Simcity 4 ( Warning, big images)

441 replies to this topic

#326 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:23

Wow. I got the "BLaM High Capacity Monorail Station", built 3 into my city, and suddendly, commute time took a nose dive with afterburner. It in fact, dropped by 70%.

Do you happen to know any other high capacity stations, prefferably one that doesn't take as much space?

Edited by Sgt. Rho, 08 June 2011 - 04:23.

#327 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:51

I don't really use monorail much, theres a hell of alot of elevated rail stations, but I don't think theres quite as many monorail ones. This should do the trick though - http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/fil...subway-station/ - Bollocks, misread it, that capacity is only 2500.

Some elevated rail stations are also compatible with monorail, so may be worth checking some of those.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 08 June 2011 - 04:59.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#328 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:58

What's the advantage of elevated rails over monorails, other than being able to transit into subway tho?

#329 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:05

Higher capacity I think. It's also had alot more content created for it as elevated rail is very common in Japan. If your sticking with monorail your best bet would be to ask in the simtropolis forums for high capactity, small lot size monorail stations. Heres the thread link - http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/topic/418.../page__st__1890
Posted Image

Posted Image

#330 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:55

Subway map for Eaton (4.2million sims) When I first built this city I used a grid method for my layout which involved going through stations. As I built the city up I changed to use a corridoor and dead end method. The reason the S of the city is so much busier is the influx of 5 large citys with a total population of around 2.9million. You can also see the extensive highway network, though not that clearly. This is using the NAM Ultra traffic simulator, so those subways reach red at 62500 capacity. The game stops registering shortly after 65k, but I believe some of those main subway routes have excess of 200k. I really should improve it, now that I think about it. Commute time for this city? 20mins :D

http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd417/...aton_Subway.jpg

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 09 June 2011 - 05:03.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#331 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 19:35

Heh. I usually build sort of a tree-structure, branching out the deeper into the city it goes.

#332 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 27 June 2011 - 20:02

Alright, dug up this game again, and started with a fresh region. I have 3 cities so far: a sub-urb/commercial city, an industrial zone, and a small city which is supposed to become high-rise stuff. All goes well, but there is no interest in industry, only residential and commercial. On the other hand, a lot of residential areas are jobless. I don't understand: why complain about having no job, while you demand no new industries. The interest in residential zones is sky-high, but I'm afraid to build those because then they won't have any jobs, creating a nice circle...
Any help on this matter?
Posted Image

#333 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 13:47

Do you have predominantly rich sims? They can almost break your city as they only use up a tiny amount of jobs. How it works is that each job category say CO$$$ has different amounts of wealth jobs available eg

A CO$$$ skyscraper has 7500 jobs, 3000 are $ only, 4000 are $$ only and 500 are $$ only. But when building the skyscraper it counts as 7500 demand satisfied even if it is only filled by the R$$$. The way to get around this is to tax the fuck out of R$$$ sims to stop them occuring, as R$$$ buildings will take over the more useful R$ and R$$.

You may also have an overcrowded transport network as the game defaults are set very low, use the NAM to remedy this. What is your average commute time?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#334 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 14:29

You might want to try to get the roads a bit emptier, in case you have high commute time and traffic. Use that 20000-capacity twin-track monorail station, it makes the commute time, and traffic, drop like a rock.

#335 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 18:19

View PostIon Cannon!, on 29 Jun 2011, 14:47, said:

Do you have predominantly rich sims? They can almost break your city as they only use up a tiny amount of jobs. How it works is that each job category say CO$$$ has different amounts of wealth jobs available eg

A CO$$$ skyscraper has 7500 jobs, 3000 are $ only, 4000 are $$ only and 500 are $$ only. But when building the skyscraper it counts as 7500 demand satisfied even if it is only filled by the R$$$. The way to get around this is to tax the fuck out of R$$$ sims to stop them occuring, as R$$$ buildings will take over the more useful R$ and R$$.

You may also have an overcrowded transport network as the game defaults are set very low, use the NAM to remedy this. What is your average commute time?

I already use NAM, so that shouldn't be a problem. I already increased the taxes on R$$$, but I got complaints from the game that I'm now scaring off the rich ppl :sly:
Posted Image

#336 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 20:23

It doesn't matter, the only thing rich people do is give you lots of money. They're picky and limited in the jobs they can take, demand C$$$ which is the worst thing ever and don't use public transport and instead will drive slow cars massive distances, in short, fuck em.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#337 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 20:36

I have a simple question. How do I install a custom region?

#338 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 20:59

Put it in My Documents\SimCity 4\Regions

#339 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 21:03

View PostIon Cannon!, on 29 Jun 2011, 21:23, said:

It doesn't matter, the only thing rich people do is give you lots of money. They're picky and limited in the jobs they can take, demand C$$$ which is the worst thing ever and don't use public transport and instead will drive slow cars massive distances, in short, fuck em.

Got the message. I'll see what happens if I put the taxes at 15% or something 8|
Posted Image

#340 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 21:51

It appears that I need either SC4Mapper or SC4Terraformer to import the regions, but I can't find a link that works D:

#341 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:52

Sorry for the late response, this should do the trick. http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/fil...c4-terraformer/

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 13 July 2011 - 12:55.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#342 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 20:25

View PostIon Cannon!, on 13 Jul 2011, 5:52, said:

Sorry for the late response, this should do the trick. http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/fil...c4-terraformer/

:xD: thanks

#343 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 21:35

In the process of redeveloping one of my first cities. It had a horrible industry/high buildings wall, the layout is boring and it just looks bad. I'm going to reduce the population from 300k to 100k and make it more of a midtown suburb. I may keep the central buisiness area, though I don't think it will fit, I may keep it in a lower less high profile form.

I also want ideas from you guys though, lets have a little bit of interactivity, what do you think I should do with the city? You can get a feel for the boring layout in the below pic. I have trees going through the highway as well - oh dear.

Posted Image

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 25 July 2011 - 21:36.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#344 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 21:43

Get rid of the trees growing through the highway first :D

If you're making it a suburb, IMO re-zone the CBD as you also think it doesn't fit. Maybe zone some mid-density condos instead and make the rest all low-density. And yes I think the industrial has to go. Zone some farms to make it more "realistic" anyone 8|

#345 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:47

Farms, they're pretty impossible to get at my development level unless I download SPAM (Which I will, but I'm not ready to start using it yet) Besides, while this area is a suburbs, it's still urban.

So far.
Reduced population from 300k>200k.
Halved the area of industrial. I want to keep some though as the city is supposed to be a high-tech hub.
Removed 50k commercial jobs.
Began to rework the residential sectors.

Heres a progress shot.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#346 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 18:30

Where'd you get your trees? They look much better than the default (of course >.>).

#347 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 23:08

My trees are cycledogs trees. Usually abbreviated as CP. I think Simtropolis is down at the moment though. But I'll give you the link when its back up. From his many tree sets I use one called "Leafy Green Forest"
Posted Image

Posted Image

#348 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 15:57

Heres some more redevelopment from Rift Valley. This area used to be industrial, but its close proximity to the major population centre of Canyon Creek and its nearby access to the motorway has led to it being chosen as the location for the new football stadium, the regional police HQ was also moved from its old cramped buildings in Downtown Canyon Creek to a purpose built Crime Prevention Centre.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#349 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 19:23

Nice plugins :rotfl:

#350 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 18:32

Heres something I just started working on, it forms a part of the huge swathe of suburbs planned for the NE corner of my region.

In case anyone is interested I started by building the highway (Although in this case the highway was already built, as I built a massive beltway a long time ago) however the highway was raised, so I used hole digger lots to lower the ground by 15M, this allows me to in essence, sink the highway, which makes it less sightly. Next I cross the highway with the intended roads and then use the eyecandy walls to spruce it up, so that it is not just bare earth. The rail cutting from the previous city also continues further up.

After that I knew I wanted a stepped area, so I used the digger lots to raise the ground by 10M, then zoned accordingly. I have a slopemod which smooths the roads/street incline. After that I started to apply the walls, these will eventually be applied to all sides of the raised area. After that was done I placed the hospital, added some parking and then built my split avenue park, though its still not totally finished.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users