CoD: Black Ops announced

963 replies to this topic

#551 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:42

I'll look over some reviews first before I'm even gonna think of buying Black-Ops. I bought MW2 in a overzealous "do want" spree and I still regret it 'till this day.
Posted Image

#552 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 23:58

I do have to say, there's a whole bunch of tiny things you can nag about, and there is a major malfunction in that it was extremely badly coded for the pc, where it puts almost all its weight on your processor. So unless you have a really high-end PC, you're going to suffer MAJOR internal lag. My game runs at 10-5 FPS for the most part, and about halfway through a match it stabilises this to 40-50 FPS. This is in offline practice mode: in online mode, it is significantly worse. Treyarch are looking into this apparently, and I assume they are trying to churn out a patch.

I'd say hold out until they release this patch, and then you should really consider looking into this. I found they did a LOT of good things and shifted their arses into top gear after all the comments on their reveal trailers because even though there's a bunch of MW2 glitches still in there, they fixed a LOT of things the community told them were wrong. Another funny note is that they took over an extreme amount of CoD 4 stuff so the game feels much more like you're playing CoD 4 and not MW2, as many suggested. I dare say they really came through there. If they can do it again by stabilising the game for the weaker comps, I'll heavily recommend this.

At the moment I'm entertaining myself in the offline practice mode against bots. It's really really laggy at the start, but once the game stabilises it's a lot of fun, and I am using it even more than I thought I would originally (which is saying something).

For all the skeptics: the campaign may be rather meh and occasionally a bit irritating (though one of the level tracks is completely awesome), but the MP game seems pretty well-designed to be honest.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#553 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 00:53

Indeed. MP is fun atm. The maps are of much more fun that MW2 and the game does have more to it than it's last incarnation. Lag is a big factor atm. There are many moments where it does affect the gameplay, even with a ping below 50 (which I've never had it above yet). The games just stutters.... :xD:

I do like the purchase options for attachments and equipment much more than the standard level up format. Although it's a pain buying each attachment for each gun you have. You should be able to sell off old attachments for something like 50% of the purchase costs etc.

Overall, looking promising. Hope they patch it soon, there are a hell of a lot of people who are bitching about it. And it is balanced for lean :P

#554 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:17

View PostWizard, on 10 Nov 2010, 11:53, said:

And it is balanced for lean :P

HELL TO THE YEAH

Oh, and it's Metascore (based on 6 reviews at the time of this post) ain't too shabby either.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#555 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:51

As a caveat I do have to say Treyarch pulled the trick again where some weapons are outmatched in every single way way again :P . And a bunch are identical.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#556 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:23

Hmm...I have...$10 out of $76.90 dollars assembled. I don't think I'll regret getting Black Ops though...hopefully they patch that stuff up before I get it :P

I wonder if I should use an MG as my primary...
Posted Image

#557 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:40

View PostDestiny, on 10 Nov 2010, 9:23, said:

Take a look and see if you want to

Posted Image

#558 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:42

View PostChyros, on 10 Nov 2010, 8:51, said:

As a caveat I do have to say Treyarch pulled the trick again where some weapons are outmatched in every single way way again :xD: . And a bunch are identical.

Perhaps because some of these weapons are outmatched in real life as well? For instance, no one except the French would use the famas over an M4 if given the choice :P

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#559 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:46

oh by the way, they really got rid of the quickscoping and other retarded scope-tricks :xD: snipers are now what they should be: long-range support.

youtube is full of absolutely butthurt people complaining THERES NO SKILL INVOLVED IT'S JUST LUCK :P
it's time to wake up

#560 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:46

View PostWizard, on 10 Nov 2010, 20:40, said:

View PostDestiny, on 10 Nov 2010, 9:23, said:

Take a look and see if you want to

Or just try the guns for yourself and make your primary the one that gets you kills most easily :P
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#561 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:37

So....how do I read that, Wiz? :P
Posted Image

#562 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:41

View PostDestiny, on 10 Nov 2010, 11:37, said:

No idea, perhaps making a prayer to Cthulhu or something?

Anyway, You guys sure seem positively surprised, I heard the singleplayer should be good, is it?

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#563 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:48

View PostDestiny, on 10 Nov 2010, 10:37, said:

Damage starts at one amount of damage, decreases over a certain range and continues at a lower damage.
The Red line indicates the basic damage. The Green line indicates damage range with a silencer (or the Python's Snub Nose).
Certain body parts multiply damage from attacks.
Note that the L96A1 has an extra damage modifier. The shoulders and biceps also take 1.5x damage.

A weapon's Hip Spread is determined by a minimum and maximum cone of fire in degrees from the center of the screen.
Shotguns from the hip are much less accurate than they used to be before. Aim down the sights with them to make them a bit more effective.

Recoil is an area within four points and the random chance of the weapon kicking in those directions.
Working against the recoil is Center Speed which is an arbitrary number. Higher Center Speed means faster recovery.

A weapon's Fire Time is the time between each shot.
Divide 60 by the Fire Time and you get the Rounds Per Minute.

Each weapon has a specific Reload Time for partial and Empty magazines.
For both of these reloads is the Add Time, the point where the Ammo Counter changes.
The Add Time indicates the point where you can cancel the reload animation and still have a reloaded weapon.
Some shotguns and the Python reload one round at a time. The first round takes longer than the following rounds.
The Python's Speed Loader time is also indicated in place of the Add Time (which is irrelevant for the Python).

Raise Time and Drop Time are the lengths it takes to put away one weapon and take out another.
Combine one gun's Drop with another's Raise to see how long it will take.
NOTE: Switching from one weapon to a Pistol will cause your weapon in hand to use Quick Drop, only 0.25 of a second.

Aim Down Sights takes a moment before the sighted accuracy takes effect after pressing the ADS button.

Depending on the Primary weapon you're carrying, your character will have his base running speed changed.

Help?

#564 Stalker

All Purpose ZH Modder

• Project Team
  • 568 posts
  • Projects: secret stuff.

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:01

View PostCamille, on 10 Nov 2010, 10:46, said:

oh by the way, they really got rid of the quickscoping and other retarded scope-tricks :P snipers are now what they should be: long-range support.

And how did that guy kill me then in my first game?

They made it harder, but they definetly didn't get entirely rid of quickscoping

Also does anyone else think that akimbo scorpions are the new glocks? And a 2 shot in close range? -.-

Edited by Stalker, 10 November 2010 - 12:01.

Posted Image

#565 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:03

View PostStalker, on 10 Nov 2010, 12:01, said:

Also does anyone else think that akimbo scorpions are the new glocks? And a 2 shot in close range? -.-

Quite possibly. I'd say their effective range would temper the damage, but if you're running akimbo with them let's face it you're not going to be engaging at more than sneeze range anyway. Luckily enough I haven't come across them yet. Sure I will by the end of the day :P

#566 Stalker

All Purpose ZH Modder

• Project Team
  • 568 posts
  • Projects: secret stuff.

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:17

TBH I was the only one using it.

I was a bit frustrated after loosing my first games. :P

I was good at fast aiming/shooting in MW2 but this doesn't really work that good in BO since you do less damage without stopping power. It's more about spraying this time.

I guess I should play Combat Training first.
Posted Image

#567 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 20:14

View PostCJ, on 10 Nov 2010, 11:42, said:

View PostChyros, on 10 Nov 2010, 8:51, said:

As a caveat I do have to say Treyarch pulled the trick again where some weapons are outmatched in every single way way again |8 . And a bunch are identical.

Perhaps because some of these weapons are outmatched in real life as well? For instance, no one except the French would use the famas over an M4 if given the choice :P
What kind of stupid reason is THAT?! We want a weapon in, but we don't want it to hav any chance because balance is not fun? Or something? I don't really see what the big disadvantage of every weapon having a fair chance is.

View PostDestiny, on 10 Nov 2010, 12:37, said:

So....how do I read that, Wiz? :xD:
That chart is incredibly incomplete. The only things you can accurately judge from that is damage; even range will be very misleading for people unfamiliar with CoD 4 mapping. All other variables are much more complicated than it might appear on the chart too, and it's very misleading if you don't know your way around it.

View PostWizard, on 10 Nov 2010, 14:03, said:

View PostStalker, on 10 Nov 2010, 12:01, said:

Quite possibly. I'd say their effective range would temper the damage, but if you're running akimbo with them let's face it you're not going to be engaging at more than sneeze range anyway. Luckily enough I haven't come across them yet. Sure I will by the end of the day :xD:
Well, that's a perfect example of why that chart is borderline worthless. The hip spread from akimbo Skorpions is enormous, almost as huge as a sniper rifle's, and the range at which it does 50 damage is hardly past knifing range.

Edited by Chyros, 10 November 2010 - 20:19.

TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#568 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 11 November 2010 - 00:01

After playing for 10 hours today I decided once I reached lvl 33 I would stop playing :D

Found the GALIL with the reflex sight to be QUITE useful to say the least. Before that I was having fun with the AKu and the MAC11.

Its great having that ACOG-ed python, has proved very handy (and supremely accurate 0.o)

edit: Also all the maps seem to be pretty good, not been one when Im all "OH NOT THIS MAP" etc

Edited by Pav:3d, 11 November 2010 - 00:11.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#569 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 13:41

Jesus christ the Soyuz mission on veteran CANNOT be completed...I've wasted three or more hours in that goddamn tunnel and gave up and raged and turned it down to Recruit :D
Posted Image

#570 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 14:27

To be honest I found the campaign a lot more annoying tan anything else.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#571 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 14:34

I doubt I will even get beyond the 4th/5th level I am at. Would rather play MP. Although, ofc, I will be playing zombie mode :D

#572 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 17:01

View PostWizard, on 11 Nov 2010, 16:34, said:

I doubt I will even get beyond the 4th/5th level I am at. Would rather play MP. Although, ofc, I will be playing zombie mode :P
The intro movie to Zombies is quite funny :D . Haven't tried the mode itself though.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#573 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 17:32

WTF is with all this lag? Am I reading the in game ping level wrong? Looks like the higher your number the more likely you are to kill someone else and therefore the more your screen rate drops massively in the killcam :D

#574 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 17:59

That's a normal problem, The game lags incredibly much on PC, I think Treyarch is getting a fix on it soon.

Edited by SquigPie, 11 November 2010 - 17:59.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#575 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 18:01

Regardless of the game lagging horribly and freezing up everything is OP and I can't kill anyone :D

:P
Posted Image

66 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 66 guests, 0 anonymous users