#76 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 23 December 2010 - 18:47

View PostWizard, on 23 Dec 2010, 15:47, said:

View PostSquigPie, on 23 Dec 2010, 15:45, said:

Which race will you guys try campaign with first? Orks for me I think, then Space Marines. Gotta love that Pirate hat.

Hmmm, lemme think about at that...... :xD:

SM, Inquisition, Chaos, Orks or Eldar, 'Nids (dead [as they should be] last)

You share my opinion that the nids are fucking boring then ^ I honestly never got why people raged so much about them. Compared to the originality and depth of the other races they're nothing. Not that space marines are anything new, though at the time of conception, maybe they were? I honestly have no idea when Warhammer 40k started, have to google it sometime. That said, the lore for the SM is pretty fascinating.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#77 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 20:19

Meh, I've always found Space Marines (Although mostly Ultramarines/Smurfs) to be the dull spotlight-stealers. Orkz and Guards all the way.

To answer your question, Warhammer 40k was concieved somewhere in the 1980's. It was originally much sillier and essentially Warhammer Fantasy in space.

Edited by SquigPie, 23 December 2010 - 20:21.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#78 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 23:10

Hey Wizard, know what you said about how Inquisition being the next race was obvious?

Yeah, according to Gamestar.de, Relic trolled you. Although you were somewhat right, as Inquisitor is a hero.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#79 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 05 January 2011 - 23:19

View PostSquigPie, on 5 Jan 2011, 23:10, said:

Hey Wizard, know what you said about how Inquisition being the next race was obvious?

Yeah, according to Gamestar.de, Relic trolled you. Although you were somewhat right, as Inquisitor is a hero.

Pity, I second alot of the opinions there. IG are boring.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#80 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 23:21

Nah, IG are awesome, they're the underdog in a universe of daemons and killing machines, they just soldier on, I find that...interesting.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#81 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:54

View PostIon Cannon!, on 5 Jan 2011, 23:19, said:

View PostSquigPie, on 5 Jan 2011, 23:10, said:

Pity, I second alot of the opinions there. IG are boring.

I agree with Ion here. IG are boring. They were boring up to T3 in DC etc., and looks like they are going to totally knacker the balance in MP as well now with vehicles in T1 (how do you counter that or will they made out of papermache or something?!) And what is the point of an Inquisitor Lord as 1 of the heros?!? Might suit the SP game but hardly cuts into the MP very well.

Disappointing to say the least.

#82 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:11

Meh, Inquisition are boring as hell, they're just Space Marines and IG mixed in a blender.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#83 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:19

Which is better than just IG |8

I won't go into how very different from each they actually are though.

#84 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:12

View PostWizard, on 6 Jan 2011, 12:19, said:

Which is better than just IG |8

I've always considered Space Marines to be the spotlight stealing Mary Sues of the verse, Not that I love IG, I just find them more interesting.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#85 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 13:05

View PostSquigPie, on 6 Jan 2011, 12:12, said:

Which is better than just IG :duh:

I've always considered Space Marines to be the spotlight stealing Mary Sues of the verse, Not that I love IG, I just find them more interesting.

They're 10 foot tall, genetically engineered (literally immortal) super-human killing machines. Ofc they are spotlight steelers. Hardly shrinking violets. Literally nothing about IG (besides the Baneblade) follows the rule of cool anyway.

Edited by Wizard, 06 January 2011 - 13:05.

#86 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 19:24

View PostWizard, on 6 Jan 2011, 14:05, said:

View PostSquigPie, on 6 Jan 2011, 12:12, said:

Which is better than just IG :duh:

They're 10 foot tall, genetically engineered (literally immortal) super-human killing machines. Ofc they are spotlight steelers. Hardly shrinking violets. Literally nothing about IG (besides the Baneblade) follows the rule of cool anyway.

That's why people like them |8

Because they ain't crazy killing machines, they're just normal guys fighting to preserve humanity.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#87 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 22:18

http://pc.ign.com/ar.../1144587p1.html

It seems most IG's units are back(specially Baneblade) and some new units.

#88 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 23:14

I am far more interested in the Canon for the game. Interesting to see Kyras actually appearing.

#89 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:52

View PostWizard, on 20 Jan 2011, 0:14, said:

I am far more interested in the Canon for the game. Interesting to see Kyras actually appearing.

U mad? :likey:

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#90 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 13:13

“I’ll toughen you up, or use you up. Perhaps both, as the Imperium requires.” – Lord General Castor

The Imperial Guard is the new race being introduced in Dawn of War II: Retribution, but their increased presence in sub-sector Aurelia comes amidst a great deal of danger. Daemonic incursions, the continued presence of xenos filth, renegade guardsmen, and now accusations that the Chapter Master of the Blood Ravens is under some kind of influence from the Warp. Things have to be set right, one way or the other, and it is fresh eyes that are free from the corruption in sub-sector Aurelia that are going to make the assessment at the request of Gabriel Angelos. So enter Lord General Castor of the Imperial Guard and Inquisitor Adrastia into the maelstrom.

Posted Image
The Imperial Guard of Cadia have recently entered sub-sector Aurelia en masse to combat the constant xenos and daemonic threats that plague it. The Imperial Guard is commanded by Lord General Castor, who arrives feeling nothing but contempt for the guardsmen deployed in the area. He is there to clean up a mess that has been allowed to grow and fester thanks to their incompetence. Castor has the tools and authority at his disposal to make this happen. Bionic enhancements enable Castor to wield large guns one-handed, such as his initial rifle which grants the ability High Powered Shot, that can drop xenos infantry from long range. He may also call for Valkyrie Support to reinforce his own infantry. As a Lord General though, his authority is wide ranging and he can call in the big guns for further reinforcement, such as the Valkyrie Leman Russ Drop. Where and when he needs it, the massive Leman Russ tank is flown in to take the fight to the enemy. Make no mistake, reinforcements of this kind will be needed.

Posted Image
Adrastia, an Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor, is using the Lord General and a few others to aid in her investigation into whether or not the allegations against Chapter Master Kyras are accurate. This mission could save or doom the sector to the cold hand of the Exterminatus, which will wipe out all life in the sub-sector to cleanse the contaminated worlds and prevent the spread of the xenos and heretical threats. Adrastia will use any means at her disposal to investigate Kyras, and she is not afraid to get her hands dirty in the process. Her base ability in the campaign is Hammer of the Witches, a stun that effects a single target and causes it to burst into flames. Purgatus is an ability that is unlocked at later levels, and creates an expanding ring of flame. Those infantry units inside the ring get stunned while those standing on the flame ring as the ability concludes its effects take massive damage.

Posted Image
Sergeant Merrick is a practical addition to the group. He is a veteran guardsman and has seen extensive combat over the last decade. Merrick’s world view is in sharp contrast to the others, as he fights for his squadmates and brothers in arms first, and the Imperium second. His experience fighting has taught him a great deal about the sub-sector’s worlds, and Merrick’s base ability is Infiltrate, allowing him to go undetected by enemies and gather intelligence. His Flare ability reveals an area, causing enemies in it to take extra damage, and at higher levels he can also call in an Artillery Barrage on his active flares. He may be a bit bitter and cynical, but the good Sergeant can fix most problems with some well directed firepower.

Posted Image
Commissar Lord Bernn travels with the group to ensure the support of the guardsmen that are recruited and requisitioned to get the job done. Few things can motivate the rank and file like a Commissar and his pistol. Lord Bernn’s base ability in the campaign is in fact Execute, which eliminates a coward from a squad, causing the rest of the squad members to become immune to suppression and deal more damage. Several of Lord Bernn’s abilities at later levels are triggered from or enhance the effects of his Execute ability, such as Till the Last! With this ability, using Execute will make the squad and Lord Bernn himself temporarily invulnerable. It’s always a good idea to keep a few extra squads around so that Commissar Lord Bernn can properly inspire the guardsmen.

The start of the Imperial Guard campaign in Dawn of War II: Retribution opens with Inquisitor Adrastia and Lord General Castor beginning their mission in a subtle fashion. They are gathering intelligence on Typhon and looking to recruit further assistance from the guardsmen there. There is little time to waste however, the investigation of the Blood Ravens Chapter Master must be concluded before the arrival of the full weight of the Inquisition.

Matchmaking
Arguably the most significant change is the new matchmaking system. Previously in DOW2 and Chaos Rising we used the TrueSkill system, which had some weaknesses when it came to RTS matchmaking. One of these was that there wasn’t enough granularity in the ranking. With only 50 ranks it was hard to separate players, and especially hard to rank them on a leaderboard. With Retribution we are implementing a modified Elo system. Elo is a ranking system used in competitive chess and many other RTS games.

In our Elo system players will start at 0 points and play a series of matches in a placement phase. During the placement phase a player’s skill rating will increase to a number around the 1500 mark. After that players will gain or lose points depending on whether they win or lose, and the degree to which depends on the strength of their opponent. That is the basic system but there are a couple of twists.

The first twist is a rest system. We looked at what Blizzard did with BattleNet and were impressed with how they implemented this system, as it has several benefits. The rest system works in the following way: From the release of the game players accrue points on a daily basis. When a player wins a match and their rest pool is larger than 0 additional points are added to the points they would normally get for a win. For example, if you win and receive 12 points, the rest system would add an additional 12 points to your score. We believe this is a good system because instead of punishing inactive players with decay a rest system gives incentive for active players to continue to play on a regular basis to use their rest. Another advantage is an inactive player using the rest bonus can quickly rise up to their proper skill rating, without spending too much time beating up on players less skilled than him.

The second twist is a hidden streak modifier. When players go on hot and cold streaks the system will modify their score in the background and match them to more appropriate players. When you go on win streaks you will continue to match higher and higher rated players. This will allow more skilled players to rise faster. Alternatively, when you go on cold streaks you will match lower rated opponents. We feel that these additions to the traditional Elo system should keep players matched against other players around their proper skill level.

Good news that Trueskill has gone the way of the dodo. Can't say that IG particularly appeal to me, but I remain to be convinced.

#91 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 14:43

IG character models don't fit my taste but...heh, I'll let that slide.
Posted Image

#92 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:41

Inquisitor Adrastia, now where have I seen that sort of armour befo..........oh! I know! She looks like a witch-hunter'd Sister of Battle. 8| Real original there THQ.......real original.....
Posted Image

#93 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:21

View PostSgt. Nuker, on 24 Jan 2011, 7:41, said:

Inquisitor Adrastia, now where have I seen that sort of armour befo..........oh! I know! She looks like a witch-hunter'd Sister of Battle. 8| Real original there Relic.......real original.....

Yeah well, every time they DO make something different than it's TT equilant, they get swarmed by gazillions of angry fans wanting it closer to TT. It's a lose/lose situation.

Also, Phix'd

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#94 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 13:40

View PostSgt. Nuker, on 24 Jan 2011, 6:41, said:

Inquisitor Adrastia, now where have I seen that sort of armour befo..........oh! I know! She looks like a witch-hunter'd Sister of Battle. 8| Real original there THQ.......real original.....

As I think we've said before, they have to go with what is popular (ish). From what I've seen from all over the 40k boards IG/Inquisition/SOB were at least the most vocal opinions for addition to the DoW II franchise. Whilst there were lots of Tau fans complaining in a shrill, eunuch sort of way :), what Relic/THQ have done is to give people what they wanted. The latest faction has elements of what people asked for. In one way it does show that at least the developers listen to their consumers. Even more so since they've just had a poll out last week asking which Chapter their next game should be based on.

Edited by Wizard, 24 January 2011 - 13:41.

#95 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:54

So it seems then, that the people like to stay with the familiar and don't seem to trust THQ to come up with a decent design of their own. Ugh.......yet another reason I despise the "trendy/popular" thing(s).

I agree that it's all fine and well that developers listen to the people, but honestly, this is one of those areas where listening too much to the fan-base has been a bit of a bother.

There will always be Fishie fans......always. The good news is, that THQ has chosen to ignore them...at least for the foreseeable future.
Posted Image

#96 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:06

Relic Nooka! Relic! THQ is just the publisher!

Awww maan, why did Black Templars have to win that poll? Thousand Sons was on it! I want my Tzeentchian Marines!

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#97 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 13:37

Rubric Marines Squigpie, Rubric Marines! Tzeentch is just their chaos god. 8|

Edited by Sgt. Nuker, 26 January 2011 - 17:38.

Posted Image

#98 NergiZed

^^^ Pronouced like the battery brand ^^^

• 2992 posts
  • Projects: Shockwave and Rise of the Reds

Posted 26 January 2011 - 16:15

OK gents, I have DoW II and Chaos Rising, but I haven't even finished playing the first DoWII. Is the steam pre-order content worth getting Retribution now or should I just wait a year or two for a sale?

#99 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 16:23

Unless you're a heavy MP player or a massive race fan, don't bother and wait. I doubt that this version will radically alter game play in the campaign so you can afford to wait sit it out for another THQ sale.

#100 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:14

IG looks waay better than the old series, and I liked the Inquisitor Hero, can't wait :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users