Gens 2 Wishlist

160 replies to this topic

#1 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts
  • Projects: NLS + Situation Zero

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:12

Although it's not officially announced there has been alot of talks about it on the C&C Forums so I just wanted to ask what do you want in Generals 2?

Personally I want:

Individual Infantry: ( Maybe some Squads but done right)
Most Iconic units + Upgrades from ZH
Supply docks + Tech buildings from ZH back
Building on water/Navy like in RA3
Good music
Original factions with maybe 1 or 2 new ones
A good counter system like in RA3 or vZH/vGens.
No spammy gameplay like C&C3
EA to delay the release if theres any problems (I doubt this would happen but....)
Good and frequent support (As Stinger did say the support for RA3 was good but I think it may be short lived... :P )
And most of all EA to not rush this out the door ZH was a real disappointment (Doubt this will happen though)

Well that's what I pretty much what do you folks want?
Posted Image

#2 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:13

Good netcode.

Posted Image

#3 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:42

How about an actual storyline - you know, where something actually happens? I know a lot of games fall into the 'here's a war, now go fight it' trap, but EA has unlimited room to move here and I really want to see them do this well. Keep the news-styled mission briefings, they were a nice touch which suited the setting nicely, but diversify the story content. I'm not looking for a Blizzard story epic, but it's one of the most compelling reasons to play games I know.

Other than that, someone has to do dynamic weather and terrain deformation in combo, and I'd like to see it here. WiC proved the latter at least is an easy and effective tool for making a battlefield seem that much more real without mucking with gameplay beyond a few neat tactical options.

Overall, I know reforming the approach to a C&C game is a tricky step to take, but they have to do it or they'll get pilloried in the reviews next time they release something which is a remake with new shiny bits added (though RA3 was IMO hit too hard - they never seemed to notice the by all reports flawless navy-land integration and handily overlooked co-op when labelling it as 'more of the same'). And if there's one universe they can try it in, that's Generals.

Edited by CommanderJB, 18 December 2008 - 12:45.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 18 December 2008 - 13:18

Basically what is said, and it would be much better for the modding community if all the models and codes aren't compiled into an unreadable mesh. C&C3 had it, and its modding community is almost non-existent. Simply because this makes partial conversions very hard to make, and normally most mods are partial conversions.

I would also like a version of SAGE that is much more stable than the ZH one. Currently, it crashes without obvious reasons sometimes, especially in a big mod. No, I would not like SAGE to be replaced by something else, it's a good engine mostly other than the stability. Code originally intended for other SAGE games should be left behind so that modders can have fun with it.

Finally, if SAGE was open-sourced.... Just think of the possibilities....

#5 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 18 December 2008 - 13:38

Aslong as there's china, Im happy

Also no random MM's, SE's etc

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 13:40

Simply because this makes partial conversions very hard to make

Uhm, no, it does not. It does not at all. One code line in one XML (per used XML file) is all, and the compiler.

EDIT: And the built-in mod switcher :P

Edited by Sgt. Rho, 18 December 2008 - 13:41.

#7 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 13:59

- Stick to the mood of the original games i.e. don't make it a blooming rainbow lollipop like RA3 or a depressing, brown dystopia like C&C3.

- Come up with an actual storyline and a few characters instead of giving us just a bunch of uninspired scenarios ripped from the headlines.

- Longer, more diverse campaigns for all factions.

- Have some sort of world domination mode but don't make it as dry and clumsy as it was in C&C3

- No super units, epic units, or whatever you want to call these silly things

- Use the original in-game general selection system and implement generals from the start instead of releasing them in an expansion;
also, these generals should have more differences than just bonuses and half a handful of tacky special units. Make their themes more distinctive.

- What JB said about destructible terrain.

- If you can't finish the game on schedule, delay it instead of knowingly releasing
some half-arsed piece of software that needs like three patches within the first week.

- No navies/swimming bases; if you want to do something with ships, limit their role to support powers and map objects.
Amphibious units are okay as well, just don't make them as predominant as they were in RA3 though.

- Keep the original factions and add one, maybe two new ones.

- Stop constantly re-updating SAGE and finally come up with a NEW engine

- No DRM; if you can't work your way around that, at least cut the bullshit about limited installs FROM THE BEGINNING.

- Do not make an entirely new C&C like 2 years after the release of this one;
allow the game to establish itself in order for a proper modding community to form

- Support said community by releasing decent tools and updating the game
regularly instead of just ceasing patch support once you want to sell your next game

- A built-in mod selector

Edited by Rayburn, 18 December 2008 - 14:04.

#8 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 14:15

View PostSgt. Rho, on 18 Dec 2008, 21:40, said:

Simply because this makes partial conversions very hard to make

Uhm, no, it does not. It does not at all. One code line in one XML (per used XML file) is all, and the compiler.

EDIT: And the built-in mod switcher :P

I'm not talking code-wise here. It's very hard to add small little things to the in-game models. If you're lucky, the model is in the Art Pack EA released, if not you have to use the attach to a bone from another module code. Since you can't view the model and their pivot, you have no idea what your unit will look like until it's in-game.

#9 Waris

Endless Sip

• Gold Member
  • 7458 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days, DTU Donutin Council Co-Chairman

Posted 18 December 2008 - 14:52

View PostRayburn, on 18 Dec 2008, 21:59, said:

- Stop constantly re-updating SAGE and finally come up with a NEW engine

Over 9000 this.

#10 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 18 December 2008 - 14:59

A new engine would be interesting as they might render SAGE open-source which would lead to infinitely better possibilities for ZH mods to overcome hard-coded elements.
Anyway, I agree with most of what has been said but like Rayburn, I don't think a full navy would fit well in the Generals universe. Perhaps some small amphibious units as well as small boats for coastal operations but no cruisers and battleships etc...
I would also love a non-linear campaign that follows the format of the "Conquer the World" campaigns in Rise of Nations sort of. As US for example, you would do police action whereas GLA would try to incite rebellion etc...
Posted Image

#11 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 16:29

-A great soundtrack that can top Red Alert 3's (although I don't think this is possible).
-A real world, modern combat setting.
-Death to VTOLS.
-The return of China, the GLA and USA.
-What I would like to see for a change is EA not splitting the community by creating an expansion pack (a standalone release) that allows players of the base game to play with the people who bought the expansion, like Relic has done with their RTS titles. Of course for this to work properly it would require a lot of thinking.

#12 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 16:37

``-Death to VTOLS.´´

Fuck YES! Sure, VTOLs are easier to control but what the hell, it's getting old by now; don't make it TOO easy, EA...

Also, I'd like to see a return of the Generals build/resource system. It may have alienated the game from the rest of the franchise
but I think we all managed to get over that. I like that Generals was actually different gameplay-wise, not just with the setting.

Edited by Rayburn, 18 December 2008 - 16:39.

#13 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 18 December 2008 - 16:45

- Atmosphere. Not just saying "here's a war with some countries and terrorists and stuff".
- Naval battles, but with restrictions. Bases should always be built on land, and maps should be EITHER water OR land focussed, not a mishmash of the two.
- No cartooney, japanime sides. I want believable fiction that leaves scope for awesome ideas, but not transformers/mind control/battleships with tracks.
- No super units outside the single player campaign, with the possible exception of hero infantry units like Burton/Lotus/Kell.
- Subfactions (ie generals) come with the original game and not an expansion. An expansion pack ought to be like ROTR in that it adds new factions rather than subfactions (Europe/Russia anyone?).
- No aliens. At all.
- Destructible terrian.
- NEW ENGINE!
- Modability. This means having the files able to be easily accessed, the models easily opened in an editor, and a timely release for an SDK.
- I don't give a shit about which celebs you have got to be in the mission briefings.
- Mod selector.
- Expansion and base-game online compatability. Players of the expansion should have extra faction options or something.
- Patches!
- No DRM

#14 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 16:55

View PostStinger, on 19 Dec 2008, 0:29, said:

-Death to VTOLS.

This. VTOLS just look.... stupid. The conventional aircraft of Generals are way cooler than that.

#15 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 17:01

None of that stupid Border crap around selected units like they had in RA3. I don't want to have to Zoom in either to get a good look at the detail on my units.

If they can bring graphic and model detail up to a WiC/CoH standard i'll be really happy.

I'd also like to see the return of some classic Generals units, The Iconic units for each faction. Possibly updated or upgraded.
Posted Image

#16 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 17:36

-10 times higher level on the tactical part. The tank that shoots best shall win, not the one that shoots first.
-new engine (or a 100% recoded SAGE :P)
-a bit more eye candy (and I don't mean normal maps, specular maps and EPIC bloom with that!)
-the generals ressource system
-Story!Story!Story!Story!Story!Story!Story!Story!
-files as accesible as in Generals.

#17 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 18 December 2008 - 17:39

An option to disable superweapons would be very nice :P

Edited by Dutchygamer, 18 December 2008 - 17:40.

Posted Image

#18 Pandut

Abdomen and some dried fish.

• Project Team
  • 1261 posts
  • Projects: Frontlines and European Conflict

Posted 18 December 2008 - 19:27

-New generals
-GLA stolen\modified weapons general
-New/better music
-New factions
-Better sounds
-Harder AI
-Buildable carpet bombing aircraft
Formerly Sobek

#19 Erik

Feels green.

• Project Leader
  • 978 posts
  • Projects: ZH: Frontlines

Posted 18 December 2008 - 19:50

A good counter system like in RA3RA3 or vZH/vGens.

you mean peacekeepers contering everything when massed? or tanks just running over any missile infantry?

#20 Jordan

Crazy Modder

• Gold Member
  • 2704 posts
  • Projects: C&C Crazy Mod Leader

Posted 18 December 2008 - 20:16

My list:
1. Get rid of the stupid pathfinding problems.
2. Get rid of the 128 upgrade limit.
3. Proper IFV logic with an unlimited number of possible passengers.
4. Allow for addition of more than three weapons on a unit.
5. Allow for addition of more than two turrets on a unit.
6. More than just three difficulty selections.
7. Multiple AI personalities. (Turtle, Steamroller, etc.)
8. Ability to make cluster missiles and carpet bombing aircraft which transfer experience to the units that drop the bombs.
9. Similar modding style to the original ZH, with INI's and .big files.
10. No permanent compilation for mods.
11. Global Conquest mode.
12. Support for Naval Yard structures.
13. Correctly scaled infantry with decent resolution textures.

I'm looking at it from more of a modder's perspective.
C&C Crazy Mod Version 0.55
^^^^The True Crazy Mod Starts Here^^^^
Posted Image

#21 Jazzie Spurs

[Pantsu-Dan]

• Project Team
  • 4073 posts
  • Projects: Commanding the ECA 33rd Ground Assault Team.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 20:32

View PostJordan, on 18 Dec 2008, 21:16, said:

My list:
1. Get rid of the stupid pathfinding problems.
2. Get rid of the 128 upgrade limit.
3. Proper IFV logic with an unlimited number of possible passengers.
4. Allow for addition of more than three weapons on a unit.
5. Allow for addition of more than two turrets on a unit.
6. More than just three difficulty selections.
7. Multiple AI personalities. (Turtle, Steamroller, etc.)
8. Ability to make cluster missiles and carpet bombing aircraft which transfer experience to the units that drop the bombs.
9. Similar modding style to the original ZH, with INI's and .big files.
10. No permanent compilation for mods.
11. Global Conquest mode.
12. Support for Naval Yard structures.
13. Correctly scaled infantry with decent resolution textures.

I'm looking at it from more of a modder's perspective.

This.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImageBlack Lagoon OST
Posted Image

#22 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 18 December 2008 - 20:37

Wishlist: NO Gens II :P
Posted Image

#23 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 21:02

lolipop bug. :P

Meh, most of what I want is already up there. Although the ships...hmm...at least 1/3 of the size they are ATM will be nice. Buildings that can be built on water. Flying dozer to build, of course.
Posted Image

#24 E.V.E.

Femme Fatale Of The Army

• Gold Member
  • 6564 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 21:05

I agree pretty much with everyone in here.

What I don't want is a SCUD Bug.

- E.V.E.

Posted Image

#25 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 18 December 2008 - 21:07

new engine, no aroura and EUROPE. how many times can they mention a place in the plot and make it UNPLAYABLE!
Attached Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users