Simcity 4 ( Warning, big images)

441 replies to this topic

#351 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5847 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 18:45

The indented highway always looks cool. Its a shame the duel carriageway doesn't split off into symmetrical roads :rotfl:

I don't know what to think about the gray walls, they just look a bit out of place, maybe they need a bit more infrastructure around them.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#352 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 31 July 2011 - 13:25

Heres some newer shots of the same area.

Posted Image
Some close ups.
Posted Image

Posted Image

And this is what it currently looks like
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#353 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 21:07

Had a bit of a disaster, tried to compile most of my simcity plugins into one file which then led to simcity 4 being unable to load. The reason I did this is because as you gain more plugins (Not the size, the amount) the game becomes less stable. I had 6600 files.. split into 1500 folders. I am happy to say though that after reinstalling simcity 4 and packing my plugins in a different way, as well as manually deleting alot of unneccessary files my simcity is once again stable and alot more playable than before. Its down to 4200 files into 1100 folders.

Heres a nice image.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#354 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 18:46

Not seen anyone else post anything for a while, anyway here is more progress of my suburbs. I cocked up the rail a bit, it should flow freely into the other track but instead I had to give it a sharp s-curve. I could fix it, but it would involve relaying most of my railway, and I can't be bothered to do that as of now.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#355 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 14:12

Here is a few pictures from my latest city, I'm really trying to make it look realistic, striking a balance between organisation and nonconformity. It's making a small profit as well D8 It's still a WIP, but I really like how its turned out so far.

Hope you all like it, and comments are welcomed.

First an overview of the currently developed area. Though this is slightly outdated now.
Posted Image

And now some closer shots. This is the latest development, the rest is older. The housing project is only 3 years old.
Posted Image

The same area-ish, but from a different angle.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These two pictures are the newest ones, they show off the most recent developments. Newbury Industrial Estate and the small growing office centre known as Surbiton.

Newbury industrial estate.
Posted Image

A growing small suburban office centre.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#356 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:56

Here is some more from The Spire. Thats the city I showcased in the post just above this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#357 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:01

Double roundabouts? You want to torture your Sims. Admit it :xD:

Looks nice.

#358 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:14

It's alot more efficient than having double intersections, plus I like roundabouts, possible side effect of being British :xD:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#359 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 16:52

In case anyone wants to see what 3.5GB of plugins looks like, here it is. It shows only the buildings, and not the lots, and obviously all texture mods / other random items are not included. I used to a script to plop every single building in my plugins folder, there are some duplicates due to different versions, total loading time was about 15min.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#360 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 13:22

To save me linking many many images and to save you bandwidth, here is a slideshow, the newest slides are the newest pictures. This is all taken from the city journal I now have at simtropolis, have a look if you want :P

-Actually the first pic in the slideshow means nothing, it was illustrating that age demographics have no effect on demand, anyway..

Slideshow - http://s1218.photobu...mview=slideshow
City Journal - http://www.simtropol...2871-the-spire/

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 13 September 2011 - 13:28.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#361 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 20:10

Well I haven't updated or played this for ages, but I will again soon, but heres some of the stuff I have done since. This is just a small sample.. I apologise in advance for destroying your bandwidth.. I don't think I'm actually expecting any comments, but they would be well recieved, still.. 12,500 views speaks for itself :P And of course, if anyone else has been playing this, I would love to see what you've all gotten up to.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And theres alot more where that came from, though I think I'll grant your bandwidth a rest for now.

Actually, just to put this in context most of these pictures are from this city below.

Posted Image

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 28 November 2011 - 20:14.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#362 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 22:27

I gave up, I just can't seem to get the basics down. Gonna stick to my mindless shooting games. :P
Although after seeing what you've done it does make my fingers itch to install the game again, it looks awesome.

How do you actually plan out your zones? I was just slapping down a Residential zone and then throw down a Commercial zone next to it with an Industrial zone a little way away. Doesn't seem to pan out so great in the long run though, I guess I just need to play a lot more and get some trial-error feedback to see what's best?

Posted Image

#363 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 00:56

The first city is always the hardest, my first city is a mess to be honest - functional, but not pretty to look at. However once you get that to a sufficiently large size you can use the demand it creates to kick start cities in whatever way you want in the region.

This city was sort of planned, though really I was just experimenting with interesting and functional transport networks initially.

I started the city something like the below image - first image I posted in this thread incidentally. However this is after upgrading the medium residential to high residential I believe. You can get a good idea of how I started it though. If you find you get strapped for cash, you don't need to actually provide all services, poor sims will still move in even with no healthcare or education. From the picture you can also see I have a large no jobs problem, but over time its possible to sort such things out.

Posted Image

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 29 November 2011 - 01:05.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#364 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:06

When I can get a new desktop (probably a year from now for uni...) I'm off on PC gaming, but yeah, they look gorgeously elegant as always. Planning would be my big issue since my cities would either be too flat or too dense.

#365 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:10

They always are to start, don't worry :) most of my 25 million population region lives in horribly dense unrealistic areas, it has only been the past 6 months I have really tried to make anything look aesthetically pleasing really.

Here is another slightly older - 11 years later - closer shot of the same area Warbz, I used the avenues to channel traffic, which although space wasting was quite effective IIRC.

And a top tip for when you're starting a city, keep an eye on the traffic overlay. Streets will very quickly become congested with even a small amount of development, upgrade them often to roads - which have 10x the capacity. I should also note that I have used the Ultra NAM traffic simulator for most of my cities, as it ups the max capacity of each transport network so that it is actually able to handle large populations. Although the default game is built so that your supposed to dense up, the traffic simulator was not built for it.

Posted Image

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 29 November 2011 - 01:20.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#366 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:06

Is there any reason why you have many varying types of bridges on the left? Seems like iw would be better just to have 2 or 3 of the more high capacity bridges to make it appear more aesthetically pleasing?

Posted Image

#367 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 16:16

No reason no, except to provide more options to get over the river. I probably would have just joined it with a few avenue bridges now. Bridge capacity is all the same, its based on the transport network that you use. I also had a small and completely unused rail system - because at this point I had no idea how to use one properly, now my inter-rail network boasts about 200k passengers travelling between 12 cities.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#368 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:12

As my more recent updates should show, I've become a bit of a rail fanatic. Heres something I did today - well yesterday.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#369 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:43

That's...railing awesome :P

I think I'll reinstall SimCity 4. I should still have my cities and all the downlloaded content.

Edit: Yup, still have my cities.

Posted Image

Edited by Sgt. Rho, 03 December 2011 - 15:23.

#370 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 15:53

Thats one of the best things about this game, you can always go back and do more. I have been back and forth on this game for so long now. Usually what gets me back into it is seeing pictures of other peoples work.

Anyway, heres some more. You may recognise this, but its been redeveloped significantly, still lots to do though.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#371 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 13:11

Seeing these screens always makes me want to play this game. Shame that it fuxxes up hugely on my system :(

#372 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 13:29

There are certain things you can do to normally stop those issues. Do you have graphical artifacts?

And here is another picture, now comes the fun part. I have to try and integrate rail into my old cities - they're denser than a chav who has just had a lobotomy. Time for massive restructuring methinks...

Posted Image

And to give you an idea of the region atm, and the task ahead of me.. here is a current region overview. You may notice the highways appear black and red, and the same for the rail, this is because tiles that haven't been opened and saved since I switched the legend will display the old colour scheme. These probably won't be full size, as I imagine forum software will shrink them.

aerial view.
Posted Image

transport view.
Posted Image

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 05 December 2011 - 13:41.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#373 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 13:32

View PostIon Cannon!, on 05 December 2011 - 13:29, said:

There are certain things you can do to normally stop those issues. Do you have graphical artifacts?

I believe I do, amongst other issues. Do you have the solution or a link to it?

#374 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 13:55

Have you tried turning shadows off and using software rendering? Additionally, what resolution does it play at?
Oh, and you have the steam version correct?

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 05 December 2011 - 13:56.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#375 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 14:00

1. Doubtful, I'll try it.
2. Best resolution that it offers me, not sure what it is.
3. Yes.

I'll take a look tonight.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users