←  News and Announcements

Fallout Studios Forums

»

Design the new Fallout Studios Mascot

This topic is locked

Stinger's Photo Stinger 04 May 2009

Hi everyone,

The Fallout Studios Moderating Team is delighted to announce its plans to create a new Community Mascot and we are inviting you to the table to discuss its conception.

The new Community Mascot will represent Fallout Studios in various mediums so as a guideline the theme should be in line with our Studio name.

Suggestions are not just limited to text descriptions and the a-z of adjectives. We believe a picture is worth a thousand words so we also welcome sketches from our talented forum artists. The best suggestions/concepts will be put to the vote.

Now let's get those creative juices flowing. :)

Stinger, on behalf of the Fallout Studios Moderating Team

WNxMastrefubu's Photo WNxMastrefubu 04 May 2009

so no moar nuclear symbol?

Wizard's Photo Wizard 04 May 2009

Not at all. The symbol will stay, this is something else on top of that.

The nuke symbol, whilst appearing everywhere is unique to each skin set. And with an upcoming new skin there will be a 3rd symbol. The mascot is intended to be a unifying symbol across the whole of the community, be it wiki, forums and whatever else may occur.
Edited by Wizard, 04 May 2009 - 00:59.

will there be a whole new skin dedicated to it? if not where will we see it?

Overdose's Photo Overdose 04 May 2009

In the future, who knows. If we all really like the finished product it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a mascot themed skin.

Wizard's Photo Wizard 04 May 2009

No. The new skin is to replace the old red soviet skin. And the mascot isn't for the skin, it's for the entire set up of Fallout Studios, wiki, forums, site etc. It's use will become considerably more obvious in due time.

Whitey's Photo Whitey 04 May 2009

I see it as a useless addition, to be quite honest.

That said, a devilish figure with a halo seems to represent the board well.

-Rorschach

Alias's Photo Alias 04 May 2009

It's not that bad, Boidy.

It gives us more identity as a community, makes us stand above all the "generic board #4452" nonsense.

Infact, I may even contribute towards this. I see it as a great community initiative.
Edited by Alias, 04 May 2009 - 01:30.

we hav a wiki and many other sweet things to put us apart

Waris's Photo Waris 04 May 2009

I quite like the 'man riding tank' mascot like the one in Newgrounds, but I'm afraid I might not be very original then.

Ideas, ideas...

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 04 May 2009

I do like the idea myself. If I come up with something I'll let you know.

Comr4de's Photo Comr4de 04 May 2009

Well me and Wizard did come up with some ideas but we wish to see what everyone else comes up with :)

Sicarius's Photo Sicarius 04 May 2009

A commando or something wearing a gas mask.

But make it cartoony. :)
Edited by Sicarius, 04 May 2009 - 02:45.

Foxhound's Photo Foxhound 04 May 2009

A...mascot? Seriously?

No offense, but FS hasn't needed a mascot in 5 or 6 years. Why does it need one now?

Really, it just seems to gimmicky to me.

But if there must be one...NO MEMES IN IT, PLEASE
Edited by Foxhound, 04 May 2009 - 03:41.

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 04 May 2009

View PostFoxhound, on 3 May 2009, 23:40, said:

A...mascot? Seriously?

No offense, but FS hasn't needed a mascot in 5 or 6 years. Why does it need one now?

Really, it just seems to gimmicky to me.

But if there must be one...NO MEMES IN IT, PLEASE

At least no chanMemes. I'm ok with a local meme though (like the HellHat :)).

30 minutes in Illustrator gets this basic idea:
Posted Image

I was thinking of having the Thundercats logo as a hat as a tipoff to the old theme, but this is the "new" and there would've been copyright issues as well.
Edited by Alias, 04 May 2009 - 03:53.

NergiZed's Photo NergiZed 04 May 2009

View PostAlias, on 3 May 2009, 23:52, said:

Posted Image

I was thinking of having the Thundercats logo as a hat as a tipoff to the old theme, but this is the "new" and there would've been copyright issues as well.

I like that! That's pretty nice.

I think whatever it is, it prolly needs a guy with a gas-mask. Preferably a cool looking helmit and/or weapon.

Reminds me of Anonymous's logo.

Edit:

Here's an improvement on Alias's idea:

Previous ones:1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Posted Image

Could have some captions of some sort.
Edited by NergiZed, 04 May 2009 - 06:19.

Why exactly would it need a gun and a helmet?

'Fallout' as a word doesn't specify military.

RaiDK's Photo RaiDK 04 May 2009

View PostAlias, on 4 May 2009, 13:52, said:

Posted Image

WINRAR.

Ghostrider's Photo Ghostrider 04 May 2009

Why the gasmask/tie? Don't get me wrong, that does look cool, but I've never come across gas-mask related material on the forums.
I was thinking more along the lines of a vault door, reflecting the name "Fallout Studios" in a subtle way.

Maybe do a rendered version of something like this (this example is ugly, but something along the lines):
Posted Image

It would be easily recognizable no matter the size, and rather unique as well. :)

EDIT: Whatever the decision, I would also enjoy seeing a vote for this.

Edited by Ghostrider, 04 May 2009 - 05:35.

Wi-Ta's Photo Wi-Ta 04 May 2009

I like the idea off a Mascot.
I think a further work out on :) would suit better.
Mascot in Wikki

A Mascot is more like a Tux to me than a guy with gas mask.

Best regards
Wi-Ta

Overdose's Photo Overdose 04 May 2009

I actually liked Alias' idea.

View PostGhostrider, on 4 May 2009, 15:34, said:

Why the gasmask/tie? Don't get me wrong, that does look cool, but I've never come across gas-mask related material on the forums.
I was thinking more along the lines of a vault door, reflecting the name "Fallout Studios" in a subtle way.

Maybe do a rendered version of something like this (this example is ugly, but something along the lines):
*image*

It would be easily recognizable no matter the size, and rather unique as well. :)

EDIT: Whatever the decision, I would also enjoy seeing a vote for this.
How on earth is a vault door a mascot though? Sure it'd work as a logo, but this is more than a logo - a personification of the identity of the forums.

NergiZed's Photo NergiZed 04 May 2009

View PostWi-Ta, on 4 May 2009, 1:36, said:

I like the idea off a Mascot.
I think a further work out on :) would suit better.
Mascot in Wikki

A Mascot is more like a Tux to me than a guy with gas mask.

Best regards
Wi-Ta

Personally, as long as the mascot symbolizes the thing it represents, then it's cool. I don't think a mascot has to be a cartoony thing. Take Uncle Sam for example, he's sort of like the Mascot of America, or how anonymous suit guy is the symbol of anonymous.

Also, 'Mascot' should be spelled Maskot :D

Spelled with a 'k' for extra koolness :D

Also, the Maskot should be alive or something. It can be a vault door, just make sure it has googly eyes on it.
Edited by NergiZed, 04 May 2009 - 05:51.

Sicarius's Photo Sicarius 04 May 2009

Gas masks are pretty much already a symbol of the forum. Since I joined, there has always been at least a few people, at any given point, that incorporated gas masks into thier sigs/avvies. (2 people that posted in this very thread have gas masks in their avatars.) I even remember a topic or two about them, and they also suit the forum name. They just fit.
Edited by Sicarius, 04 May 2009 - 05:55.
This topic is locked