your enthusiasm.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#55 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 02 February 2009 - 23:57

Papaya go ahead and take the position yourself. It's fine by me.
Posted Image

#56 Rai

Forum Volcanologist at your service!

• Member Test
  • 859 posts
  • Projects: Volcano researcher and geological services.

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:34

Thank you Scope for the kind thing that you have given to me.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#57 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:49

I do it coz I like you Rai. You've matured since you first joined :P
Posted Image

#58 Electron

Visitor

• 29 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:08

I know that this is kinda off the topic of the Roleplay, but I am hosting a ROTR tourney (unofficial of course), and I would encourage everyone to join. Complete details are here.

http://forum.cncrene...showtopic=30774

#59 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:19

I'm afraid that's, yes, it is totally off-topic, and while I do understand you want to see your tournament successful, it has no relevance to the roleplay, and you need to be aware that doing this sort of thing in the future is not going to be looked very kindly upon.
Also, Centric has informed me that real life commitments mean he is unable to assume the position of Russian Third Officer, so we have another slot for anyone who wants to join. If any of you current Commanders have a burning desire to get an impromptu promotion, now's your time to speak up. Papaya Master Rai, you've also been confirmed as ECA Commander Gamma.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#60 Electron

Visitor

• 29 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 18:07

Yea, sorry about that. Wont happen again.

Hey, Scope, looks like a seat has opened up for ya. :read:

Edited by Electron, 06 February 2009 - 18:08.

#61 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:08

Wow I forgot about this! Yeah I'll go for Russian Officer 3. I'll take a good look at the rules btw and will wait for your update. When do you want to start JB?
Posted Image

#62 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:41

Actually there's probably very little point looking at the rules right now. I'll get everyone to re-read them when the new set is finished anyway. We'll hopefully start sometime in the next few days when I'm done, but as I need to talk to Wizard about a few of the things, windows of opportunity are sometimes few and far between.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#63 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:01

I should be about all day mate, give or take a "brb" or two. We do need to get this sorted out.

#64 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:59

And now... the moment you've all been waiting for...
(Drum roll please)

The...

(Tension chord)

Rules!
(Cymbal crash, jarring chord)

(Okay, so you were probably hoping for a start or something but this is what you get, okay?)
[attachment=6622:Rise_of_...ole_Play.doc]Make sure you have a very thorough read of every section - you'll find that they're a lot more complicated and a lot more specific. There shouldn't be much room for interpretation; if there is, do please let us know, but hopefully we've plugged the gaps from last time.
Wizard gets most of the credit for the fantastic new combat system, and in fact almost all the main changes in here. Remember also that this wouldn't have been possible without Overdose in the first place, so thanks to them both in advance. Remember also that the rule set is flexible and there are changes I may make pending how it all pans out 'in the field' so to speak.
Now, you'll get a couple of days to go over these before game start before the maps are ready. All things being well, we should kick off by the end of the weekend. Good luck, and get reading, soldiers!

Edited by CommanderJB, 15 February 2009 - 00:59.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#65 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 16:22

If any ECA Commanders would like to take my place as an Officer, Speak up, as I feel like being a commander. :sly:
You almost did, didn't you?

#66 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 16:26

I had a feeling that might happen :sly:

#67 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 16:42

Give me a coffee and a day. Having had a quick run-through of the rules, it looks very good, accurate, and well thought out. My only issue being is that there is an awful lot of stuff there, and people are likely to get confused for a while. Once people get to grips though, it should prove to work extremely well. :sly:
For there can be no death without life.

#68 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 17:11

Admittedly it does look rather confusing but it is essentially a "RISK" based system for combat only and I am sure that after 1-2 turns everyone will be up to speed. If anyone needs some clarification or has specific questions then please post away, PM me or JB or ask us on MSN.

#69 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 17:11

AJ, later on we must talk strategy on MSN :sly:

Edit: Maybe we can get someone to make some custom userbars?

Edited by Scope, 11 February 2009 - 17:13.

Posted Image

#70 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 17:15

If we can't crush the ECA we are doing something severely wrong Scope :sly: I'll be around most of the rest of my day so feel free to give me a buzz 8|

And may be worth talking to Comr4de to see if he can adapt the current ROTR userbars. Then we ca ask The DR, and if all else fails Swims/myself will likely be able to whip something up.
For there can be no death without life.

#71 DerKrieger

Hillbilly Gun Nut

• 1758 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 17:58

I wonder why there aren't any fixed wing aircraft units...I suppose they are among the special units or abilities mentioned?
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#72 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 21:47

Basically yes. There are a whole bunch of things we talked about adding, such as customisable bases through the construction of different buildings, housing fighter and bomber wings, a bunch of other unit types and various other methods of RP generation, but in the end we decided 14 pages was long enough. We'll see how things go, though, and I've always intended to make it bigger and better as we go along.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#73 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 23:11

One question on the Attack and Defense stances:

We work with three officers and three commanders, so theoretically three simultaneous attacks can be performed by a side on the same time. The question that remains: Will any of the losses here throw the entire side into defence mode?

And on Movement: What do you mean, infantry is harder to move than a tank squad? Please define that, thanks.

Third: Is it just me, or did you forget defining 'Requisition Point production' in the rules? I'm missing a supply lines description, how that works etcetera. Also, include a stack max of Requisition Points for the General, so that it e.g. cannot have more than (turn production + 100) x 2 resources in store. This forces players to use them.

Fourth: Do not limit phases to time. You have 48 hour turns but limiting certain actions within timespaces of 12 hours kinda undo's this advantage. Just make it able for any player to issue their commands (General -> Officers -> Commanders way of giving orders should be held of course). Only keep to this order of resolve at the end of a turn when performing everything.

Edited by Aftershock, 11 February 2009 - 23:15.

Posted Image

#74 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 23:17

We work with three officers and three commanders, so theoretically three simultaneous attacks can be performed by a side on the same time. The question that remains: Will any of the losses here throw the entire side into defence mode?

Each Commander works independently. If one is defeated only that one is in defence mode.

Third: Is it just me, or did you forget defining 'Requisition Point production' in the rules? I'm missing a supply lines description, how that works etcetera. Also, include a stack max of Requisition Points for the General, so that it e.g. cannot have more than (turn production + 100) x 2 resources in store. This forces players to use them.

You get 100RP per turn, regardless. The idea of supply lines has been removed totally. As for the other idea, this is a valid point which was discussed but merely omitted from the rules.

#75 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 23:36

View PostAftershock, on 12 Feb 2009, 10:11, said:

Each Commander has an individual stance.

And on Movement: What do you mean, infantry is harder to move than a tank squad? Please define that, thanks.
It's a simple logical observation. As forces lose 5RP per each additional territory they move across, we need to define where they lose it from; the formula would be, in terms of mobility, Infantry<Artillery<Tanks<Light Vehicles<Helicopters.

The initial 100 is the only production of RPs. We had considered tying it to bases but in the end this worked best and gave the General something interesting to do. Other than unspent ones from the last turn, 100 is all you get per turn for all powers, bases, and forces, and it's up to the General to decide how he wants to dole them out. There are no longer any supply lines because of the changes in the map.

Fourth: Do not limit phases to time. You have 48 hour turns but limiting certain actions within timespaces of 12 hours kinda undo's this advantage. Just make it able for any player to issue their commands (General -> Officers -> Commanders way of giving orders should be held of course). Only keep to this order of resolve at the end of a turn when performing everything.
If we don't limit phases to time each turn will probably take a week. I want to keep it moving, and 12 hours in every 48 is plenty enough for anyone to take a couple of minutes to post up what they want to do. If we wait for everyone every single turn we'll never get anywhere, so if someone hasn't posted by the end of their slot, the next highest officer takes up the slack as detailed we move right along. We need phases because we need the attackers to say where they're going so the defenders know what to prepare for, and we want the powers to be the last things deployed. We'll see how it goes, and if it's really a problem we might well do something like what you propose, but for the moment at least I'm very loath to making it any slower.

Edited by CommanderJB, 11 February 2009 - 23:40.

Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users