441 replies to this topic

#176 Genrail

Semi-Pro

• Project Team
  • 234 posts
  • Projects: Private Map Contractor

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:44

My very poor attempt at a good city. :xD:

But, mine doesn’t even come near as good as your guys.

City Of David:

Cash: $4,000,000,000,000 {Ya i know its alot}
Pop: 35,000 {Ya i know its NOT alot :D}
Posted Image

:xD: little "Lair" thing in the volcano,
This place still exists?

#177 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 24 December 2010 - 13:11

View PostSgt. Rho, on 23 Dec 2010, 21:03, said:

I found that zoning some commercial as close as possible to the jobless area helps, usually. If nothing helps: Demolish and let it rebuild.

Yeah I did that, it still abandons. So I rezoned it as commercial.

@Genrail, its hard to see much of your city, as your detail level is low. If your having performance issues, turn off shadows. Thats what makes mine stutter somewhat at high populations, everything else is on high generally.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 24 December 2010 - 13:12.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#178 Genrail

Semi-Pro

• Project Team
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 16:36

A few Additions and my pop is at 45k now :xD:

Posted Image
This place still exists?

#179 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 17:33

View PostGenrail, on 24 Dec 2010, 16:36, said:

A few Additions and my pop is at 45k now :xD:

Posted Image

You appear to have large scale abandonment issues. Have you installed the NAM? If you have, I think you just need another transport route. Oh and anything more than low res on streets needs to be roads. Roads have 10x the capacity of streets.

Try running something between the back of your residential area and your industrial area. To the left of the lake. That should reduce commute time significantly, if thats the problem anyway.

Oh and whats your average commute time? You can see it in graphs in case you didn't know already.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 24 December 2010 - 17:37.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#180 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 18:47

His top left part of the city is....smoggy O.o
Posted Image

#181 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 19:18

View PostDestiny, on 24 Dec 2010, 18:47, said:

His top left part of the city is....smoggy O.o

Thats dirty/manufacturing industry for you :xD: - I've built a port area which is dominated by dirty industry. I'll show that at another time. But on the region map its the most westerly tile, on the edge of the region.

I haven't shown any region shots for a while, so heres an update. The blank-ish tile in the middle used to have lots of dirty industrial jobs, but I'm going to redevelop it as a residential / high tech / services tile.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#182 Genrail

Semi-Pro

• Project Team
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 20:16

I just reinstalled SimCity4 I cant get NAM :xD:

Edited by Genrail, 24 December 2010 - 21:03.

This place still exists?

#183 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 21:15

View PostGenrail, on 24 Dec 2010, 20:16, said:

Yes you can :D http://www.simtropol...ls.cfm?id=21355
Posted Image

Posted Image

#184 Genrail

Semi-Pro

• Project Team
  • 234 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:06

View PostIon Cannon!, on 24 Dec 2010, 15:15, said:

Yes you can :xD: http://www.simtropol...ls.cfm?id=21355

No I literally CANNOT I only have SimCity4 and that’s it, no expansion packs, :D half of it sucks because it crashes my game when I use it.
This place still exists?

#185 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:30

View PostGenrail, on 26 Dec 2010, 5:06, said:

View PostIon Cannon!, on 24 Dec 2010, 15:15, said:

Yes you can |8 http://www.simtropol...ls.cfm?id=21355

No I literally CANNOT I only have SimCity4 and that’s it, no expansion packs, :xD: half of it sucks because it crashes my game when I use it.

Ah, you should buy Rush Hour then ^

Heres some pics from Charleston, same location but one taken during the day and one taken during the night.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#186 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 28 December 2010 - 17:34

These images really make me want to reinstall SC4 again... I already have so many games to play at this moment :xD:
Posted Image

#187 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 17:41

View PostDutchygamer, on 28 Dec 2010, 17:34, said:

These images really make me want to reinstall SC4 again... I already have so many games to play at this moment :xD:

I think its fair to say, I'm really addicted to it at the moment... Nobody else is really posting images though, so the topic feels somewhat redundant. Unless people are happy just looking at what I'm wasting my time on that is. I have alot more I can post :xD:

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 28 December 2010 - 17:41.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#188 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 28 December 2010 - 18:49

I have a problem since the last Avira update: Since I've updated Avira, SC4 refuses to start, because Avira seems to block it...

#189 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 18:59

View PostSgt. Rho, on 28 Dec 2010, 18:49, said:

I have a problem since the last Avira update: Since I've updated Avira, SC4 refuses to start, because Avira seems to block it...

Can you not stop Avira form blocking it? Generally theres a manual over-ride of these things.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#190 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 19:08

I tried. I fixed it by killing Avira, and going with Avast instead.

#191 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5847 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 19:16

View PostIon Cannon!, on 28 Dec 2010, 17:41, said:

View PostDutchygamer, on 28 Dec 2010, 17:34, said:

I think its fair to say, I'm really addicted to it at the moment... Nobody else is really posting images though, so the topic feels somewhat redundant. Unless people are happy just looking at what I'm wasting my time on that is. I have alot more I can post :xD:

I don't mind you posting your images, they are pretty cool.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#192 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 20:12

This will be a big image update. Showing off my new port /dirty industrial area Inkleborough. It has 380k low wealth residents who all have awful life expentancy due to the amount of pollution in the air. Inkleborough is also home to two oil refinerys. Studholme Refinery and the Optex Refinery. I'm also shrinking the images in size a bit so they aren't as bandwidth heavy or require scrolling for those with smaller monitors. The images were 1680x1050, now they're 1280x1024. Hopefully they won't distort.

This is the Studholme Refinery, I forgot to download something so the flare stack looks a little odd. This is an old-ish image, its fixed now.
Posted Image

The Studholme Refinery at night.
Posted Image

Another angle of the Studholme Refinery.
Posted Image

An overview of the initial development at night, this is an older shot. Since then alot of development has occurred.
Posted Image

Steel Mills and Schwartz Chemicals with some other large manufacturing buildings.
Posted Image

The same area at night. I just noticed the steel mill seems to shutdown at night, have to fix that.
Posted Image

An overview of Inkleborough 100 years after the oil industry first set up. The low wealth residents are tightly packed in and live in pretty awful conditions. To the right you can see the much larger Optex Refinery, it was built shortly after the initial development was created, this spurred growth which brought in some large steel companys. In addition nearby Charleston found the solution to their poverty stricken neighbourhoods. Demolish them and rebuild them near the industrial sector. The low wealth neighbourhoods in Charleston were sold off to wealthy property developers and Charleston now boasts a very high average income and very low crime rate. Ahh progress.
Posted Image

The South bank of the river at night.
Posted Image

A close up of the large steel mill and treatment plants.
Posted Image

An overview of the north bank industrial site.
Posted Image

The newest addition to .the industrial landscape. Originally this land was designated as parkland, but with the proximity of so much heavy industry this idea was abandoned and the area was sold off for development
Posted Image

The new development at night.
Posted Image

This is the Optex Refinery, which is much larger than the Studholme one. the nighlights aren't so great though so I won't be showing that. You may also notice the flare stack now has a proper platform at the bottom, as it should have in the first place. You may notice the massive steel mill has gone. I deleted it because I need to fix it, its currently showing 0 jobs.
Posted Image

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 28 December 2010 - 20:19.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#193 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 20:48

You need to write a book. 'Ion Cannon!'s guide to awesome cities'.

About the refinery: is that complex made of several 'sub-stations' or is it one huge thingy with incorporated roads?

Edited by Sgt. Rho, 28 December 2010 - 20:49.

#194 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 28 December 2010 - 20:51

Excuse me for "hijacking" your thread, but SimCity is actually on sale on Steam for 2.5€ with it's expansion, I'm buying it right now since I lost my old copy :xD:

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#195 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 22:00

View PostSgt. Rho, on 28 Dec 2010, 20:48, said:

You need to write a book. 'Ion Cannon!'s guide to awesome cities'.

About the refinery: is that complex made of several 'sub-stations' or is it one huge thingy with incorporated roads?

Thanks, its several lots put together. Link is below if your interested - (You need to be registered on the SC4 devotion LEX to get it annoyingly. Unlike simtropolis SC4D uses a different login for forums and the file exchange, which is fucking annoying. Though theres alot of stuff on SC4D you can't get anywhere else.

http://sc4devotion.c...php?lotGET=1549 - It also has a shitload of dependency files which you also have to download.

Np CJ, thats a worthy hijack, everyone should buy it :xD:

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 28 December 2010 - 22:05.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#196 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 00:25

Posted Image

My humble region, so far.

Arcadia is mixed RCI, and provides the power, water and garbage storage for the current 3 cities. Also has a seaport and an airport.
Dirtcity is all industrial, about 50/50 ID and IM. And has a seaport.
New City is all Residential.

Also I have a extensive subway and bus network, using the roadtop bus stops and subway stations in Dirtcity, and both normal and roadtop stops in Arcadia, no such stuff in New City yet.

Edited by Sgt. Rho, 29 December 2010 - 00:29.

#197 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:18

View PostSgt. Rho, on 29 Dec 2010, 0:25, said:

Posted Image

My humble region, so far.

Arcadia is mixed RCI, and provides the power, water and garbage storage for the current 3 cities. Also has a seaport and an airport.
Dirtcity is all industrial, about 50/50 ID and IM. And has a seaport.
New City is all Residential.

Also I have a extensive subway and bus network, using the roadtop bus stops and subway stations in Dirtcity, and both normal and roadtop stops in Arcadia, no such stuff in New City yet.

Roadstop mass transit stops are a life saver. Though my first cities still have maxis ones :xD:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#198 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:52

Posted Image

Update: I have now a solar and nuclear powerplant in Arcadia, all cities exept Smallville have the subway, haven't done anything on Little City yet. Built a new port in Arcadia, as the first one is fully occupied, and the 2nd one is using 120 of 650.

Question: Where do you think a all-commercial city would be placed best?

Edited by Sgt. Rho, 29 December 2010 - 01:54.

#199 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:01

View PostSgt. Rho, on 29 Dec 2010, 1:52, said:

Posted Image

Update: I have now a solar and nuclear powerplant in Arcadia, all cities exept Smallville have the subway, haven't done anything on Little City yet. Built a new port in Arcadia, as the first one is fully occupied, and the 2nd one is using 120 of 650.

Question: Where do you think a all-commercial city would be placed best?

To the nearest edge of the city with lots of residential. Which from the picture I would say looks like Little City. I tend not to have commercial office cities, I find it much better to zone large office areas in my residential cities. Commercial services on the otherhand I tend to build outside the cities. I never seem to have enough CS$ or CS$$$ and it needs so much space to get a high number of jobs, so its better zoned outside the city. Plus you will have a much smaller volume of traffic heading to a commercial services area than a commercial office one.

Don't underestimate the importance of taxing as well. CO$$$ office will often take over CO$$ office, which means its often in demand. You can temporarily raise the CO$$$ taxes when you build a new office area. Then make historic the CO$$ you want to remain, bulldoze the rest and then lower CO$$$ taxes again. You can also tax R$$$ very highly and as long as you provide the right services and desirability, they won't abandon. It's a good money maker, plus R$$$ are by far the worst wealth band of citizens to have. Very picky about jobs, creates high demand for CS$$$ and will rarely use public transport.

By picky I mean the following. Almost every building has 3 types of worker. R$, R$$ and R$$$. Say you have a high wealth commercial office which employs 7000 people. The jobs are split approximately - 20% R$, 75% R$$, 5% R$$$. For lower wealth buildings the split is even worse. This is why you can provide shitload of jobs, but the R$$$ will still complain they have no jobs.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#200 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 13:52

Posted Image

More stuff. The northern part of New City is all IHT and Co$$/Co$$$ right now. Also I build another two nuclear plants in Arcadia, since 1 and a solar plant couldn't keep up with the power for the whole region.

Posted Image

Xtreme garbage dumping :D

Edited by Sgt. Rho, 29 December 2010 - 15:40.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users